Lead arm

What should I do with the lead arm? Can I do anything with it as long as it helps the shoulders rotate?..Some coaches tell me to throw my glove and go get it but i dont really like the idea of my arm getting far away from my body. Any ideas?

I teach my pitchers to roll and tuck their glove out in front of their chest and keep it stationary and let their chest go to their glove. I have them visualize grabbing onto a pole and pulling their chest forward to their glove. Keeping the glove stationary allows the back side to rotate into a stationary front side creating more force and it also allows both shoulders(throwing side and glove side) to completely unload.

Pointing your glove at the target does two things. First, it ensures that your shoulders are in line with the target. Second, it allows you to use your glove-side arm to facilitate the rotation of your shoulders.

Grimes right now the only think I would concentrate on is working your lead arm only to help you stay closed dont dwell on this sounds like you may have other issues. thumb down elbow up. you have some room here there is no set lead arm mechanics that are etched in stone. just dont let it hang there like a old rag . You dont have to have it straight out/locked out. the opposite of the highcock position is good. When you start to acelerate your throwing arm the lead arm simutaneously does the exact opposite. The throwing arm goes from external to internal rotation while the glove arm goes from internaL rotation to external rotation.

I was having control problems along with decrease of velocity.

It took me about one game to realize what I was doing wrong. My glove arm wasn’t pointed at the target, also when I pulled my glove arm back I was pulling it softly.

I tried to explosively pull my lead arm or glove arm back and I was able to regain my true velocity, maybe even increasing it.

Also I tried to point at the target with the glove and it worked very well. I think it’s much easier to spot where I want my pitch to go.

I don’t know if “throwing” your lead arm explosively really helps you to gain some velocity but I think it worked for me.

how do i get it to help me stay closed? what should I keep in mind while concerning my lead arm?..also i think the front arm has some correlation with what the back arm does… keeping it closed should help with seperation right??? with good lower body mechanics and keeping my upperbody closed and having intent to throw hard that should lead to alot of power…I am gonna work on it…Any thoughts?

The ball will tend to go where your shoulders are pointing.

This works becaue it helps the shoulders turn.

How you pull it in is much more important than how you throw it out.

I prefer that pitchers smoothly pendulum swing their glove arm up to a position in which it is pointing at the plate.

If your glove arm is pointing at the target, then by definition your shoulders are closed.

The longer you can maintain this position with your hips rotating under you, the more powerfully you will be able to rotate you shoulders.

Chris
How many MLB pitchers actually point their glove at the target? None that I can find. They just don’t do it. Check out the videos I sent you. They all have a very similar lead arm action but it’s not pointing at the target. The glove actually starts out pointing in the general vicinity of the 3rd base dugout. The thing you’ll find most common is the path the elbow takes. Roughly horizontal, across the front, down and back as the glove comes back to beside the chest, approximately.

Where did this idea of pointing the glove at the target come from? Not from the major leaguers.

Also, I see no connection between where your shoulders are pointing and where the ball goes. There are just too many variables to follow for that to have any bearing whatsoever.

Many (e.g. Bob Gibson), at least point their glove-side upper arms at the target (but point their glove-side forearm at 3B). This may help them rotate their shoulders farther.

The problem is that some don’t because many pitchers reverse-rotate their shoulders so that their glove-side arms (while extended) point up the third base line.

As I discuss above, you have to treat the glove-side upper arms and glove-side forearms separately.

This is very common advice when it comes to position players; to get your feet, hips, and shoulders in line with the target. The same idea also applies to footbal quarterbacks.

The idea is to maximize the distance that the shoulders turn. Pointing the glove at the target is a cue to help ensure that this happens. However, you can modify the cue as long as the result is the same.