Lateral Explosion

Simple question for the fitness gurus…

Just dawned on me the other day after I played a game of pickup football. The day after my hips and glutes were a bit sore. Much different then if I did some sprints or some distance running. I make this out to be from lateral cuts and having to stop and start all the time.

With this being said, would doing suicides be much more beneficial than just normal sprints? Stopping, turning and driving off.

[quote=“Hammer”]Simple question for the fitness gurus…

Just dawned on me the other day after I played a game of pickup football. The day after my hips and glutes were a bit sore. Much different then if I did some sprints or some distance running. I make this out to be from lateral cuts and having to stop and start all the time.

With this being said, would doing suicides be much more beneficial than just normal sprints? Stopping, turning and driving off.[/quote]
It’s hard to say if the soreness was due to the lateral movements of playing football, or rather due to all the other aspects - the explosive first step, jumping, constantly starting and decelerating, etc. When you want to compare it to regular sprinting or running, obviously you have quite a few variables at play.

That being said, to answer your question, I’d say that you should work through the various planes of movement through your program. That would include lateral stuff (you can work with speed ladders), sprinting and quickly decelerating, backpedeling followed by sprints (same direction or opposite direction), etc. There are many possibilities. Dont be afraid to add different things to your workouts if you think they’ll benefit you.

i use the hoops u vertical leap work out to help with my explosion off of the mound. check it out at

http://www.baragaschools.org/images/GoVikings/GoVikings/BoysBBall/HoopsU.com_Vertical_Jump_Training_Workout.pdf