Late torso rotation?

What does it mean to have late torso rotation while pitching? Does anyone have any good examples?

That refers to delaying shoulder rotation (i.e. staying closed) to allow the hips to rotate before the shoulders. The purpose is to stretch the muscles of the torso (much like stretching a rubberband) in order to maximize shoulder rotation.

Basically, its how your shoulders seperate in comparison to your hips. Someone who hips open early, but are able to stay closed with their shoulders until just before the arm goes on the throwing plane, is someone who is going to throw very hard.
When you seperate your hips and your shoulders, your kind of coiling up energy in your torso, and then depending how strong your core is, everything snaps around at the last moment. This is the kind of mechanical movement that seperates the guys who sit at 88-90, from those who sit at 94+. Guys like Zumaya, Clemens, and Lincecum all have off the charts seperation, which is why they all throw 96+(or threw, in Clemens’s case)

Here is Tim Lincecum. Notice his shoulders are still “closed”, while his hips have already opened (belt buckle pointing towards homeplate).

xv84
great picture

im pretty sure lincecum has a very strong core

with his long stride building up tons of momentum which then transfered to the torso. its sort of a sling shot for the shoulders to deliver the arm and ball

but seriously dude great picture

im pretty sure if pitchers work on core strength and maximizing torso rotation while keeping closed shoulders

they’ll add on a couple mph

Don’t forget, guys, that timing is a huge issue in this as well. If that separation happens, pauses, then continues, you won’t get the same effect as when the shoulders start immediately upon the hips hitting their maximum velocity. Google “stretch shortening cycle”. A muscle’s most powerful “concentric” contraction is immediately following an “eccentric” one. A hesitation in this causes the energy built up to be dissipated as heat and not effectively used.

Timing. It’s what high level pitchers excel at.

Yea, it requires a very strong core to slingshot everything around, but you will find that every pitcher who throws mid to high 90’s all feature this same mechanical trait.

http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAGZ157_8x10~Joel-Zumaya-Posters.jpg (Zumaya)

http://www.astrosdaily.com/files/gallery/Ryan_Nolan_09.jpg (Ryan)

You’ll have a hard time finding a pro pitcher who doesn’t do this. Just remember, it’s not just the fact that they get themselves in this position at some point, but it’s how it fits into the overall context of throwing the ball that’s important. Timing. You won’t get too much on the ball if you were to just start in this position and throw. It’s really a “component” that has to be timed well, which the pros do.

Exactly

My timings been messed up thus i been throwing about 76 mph which is ridiculous. My friends who throw 80 are laughing at me :slight_smile:

But strong legs provide a thrust towards the plate dragging the torso and arms.

The stomach and hips rotate causing more torque for the shoulders to sling the ball over.

See zumayas arm angle… crazy right. I think that too plays a part too