Last guy::: 17 year old. 6'4 225. Help!(4 different angles)

He has had major control problems. All the potential in the world but can’t throw strikes consistently…

I can’ t seem to get the video to behave properly on my phone, so I’ll try on the PC tomorrow. Some things I did notice were: striding to the right of the target line and coming across right to the left with the pitching arm. He’s not getting that glove arm extended to the target–it’s down at his left hip. His hands break a bit high and early. It also doesn’t seem that he’s finishing his leg drive. I wasn’t able to stop the video where I wanted to, so I can’t yet give any feedback about timing. I’ll be able to see more with my computer.

First things first. How hard is he throwing currently?

I really don’t know. I’d say low 80’s.

Several points to consider.

He never gets going with his hips. He needs to lead with his hips.

He has very little hip shoulder separation. They both seem to open together.

Glove side needs to be more stable, He starts out front then just collapses the glove in.

Arm action has somewhat of a disconnect. IMO this starts with way too much movement at th start of his motion, causing him to rush his arm at release and pulling it across his body.

I guess nobody ever told him about “The Secret”. He needs to learn that, and quickly. He has to get his whole body involved in his delivery. Well, I’ve talked about that a lot, because I learned it a long time ago, but it doesn’t hurt to mention it again. I saw the Yankees’ Big Three and how they did it—they drove off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, thus generating more power behind their pitches (and taking a lot of pressure off the shoulder and the arm in the process), so they could throw harder and faster with less effort. The hips were the connection between the lower and upper halves of the body.
He should look up the “Hershiser” drill and get going with it. This will help get the hips involved, and therein is the key. 8)

I’ve now had an opportunity to examine the video from home. For some reason my cell phone doesn’t recognize multiple fast stops and starts so I couldn’t isolate the frames I wanted. But it is what it is.

Turn is also right on as well as Zita when she’s talking about the Hershiser Drill being of some benefit to this pitcher.

Here are the things that I take from this video:
-the shoulders never get over the target line. The shoulders are never pointing toward the target. the energy is moving at a tangent to the right of the target line. He seems to be striding toward the right hand batter’s box. He’s bound to have control issues because his control is based upon a series of adjustments he has to make with the upper half to compensate for the damage the bottom half did setting up his delivery. I would say that fixing his stride direction would get him on the path to more consistent throwing. This misdirection of the lower half is directly causing accuracy problems, improper arm action across his body, early drop of the glove side which are all evident.
-he’s collapsing on the back leg which is causing an energy drain and slowing his forward momentum and therefore he is definitely not leading with the hips as both Zita and Turn have pointed out. He could get at least another 8" of forward hip movement by not collapsing that back knee and working the Hershiser Drill. This would also allow for full extension of the drive leg, which is not happening right now and also costing him some velocity. This back leg is also the root cause for his lack of hip/shoulder separation.

• on his final pitch, he follows through with his palm facing up. Was this a curve ball? He should be throwing fastballs for video analysis, in my opinion. If this is his fastball follow through we should be seeing some pronation.

Things I liked that need to remain after any ‘futzing’ with the delivery:
-great external rotation
-good bracing on his front leg is helping to transfer power to the upper half
-his glove gets out to the right distance, but needs to also be over his stride foot (it withdraws too quickly due to other flaws and is caused from having to rush his arms due to loss of forward momentum from the knee collapse and lack of forward hip position)
-his throwing elbow is ahead of his torso at release
-his release is well out front

Key focuses should be getting down the target line with the hips forward and not collapsing the back knee. That’s where I’d spend my time. Not having to rush the delivery should restore a good portion of the missing hip/shoulder separation.

I hope this helps.

"The Secret"
Question is why is it still a secret. So many kids have no idea about the secret. It’s amazing to me with the information technology and resources out here, how a mechanical issue so simple, yet so important, could be so widely overlooked.

I’ve seen so many guys who simply do not get their legs and core involved, then wonder how they can’t throw as hard as Pitcher X, “Cause Coach, I’m a lot stronger than he is.”

Once The Secret is explained and implemented, you can almost see the lightbulb go on when they get it.

He could throw a lot harder if he just drove his stride foot down and rotated around it. Thinking about separation doesn’t do much good, since that is basically dictated by hip action.

Ever seen Gerrit Cole throw a baseball?