Last game vids comments PLZ!

we won this game 17-4

i know my leg mechanics are messed up :stuck_out_tongue: open up to early foot is to 1st base side.

but anything else u can see?

thnx in advance
ane idea how fast the first fastball would be ?
mid high 70’s or even 80’s ?

Rod, I’m not a mechanic’s guy, but I’ve got a couple of things you may want to consider;
First, it may be the angle, but you lean the whole time towards 1st base, I’d suggest that you work on posture, try to center gravity between your feet at the power position, it appears at that moment you lean back towards first.
Second, it appears your front leg collapses at release, you may develop a little more speed and accuracy if you can post on it, what I mean is, you stride to what looks like about 90%, it’s bent when you reach foot strike, keep bringing your body forward momentum wise towards the plate, it will force your leg straight and allow your hips to rotate your back leg (Watch Josh Beckett)…it’s a pet peeve of alot of the mechs guys, but I think it isn’t a bad thing to be squared and balanced after release (Not that you shouldn’t fall off…if your mechs, motion and body go that way…oh well).
Third, try lifting your knee a little higher, it looks like your foot is going towards third (With your leaning back it’s kind of a sort of compensation to regain balance), when you are balanced your knee should come up and your foot is under you.
It’s just my opinion but I think you will gain some speed, accuaracy and also find you aren’t as tired after a game because you won’t be fighting yourself all day trying to regain balance if you modify where I’ve mentioned.
Or I could be full of it and lead you to TJ surgury :roll: so just consider what I’ve said, mention it to your pitching coach and see if it’ll work for you.
Wouldn’t be able to guess the speed…your range may be correct.

In your avitar you are more balanced than in your vid… :smiley:

Your pivot foot seems to be in a hole - in front of the rubber. So, here’s an absolute about pitching:
— starting off with your main balance/ momentum stabilizer in a hole, starts you off IN THE HOLE.
Anything that follows is going to go down hill from there. ----
Also, because your pivot foot is in a hole, your toe is pointing downward, which will force your weight slightly off towards the third base line, initially.
Then, as you drive forward your body’s balancing mechanism(s) go to work by OVER CORRECTING. Hence your now throwing accross yourself. Take a closer look at your video an what I alluded to just now. The final proof of the pudding is your stride foot pointing off to the first base line when you land and – if you look closely, your stride foot actually grinds sideways – again towards the first base line.

Level off the surface in front of the rubber, seeing how you prefer that style as appose to the :: step-back-rock, which is mostly impossible on most public and private diamonds.

Then I would suggest adjusting your feel to this level surface condition by first using a gentle leg lift - no higher then a foot off the ground as you turn, then sweep your stride foot -about six inches accross the mounds surface, just to get the feel of your controlled shift in weight driving towards home (target). Concentrate on planting your stride FOOT squarely at your target- not off towards the first base line. Concentrate, concentrate, concentrate on this fundamental stride foot discipline.
You’ll find that staying more upright during you stride - at first, gonig slow and easy does it, will sooner or later give you time to adjust to what’s needed to correct what you have been doing.

Mind you, this is just a starting point - not an end in itself. Practice and concentrate on your own, in front of a mirror - floor length if you have one. At the same time, reinforce your muscle memory to this posture.
it’s that important. Why? If you continue with this stride posture that you posted on your video, your forcing your stride leg/knee with loads it was not designed to support. In addition, your now probably experiencing stiffness in the base of the neck and lower back - if not in the near future, if you continue. And by the way, try and focus on the catcher’s mask as a target while you settling in with this discipline. This tageting point allows you to be a bit higher in your flight path of the ball and will help you ease the transition process.

Overall though, you seem to have great punch to your delivery. Simply work on the above - slow and easy does it and I guarantee you’ll be a competitor with an awesome command of the hill.

thanks for the replys guys:)

baker, what u mean with punch?

And what u think of the velocity
i think its quiet slow tho, but few ppl say its hard.
so i really have no idea lol.

I apologize for using a term that’s unfamiliar to you. Besides the word is kind-a dating myself because the phrase “pitch with a punch” was used during the 50”s and early 60’s for a pitch that had a dubious purpose, but nevertheless was a pitch that had less velocity than a pitcher’s best fastball and more velocity than a pitcher’s off-speed. So, if a pitcher had a 90mph fastball and a 75mph off-speed – the “pitch with a punch” had a velocity of between 75-80mph. Why such a pitch with such a name? Well, during that time period the amateur game for age fourteen (14) and above was a lot different then it is today. Spiking each other, taking-out the second baseman big time, clipping the first baseman while rounding the bag, were common place. So, if two of your guys were hit with a pitch in the same game, the next inning when your guy took the mound and faced the very first batter of the opposing team – no signal was necessary. The target was usually the hip or top of the thigh of the batter- but the pitcher wouldn’t be throwing his best cheese (fastball), nor would it be a slow creeper. The pitch would feel like a punch to the leg(s). Hence, the slang for the pitch.
When I gave you that description to your pitches I was referring to a deliberate velocity – not overpowering, yet, not off-speed velocity either. The words that I should have used to describe your pitch best would be deliberate velocity – and that’s a good thing.
With respect to other people saying your pitch is hard, they’re probably ref to the constant speed of the ball from the time it leaves your hand to the time it’s caught by your backstop. That’s my guess anyway

jdfromfla

(I’d suggest that you work on posture, try to center gravity between your feet at the power position,)

If i try this, it feels like im making myself smaller. Dunt know how to explain really.
but since i Mostly lean back( I blame the mound for the most cuz our field is to old, were getting new one next season ^^) my back is like this / pointing to 1b. So could that be correct ?

Keeping closed longer, would that help my foot go straighter? cuz it doesnt have much time to turn any further then

btw arm actions seem all fine? since had an arm injury, wich is gone now tho. threw to much :o

"If i try this, it feels like im making myself smaller. Dunt know how to explain really.
but since i Mostly lean back( I blame the mound for the most cuz our field is to old, were getting new one next season ^^) my back is like this / pointing to 1b. So could that be correct ? "

I don’t understand what you mean by smaller, keeping centered is keeping your head and shoulders at the highest potential spot. I wonder was your avitar a photo of you from the stretch?
As for the mound…I suspect the dutch have a roto-tiller somewhere, and a level, get with the rest of your staff and fix it…don’t wait, unless your season is too far gone.
Again it’s my opinion but any time I see a guy out of balance from get go I’m doing a couple of things, first I’m having my guys try to run the count on you because I’m thinking that if I get your pitch count up you’ll tire into some mistakes and I’m going to capitalize on that and I’m going to force you to throw strikes so I’ll force you into the zone and again we’re going to succeed :smiley: and second, I’m bunt to the third base side at opportune moments.
Your arm action IMO is your best attribute, but for my dollar you are leaving several mph on the table and tireing yourself unnecessarily. Do you come back stateside often? Or do you have a guy that you call a pitching coach? If you do have someone spend some time with you…Jacksonville is a great port of entry, if you ever make it through here let me know and I’ll set you up a session with someone who can help mechanically.
A couple of drills I would recommend to you would be step-behinds and toe taps, both work on posture and timing, I’d also step back to basics somewhat and just do some fundemental, power position throwing so you can get to feeling like it is normal (Start on a knee and work up from there), it’ll also help you with momentum, using the front leg properly and help to smooth out your delivery…the only thing I can think of with the smaller comment is that perhaps you over-stride (I know, I know…lots of guru’s say 100% isn’t too much, but I believe that you can over-stride to the detriment of balance.

Again Rod I am not a mechanics expert, but I study some real experts and what I’ve expressed partially comes from what I’ve learned from them and what I’ve personally experienced, so my best recommendation is to get you with a trained person and iron out some of the rough spots.

Hey, well ya the mound is flat. 2nd, u dunt get me tired lol assoon as ppl start to say ooh pitcher is tired, i get shitload of energy, dunno how or why, but even more and faster strikes;p.

anyways, im in holland, so visit on states is kinda xpensive:P

i do have a pitchin coach ill talk to him about it:)

again, thanks alot:)

I understand the expense thing :smiley:
If you got a team that actually says that, they don’t have much going for them in the first place :wink:

Give that drill work a shot…glad you have someone to actually watch you throw a pen. I was hoping…anyway keep us up with your progess.

Ill try to tape sum . we got winterstop right now.

indoor practiceses probably will be alot of techniques and such
so prolly alot of pitching mechanics to:) so thats good

I would really like to have seen a side view. But what I can see is…

You definitely have a posture issue. It very well may start with the big rocker step to the side throwing off your balance. I would suggest minimizing the size of that step or step back more toward 2B.

I also think you have a balance issue which causes you to open up your front foot too far. You could probably benefit from a increase in momentum. Get your hips moving forward sooner and faster and lead with your front hip a bit longer into your stride.

thanks roger:)

Ill try to tape sum bull pens or whatever, as soon as i think i got a few thinks fixed

Could anyone give me a link of a pitcher( of my size and posture that kinda stuff) where i could see the hip to toe actions good?

have been looking in the clips for abt 10 minutes couldnt find a good one :frowning:

Rodri