Last chance... anyone have high risk/reward ideas for velo?

I currently sit at 82 on the mound as a junior, and the season is winding down. I don’t pitch much, if ever, so I am going to start training for velocity this coming week… all the way until next season. It’s pretty much the last stretch for me… senior year, and I NEED to throw hard. Not for scholarships, etc., but just because I want it so badly. Admittedly, I haven’t put much effort into velocity training, but now I am extremely serious about it.

I believe I read an article, possibly by cressey, awhile back that talked about something along the lines of high risk/reward training, and that a player substantially increased his velocity in the off season.

I’m thinking Long toss with weighted balls as well
Tons of med ball tosses
Explosive training
flexibility work

Not sure what else TBH

any ideas?

Do note, I AM serious about this… I do not care about the risk at this point, if it has a chance of high reward

Thank you

I love Cressey’s programs but long toss won’t help you throw faster in my opinion (I don’t like long toss). Since the season is winding down, you want to finish strong so try lengthening your stride and try this first exercise from this link.

http://www.ericcressey.com/tag/tim-collins

Should help you increase velocity in very little time. Along with the stride exercises in the link.

I wouldn’t mess around and long toss weighted balls. The two exercises are great separately, but when done in conjection, the result could be disastrous. Read up on everything Wolforth/Nyman have written on weighted balls and everything Jaeger has written on long toss you should begin to get a fairly good grasp on what a good throwing program looks like.

in all honesty… you can take the do it yourself and trial and error route that I did for most of high school, or save yourself a lot of time and make the investment and hire an excellent strength coach to get you started.

When I was a junior in high school, I was making 8$/hour over the summer and umping little league game on weekends in season, and I managed to pay for a couple sessions with Nick Tumminello every month. I took FULL advantage of these, asking dozens of questions, soaking in everything, and making valuable connections. All in all I may have done a dozen sessions but I spread them out and got so much better and more knowledgable because of that.

If I were you, I might think about making an investment and contacting Eric Cressey or another high level baseball strength coach/ individual with a history of consistently improving player’s velocities. You absolutely can’t go wrong if you attend the Ron Wolforth baseball ranch over the summer either, which addresses the mechanical side of things a bit more.

There are certainly ways to get better without having a lot of money, as I have shown, but if you do happen to be in a position to do so, there are ways to speed up those results and the trial and error process. $1000 goes a LONG way if you know how to spend it…I’ve pretty much funded my extra baseball expenses off of a couple summers of minimum wage jobs. You won’t regret it and the investment will pay off tenfold.

[quote=“N0va”]I love Cressey’s programs but long toss won’t help you throw faster in my opinion (I don’t like long toss). Since the season is winding down, you want to finish strong so try lengthening your stride and try this first exercise from this link.

http://www.ericcressey.com/tag/tim-collins

Should help you increase velocity in very little time. Along with the stride exercises in the link.[/quote]

I don’t really agree with this. Long toss is only as good as you know how to use it. I didn’t always used to like long toss but I also didn’t always do it right. Look up alan jaeger on youtube it absolutely can be extremely effective if you know what you’re doing.

While I like most of cressey’s medball exercises, it’s not a magic bullet that will suddenly increase your velocity. Lengthening the stride is also not a magic bullet, as there are plenty of ways you can lengthen a stride and have it NOT improve velocity. High level throwers often have long strides but this is a result of doing OTHER things right earlier on in the delivery. Over time a good medball program may add a tick to your velocity, and it has a place in a good program, but it is not a quick fix.

My early post is just trying to keep things simple for you and give you the best chance at achieving your goals given how far behind your are and with only 1 year to go.

:allgood:

The NPA/RDRBI has a new program. It was originally pursued as a way to strengthen the shoulder to make it more durable. But, as a byproduct, significant velocity resulted. The program is expensive but has very good results. It’s also personalized to each pitcher. If you can find an NPA-certified instructor near you he should be able to hook you up.

Sent you a pm.

Dallas Keuchel now with the OKC Redhawks was at our facility and used the Wolforth weighted ball program(TAP Connection Building Block DVD)to the letter. He saw his fastball jump from 84-85 jump to 89-91 over 2 months. It will be interesting to see how he does this year now that he has a decent fastball to go with his sinker and curve.