Lankylefty's Mechanics Analysis

Well, I was in the chat room today and lankylefty asked me what I thought of his mechanics.

Well after some lengthy analysis of the “Thanksgiving” series of videos, here are my thoughts.

First view: He has pretty good, fluid mechanics. There is one major flaw that would isn’t very difficult to fix. His glove swings through and at release is around a foot to the right (glove side) of where it should be. This causes him to really fall off the mound to the left and, as you can see, causes his throws to be a little more wild than you would expect in a 75% effort throwing session.

Alright, lets get to the analysis.

First Issue: Like I was explaining before, there is a problem with balance and posture. Not only is your glove not stabilizing, but it’s also pulling you pretty far off the mound to the glove side. This is going to cause repeatability and consistency issues as you can see just by watching three different videos of the same day. (I’m guessing you made the front view video last because your body language is telling me that you are fatigued.) An unstable glove will also cause you to miss high or low with a different timing and release point.

The Fix: So, we need to get your glove in better position. Where I like to see it is over the landing foot, somewhere in front of the torso. (From shoulders to belly button.) This you can do pretty easily on your own. Every time you throw make sure your glove stabilizes in a comfortable spot, in the area I just described, and hold it there. It’s going to take a lot of repetition to get it down. It may feel awkward for a while as well. To be honest, if you fix the glove issue, I think everything else will fix itself. Head tilted to glove side at release, falling off the mound a good deal, arm dragging behind. It’s a glove issue.

Second Issue: I think you could use a little more momentum. You do a decent job of leading with the front hip, but I think you could move a little bit faster. This will also help the falling off the mound problem. It also helps with velocity, which is just a tiny bit important. 8)

The Fix: So you’re probably asking yourself, how should I make myself go faster? Well, think of it like this; while you are lifting your leg, simultaneously move your body forward leading with your front hip/butt. You can adjust it to what you feel comfortable with. For a model, the average major leaguer gets into foot strike in under one second. (0.95 sec.) So from the time the leg starts to lift, to the time your stride foot lands should be under one second.

Summary: Overall, you’re pretty solid. You have very fluid mechanics with the potential of being very repeatable. I’m pretty sure if you stabilize the glove it will solve the other problems. Momentum fill be fixed easily enough. Once you think you’ve got the hang of it, put up another video to see if that was the major problem.

Hope this helps!

• Jake

P.S. I’d like to see what everybody else as to say as I’m sure lankylefty would, too. So please make your comments as well!

to me it looked like he opened just a split second early

From what I can see you really need to firm up your front side. As NPA said, your glove is a big issue. What I like to think I’m doing with my glove is grabbing an imaginary pole coming up from my front foot and pulling into my chest keeping it thumbs down. By squeezing your glove and keeping it thumbs down it makes it very difficult to pull your glove off to the side.

Another aspect of your front side is your front foot. Your stride direction and length seem pretty good, but as you’re throwing, your front foot spins to your right making your front leg unstable giving you nothing to throw against. I think you should watch Mark Buhrle (spelling?) He does a great job of firming up his front side and rotating inside his front leg.

guys thank you so much for all your advice! I tried the technique with my front glove, and I saw INSTANT improvement! I was throwing heat! Furthermore, I had no soreness after hard long toss for 20 min then a 40 or 50 pitch weighted ball bullpen. I continued to throw the heat today, and my arm feels great!

I think all of the comments here are right on track. But I’ll argue that the lack of tempo and momentum is the bigger source of all of the issues. By increasing tempo and getting going sooner/faster you’ll improve your timing making it easier to stabilize the glove out front at the right time (you won’t have to hold it there as long). Also, you’ll take away the time you have to mess up - like open up early. And that will help keep you from falling off to the side and will help keep your front foot from spinning out.

all right, I will work on getting more momentum as well

probably pretty understated but it looks like you’re right leg isnt flexible enough to follow through properly. You’re momentum wants to come foreward but you’re leg can only extend so much, so you fall off to the side and lose you’re balence. If you could stretch your leg out enough to follow through with a straight leg it would be a huge improvement.

I dont mean land with a straight leg, but be able to straighten it enough during the follow through to not fall off to the side.

E.G:
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5533
those arnt perfect but watch how he follows through.
If you can touch your head to you’re knee with one leg straight you should be good enough. Stretching is underrated here… my coach preaches it like the gospel.

I’m definitely flexible enough, it must just be a problem with my mechanics. You are saying I don’t firm up my stride leg upon landing?

it has less to do with firming up your stride leg and more to do with being able to fall forward on a straightened leg. maybe your problem is that your leg is too firm and not able to take the follow through. How flexible are we talking? I couldn’t do it until I could kiss my knee… which took a few months of everyday burn.

well standing straight, two legs I can touch my knuckles to the floor and kiss my knees. Sitting, two legs extended I can fully grab my heels (and kiss my knees), and one leg extended I can not only kiss my knee but interlace my fingers behind my outstretched foot. Again, flexibility and/or conditioning is not the issue, its definitely mechanical. You are saying I don’t bend over enough on my follow through? My plant leg should be straight?

the hamstrings aren’t the only muscles in the body

[quote=“throwinched”]From what I can see you really need to firm up your front side. As NPA said, your glove is a big issue. What I like to think I’m doing with my glove is grabbing an imaginary pole coming up from my front foot and pulling into my chest keeping it thumbs down. By squeezing your glove and keeping it thumbs down it makes it very difficult to pull your glove off to the side.

Another aspect of your front side is your front foot. Your stride direction and length seem pretty good, but as you’re throwing, your front foot spins to your right making your front leg unstable giving you nothing to throw against. I think you should watch Mark Buhrle (spelling?) He does a great job of firming up his front side and rotating inside his front leg.

[/quote]

Throwinched, I’m not quite sure what you are talking about when you describe your front glove action. Do you have a video, or can you describe it in more detail? Thanks

ok I just wanted to hear what NPA pitcher thought of my experimental momentum mechanics. I get into foot plant in around .95 to 1.00 seconds.