Landing/Stride leg

My son lands closed with his landing/stride leg and because of this he is crossing against his body, losing power and having control issues at times. How can I get him to land more linear. I am also wondering if separating two late could be a reason. It is a 6-8 inch adjustment that is becoming difficult to achieve. TIA

Make sure when he is descending out of his knee lift that the ‘knee-cap’ of his LIFT leg crosses against his MOUND-side knee as he begins to go into his stride… This keeps the lift knee from flying out away from his body as he goes into his stride.

thanks

I guess he going into stride a little early

Draw a line from his back foot to home plate. It looks like his front foot is landing way to the 3rd base side of the line.

I see a very slow, lazy motion. He needs to speed everything up.

I’ve tried a line in the past and finally settled on using a couple of 2x4’s placed about 8 inches apart and aimed at HP.

Thanks,
Do you think is going into stride to early?

Thanks,
Still not sure if he is going into stride to early? and separated at the right time?

I spent all of last season doing this. It’s pretty much what other people said – he’s lacking the power in his delivery.

Landing closed is due to two things;

1. poor power production coming from the back leg (What others hit on )
  2. poor mechanics. Make sure he is not aggressive with the front leg. When the lift leg is aggressive, it opens early forcing him to land early.

Go with the 2 x 4 idea. You could make a rectangle 8 inches apart. Show him the video. Then search YouTube of successful mlb pitchers I bet their foot is landing in line with target.

First better video . Side shot. His shoulder starts pointed at third. Then his foot lands towards third. Shoulders start in line with target foot strike in line with target. Looks like he starts twisted closed towards third.

Not sure how I would use the 2x4 rectangle. Is the idea for him to go into his stride and have his plate foot land in the box?

Here’s your problem in a nut shell:

Take a look at the place on the mound where your stride foot is placed. There’s a hole dug in that location that has your entire pivot foot pointing down - towards third base.
This location and the condition of that mound is not something that your body’s sense of observation is going to ignore.
Notice how upright your body stays throughout your entire deliver posture. This upright posture is not a deliberate form of deliver on your part … it’s your own body’s mechanism of protecting itself from negotiating an unsecure surface it’s standing on.
Since your pivot foot is pointing down into a hole, it naturally follows that your entire weight is “FALLING” towards third base… hence your stride leg is shortened to compensate for this unsteady feeling, your stride foot is planted in said following… and your finish is a Peter-Pan move, spinning off to your left.

Do this just to see what I mean… go to a flat surface and dig a hole that your pivot foot will step in, making that hole slanted downward so your toes are pointed downward and your heel is higher. Now play a simple game of catch with someone and notice where your stride leg lands. Watch how no matter how hard you try to stretch out that stride leg and land with your stride foot point towards your target… it ain’t gonna happen.

So, flatten that place in front of the pitcher’s rubber and at least start off with a decent surface to train on, BEFORE making any other adjustments.

Thank you so much Coach Baker. I an going to tape him from the side on a good mound and post it tonight.

Before you tape him, ask him to take it easy and concentrate on maintaining control on the surface that he’s working off of. I would suggest getting him to answer you while he’s going through a dry run without actually releasing a ball … " how balanced do you feel son throughout the entire progress?" "How confident do you feel keeping and maintaining some sort of control - before/during/after his motions. Remember, your boy is trying to feel confident in maintaining a reasonable sense of motion forward, with his delivery being the end product of both accuracy 60 feet down range, and no stiffness in the neck, lumbar, or stress on the shoulders and pitching arm. Without bringing this to his attention, actually notice where his stride foot is being planted - is he no longer throwing across himself with his arm motion during these dry runs? After he’s gotten into the swing of things and actually notices the before and after impact of his pivot foot’s control, ask him to take it one step further and try collapsing on the instep of this pivot foot during his actual throwing off the mound. In other words, KEEP HIS HEEL DOWN, and let his forward motion draw his pivot foot OFF THE front of the rubber, stretching his pivot leg out and back to give the entire forward motion of his body balance. He should finish with his head looking directly into his backstop… or as we call it… "staying with the pitch and not bailing out… or in your son’s case… Peter Panning off to one side.

We are for sure going to work on these things. The best think is he just turned 13 (7th grade) and is starting understanding how the mechanics work. Just waiting for him to full out. He is starting to get on top of the ball when he throws the curve. I’m hoping the fastball velocity will come with better mechanics, gaining weight and physically getting stronger. 2 seam is 68-71 and the 4 seam is 70-73. Here are the videos from today we were out when your response came in.

I thought he looked great in those video. Nice work keep it up. If your on here , thinking about it , working hard. Your on the right track.

I tried to respond to your email didn’t work. Here’s how interpreted the board thing.

First I heard of this also in pitching. I’ve seen it with hitting. I think what they do is take 2 like 8 ft 2x4 vertical running towards home 8 inches apart could even be 10". Straddling his feet. Stride foot should land inside on plant. If left or right you land on wood or over it. I was thinking you could screw 2 end pieces to stablize it. After you establish how far apart you like them

Not sure why the email did not work. Thanks we will continue to work hard and post on this tread. I liked what I saw in the videos. From the back view I think he is separating to early if he waits until his stride foot gets closer to foot strike he will be in leading with hips more, out in front more, more explosive and lined up with the target at finish. But am no expert.

In your video of the back view, notice how your son’s glove’s positon as he stops his glove’s motion at 0:03 in the video. Your son’s upper body is being balanced by his glove arm and his glove hand stopping at a point far out to his right - thus that where’s his stride foot is planting and as a consequence, he’s forced to throw across himself.

Separate the hands so his glove arm and glove point straight towards you more before he starts his motion towards you.
Now the timing of separation is something that he’ll have to work out, so he finds a grove that suits him best.
And you’re absolutely right about your son “filling out more.”

There’s also something that I noticed in the first side view and back view videos - he’s not catching the ball at times. I’ve noticed this with adult pitchers who are either not “into” the program, or thinking about something else at the time, or just not in the mood during a session. This stuff happens.

Frustration can set in when the learning curve gets very steep, the expectations of your expectations sometimes conflicts with your son’s, and other factors to numerous to mention.

So, there’s a time to train and practice and then there’s a time to relax and go at it some other time. I’ve let the pitcher tell me when he’s ready to suit up. When enough time passes that tells me - he done with this, so be it, he’s done - gone.

On the other hand, your son is just a teenager and this is a difficult time for some young men.

Thank you Coach for taking the time to respond, Your advice is appreciated.