Landing on your heel good or bad?

during the winter i was landing on my heal alot and my coach told me i need to land on the ball of my foot is there a diffrence or prefence and why??

Many coaches preach landing on the ball of the foot. Reasons include (1) being on the heal is not a position of good balance and (2) there’s often a hole where your stride foot plants and landing on your heal can increase the chances of your stride foot slipping.

I feel it is next to impossible to land on the ball of your foot if you are taking a nice long stride and I use to teach landing flat-footed. But now I no longer worry about it at all. If you’re getting your hips going and building up momentum to get into foot strike quickly, then even if you land on your heal it will only be a millisecond or two before the ball of your foot hits the ground and your weight is shifted onto it.

I say landing on the heal is normally a non-issue. If, for some reason, it is an issue, I think the fix is in building up more momentum - not worrying about what the foot is doing.

Roger. Good post!!

Sometimes if you land or your heel and your glove-side leg is stiff you can get a jarring effect that can effect your control.

But in that case the problem is with the stiff leg - not the landing on the heel.

COULD BE STRIDE IS TOO LONG. OVERSTRIDING WILL SOMETIMES LOCK THE LEG BEFORE THE UPPER BODY IS OVER THE STRIDE LEG, CAUSING THE PITCHER TO STOP FORWARD MOMENTUM AND START TO SPIN OUT TO THE SIDE. THE LOWER BODY PUSHING BACK AGAINST THE UPPERBODY WIL CREATE A LACK OF VELOCITY AND CONTROL AS WELL AS PLACE EXTRA STRAIN ON THE ARM. WORK ON AT LEAST LANDING FLAT FOOTED vs HEEL FIRST.

great info. It completely describes me in the way I have pitched. It has plagued me in the past and I would love to correct this. Got to work hard and do a lot of repitition for muscle memory.

How you make the correction depends on why you are landing on your heel. If you are truly striding too far, then you should shorten your stride (possibly by decreasing the height of your knee lift). But if you are a “keep the weight back” or “stop at the top” kind of pitcher, then you really need to get the hips going sooner and faster and maintain your current stride length.