Lactic Acid Is Good For You!

Very interesting article in the New York Times that explains that Lactic Acid is actually good for you…

It’s the primary source of energy for muscles.

P.S. I fixed the link.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Very interesting article in the New York Times that explains that Lactic Acid is actually good for you…

ahttp://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html

It’s the primary source of energy for muscles.[/quote]

Sorry, but the link is not working…

All you have to do is delete the a in front of http:// and it will work :wink:
Nice find Chris, it changes things a lot. So if this is true, if a pitcher was to run sprints in spurts before a game, he would get much better results compared to not doing much of anything at all. This is something i will be trying before practice and such. I think that this would also mean that pitchers and hitters should do a lot of running before games and do drills to get lactic acid built up. Great find…cant wait to see some of the other replies.

This is an interesting article but it really has nothing to do with baseball. There are three energy systems. The energy system that baseball uses has nothing to do with lactic acid. You have to go full intensity for at least 20 seconds to use this energy system and baseball “plays” don’t last nearly this long.

The aerobic system is for long duration of low intensity. This is never used in baseball

The middle system is the system that forms lactic acid. This system goes from about 20 seconds to a couple minutes.

The third system is the ATP-PC system. This is the system used for full intensity but under 20 consecutive seconds. This is what baseball is all about.

Based on what I’ve just said, you can see why I don’t like pitchers running long distance to get the lactic acid out of their arms. There is no lactic acid in the arm because your arm never throws for 20 consective seconds. The running may help other things but it has nothing to do with lactic acid.

This article is interesting but don’t let it affect your baseball routine.

Is the resulting muscle soreness in and arm/shoulder due to microscopic muscle tears then?

Yes, generally you will accumulate microscopic muscle tears in the shoulder during the game, and the soreness is due to repairing tissue. The tears are caused because the arm is held in by tissue, and then the overhand motion is completely unatural.

Definatley agree with what Mike had to say, I would guess the whole lactic acid concept would have probably been brought up by basic family doctors, because the concept is logical (without proper analysis).

also it’s not so much that the lactic acid is what makes you sore, what happens is:
-Lactic acid builds up
-It then changes the pH of the blood making it more acidic
-This means that the enymes wont function at their “optimum pH”, either slowing down the enzyme rate or destroying the enzyme
-This is what makes you sore it is the change in pH of your blood

Im sure Mr.Griffin will back me up on this one!