Knuckleball

How do u throw it? What grip do u use? I want to see if i should add it 2 my arsenal

the worst pitch in the game to throw if you want to go somewhere at the next level like MLB. BEcasue there are only like 3 mlb pitchers that throw it and alot of Gm’s wouldn’t look at a person that throws the kuckleball.

But if your not looking at the big time, the knuckleball is a very fun pitch. I throw one cos i dont plan on going anywhere and its a good offspeed pitch. The grip i use is fastball grip with finger tips digging into the ball.

google knuckleball HQ itll show you more grips

I throw the knuckleball because, well I’m good at it and have practiced it for a long time.
Just find a grip that works for you, you can go 2 fingered, 3 fingered (like me), in the seams, or on the leather.

If you really want to add a knuckleball then go to www.knuckleballhq.com and click on the message board link. Maybe buy the knucklebook.

There are people that throw it by using like and extreme splitter grip and how they release it they get no spin on the ball and knuckler action. I think Conseco(sp?) or Contreas(sp?) ended up with this happening a lot.

I start with a two seam grip, then put my thumb under the ball firmly. Then move my inder middle ring fingers and my pinky as far up on the ball as I can. Then I put my knuckles on the ball like I’m making a fist. When I release the pitch I push it off my knuckles and dont snap the rist just float it forward. If you try to throw it fast it will end up having spin so just forget about velocity and think about stopping any spin. Make sure that you take all of your fingers off of the ball at the same moment.

I start with a two seam grip, then put my thumb under the ball firmly. Then move my index middle ring fingers and my pinky as far up on the ball as I can. Then I put my knuckles on the ball like I’m making a fist. When I release the pitch I push it off my knuckles and dont snap the rist just float it forward. If you try to throw it fast it will end up having spin so just forget about velocity and think about stopping any spin. Make sure that you take all of your fingers off of the ball at the same moment.

That’s very similar to the way I started throwing a knuckleball. For some reason I decided to change my grip and my consistency got even worse. Right now I’m switching back to my original grip and tweaking it.

Remember, it is all about release point and your wrist action at release. A little spin will add movement, too much spin will totally kill any chance of movement, unless it will be a little dip at the end. Also if you release the ball too early you will have top spin, if you release it late it will have back spin.

Remember that starting with slow ones is good for practice, but you have to change speeds and have a fast one (not like a heater or anything). Remember 1 rotation won’t ruin it but, 3 might.

Fact: Slow knuckleballs have more dramatic movement but, less side to side, more drop. Fast knuckleballs don’t drop as much but, almost vibrate when close to 72 MPH.

however a knuckler below 50 mph will have close to no movement

[quote=“Pustulio”]Remember that starting with slow ones is good for practice, but you have to change speeds and have a fast one (not like a heater or anything). Remember 1 rotation won’t ruin it but, 3 might.

Fact: Slow knuckleballs have more dramatic movement but, less side to side, more drop. Fast knuckleballs don’t drop as much but, almost vibrate when close to 72 MPH.[/quote]

I’ve read that the knuckleball thrown at 72 mph has the best movement, and is the best speed to throw it at, with drop. It does that because of the low spin rate, it slows down much faster than a normally thrown ball and does not have a magnus effect to it and then slows down enough to drop off the table as it reaches the plate.

Correct, don’t throw that slowly.

Yes 72 has the best side to side movement, it doesn’t drop as much but, still does so. You have to mix speeds on knucklers so that they don’t get the timing and have a good shot at killing it.

Knucklebook is a good book.

^ Amen to that!

right, right, it’s like saying the splitter is better than throwing a knucleball. no it’s saying a screwball is better than a knuckler. guy, if u can throw it, throw it

^ Thank you for that statement.