Knuckleball not quite knuckling

Hello I’m a first time poster. I throw a knuckleball and can throw it with no spin but it doesn’t seem to dance. It does it sometimes but not often. I can’t really throw a fastball except for a strike. So I was wondering if maybe im missing something? I use a three finger grip. Two in the horseshoe pretty much on the seams and my ring finger right outside the seams with pinky on side thumb under. I use a 3/4 angle.

Welcome to the boards.

The people you want to talk to about the KBall are Pustuilo and Zita Carno, send them both a PM and you’ll get some tips and tricks.

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.

Try adding a little spin to the ball or more velocity(which may add some spin)

I throw a pretty good knuckle ball(never in a game). Although everytime I throw it my teammates ask if I do. I always say, if we’re up by enough haha.

Sounds like you use the same grip as I do.

My dad always told me, stiff wrist, push with the fingers.

Good luck and welcome to the boards!

Welcome!

Also, not eveyone looks in this forum so you’ll get better response by posting questions in the other forums.

Welcome, try adding your post to advice section!!!

One thing you have to consider is the weather—temperature, humidity, wind conditions. A knuckleball, no matter how you throw it, requires wind resistance. On a hot, dry day with little or no wind, that darn pitch isn’t going to knuckle or do anything else if you stand on your head. On the other hand, when you have a wind blowing out from home plate and it isn’t hot, you’ll have the wind resistance you need, and the pitch will do pretty much what you want it to.
One thing you have to watch out for is the batter—there’s a chance he may be looking for it. Back in the late forties the Cleveland Indians had a pitcher named Gene Bearden, who had a really devastating pitch that would dance on its way to the plate. He helped the Indians win the World Series that year. But in 1949, a couple of hitters figured it out—the way to beat him was to swing at the pitch before it started to rumba or whatever dance it would do. The rest of the league picked it up, and the word got around—when Bearden would throw that knuckler, go after it before it started to dance! Time and again they drove him from the mound, and he was no longer effective. That pitch had turned into a home run ball.
And here’s something else you can do if, on whatever occasion, the knuckleball won’t knuckle. Try a knuckle-curve—simply put, you use a knuckleball grip and throw a curve with it. This pitch can be even more devastating, inasmuch as it will drop like a stone (or a glass that slips out of your hand and crashes to the floor). Another pitch that I used a lot, much to the consternation of the hitters, was a variety of “slip pitch”—a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip. I learned that one from Eddie Lopat, who drove batters positively NUTS with it.
Also—watch the Mets’ R.A. Dickey. He throws a “hard” knuckler, close to 90 miles an hour, and he throws it just like a fast ball. Good pitch. 8)

Try moving your fingers below the horseshoe on the seams so you are on the ball not the seams. I pitched in college and basically made myself into a knuckleball pitcher just experimenting. Try throwing it at different speeds and arm angles. When throwing it, try to keep your shoulders level so you are throwing it downhill. I had a problem of tilting my shoulders back during my delivery and it made it tough to get it to dance. Throwing it downhill creates that drop you see in dickey’s knuckleball.