Knuckle-Curve

How do you grip and throw a knuckle-curve i was looking for this and really havent found anything any post about the pitch would be of great help…Thankzzz In Advance

well the true knuckle curve-ball no one throws it anymore but the spike curve-ball is prob what you refering to.

IMO the tighter the grip on the ball the more the injury risk goes up.

A reg curve-ball with loose grip works just as well.

below is a spike curve-ball grip

thanks man anyelse have any advice appreciate it… :smiley:

does the spike have a wrist twitch

It can, but it’s not necessary. I throw a wicked knucklecurve, although my grip is a little dif than the picture (technically it is a spike curve but that name isnt cool enough:P) I find that a little wrist twitch makes the ball break sharper in the end, but not overly necessary, because you can still throw it big and loopy without the twitch.

When I was experimenting with different pitches, I realized that I couldn’t do anything with a regular knuckleball—too much sharp wrist action. (I think Mike Mussina picked his up the same way I did mine.) So I decided to use a knuckleball grip and throw a curve. You’re right, by the way; it is not necessary to grip the ball tightly. Nice pitch. 8)

any ways on how to actually throw it

It’s the grip that makes the difference. You throw the pitch the same way you would an ordinary curve ball. :slight_smile:

not a knucle curve??? Because i wanna know how to throw a knucle curve or explain a knuckleball to me…pictures anything all the help i can get thank you every1 plz respond

put your mid finger on a horshoe seamall the way out and you index will be curled like a knuckle next to it.

Here is what Wiki says and I will add comments:

#1 Steve covers this one in his how to throw pitches on this board-this is Mussina’s spike curve.

#2 Hooten’s actually spun a lot becuase he had very long strong fingers and he got over spin by spinning this against his thumb.

#3 This is actually a dry spitter in principle. Instead of using a substance for the ball to slip out with no spin, Stenhouse used finger arrangement to accomplish the same effect. I think he called “the Thang”

Ian

ok

[quote=“TimL55”]well the true knuckle curve-ball no one throws it anymore but the spike curve-ball is prob what you refering to.

IMO the tighter the grip on the ball the more the injury risk goes up.

A reg curve-ball with loose grip works just as well.

below is a spike curve-ball grip

[/quote]
Actually i throw the Knuckle Curve its wrong to say “No one throws it” cuz i do and its possibly my favorite breaking ball pitch and i can throw it really good wit no twisting of my arm.

he was probably talking about the bigs but anyway not a lot of people can get the ball to bite enough to really make it a useful weapon. i learned to throw curveballs like that but gave up on it when i got older and started to loose it. once my catcher told me it looked like it was breaking in 2 different direction.

I have heard that Jason Isringhuasen throws it, but I am not sure how.

A guy in the Yankees organization Andrew Bachman throws it the old Hooten way. Hooten’s broke plenty sharp!