KidMullen's Workout

Pitching Lesson from the bullpen mound

Threw for between 35 & 45 minutes.

Really worked on curve ball and trying to get the motion the same between it & my fastball. I do not open up when I throw my fastball - but when I throw my curveball I (sometimes) open up. This results in a flatter break. Worked on this for 1/2 of the lesson - understand some drills that I need to work on to get my curve ball breaking 12 - 6. Also worked on changeup - will need to work on this pitch some during the week.

Next workout is scheduled for 10/2/07 - which is long-toss. Goal is to throw 4 times this week. Objectives - Curve ball & Change-up grips.

General Throwing

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

4 Minutes moving from 45’ to 90 feet
3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute at 130 feet - maximum distance was about 160 feet for three throws -

Arm felt good

Release point work

2 Pitches from phase 4 - 2-seam fastball
2 Pitches from phase 4 - Change up
2 Pitches from phase 4 - curve ball
2 pitches from phase 4 - 4-seam fastball

Trisets

3x15 flat ground pushups
3x10 lunges holding 25lbs in each hand
3x25 rotations with 8 lb medicine ball

3x15 incline pushups
3x30 wood chops with 8 lb medicine ball

3x15 decline pushups
3x25 crunches on stability ball

Ran 2 mile for time in gym class: time = 13:15

35 minutes of flat ground throwing

Worked on curve ball - more consistent than before.

Tried to hit spots inside & outside with fastball (2 & 4 seam). Worked on being consistent with land foot location - seemed to help being able to hit the location I was aiming for. Stayed closed & did not fly open on many pitches & did not pull arm across my body.

A good outing. Arm was tired but not sore

Out hiking with family - 7 mile hike in some areas with very steep terrain

Had a pitching lesson. Continued to work on locating 2- & 4-seam fastballs. I was able to do this. Curve ball was ok. Change-up was good. Goals for the week are to get curve ball motion the same as fastball motion. Become more consistent with it. - Right now the problem is that I am flying open and trying to do get the ball to curve with my body & arm motion as opposed to just throwing the ball.

Worked on curve ball motion.

did fence drill to try to break the habit of flying open on curve ball. This seemed to help. After I did the drill I was more consistent with my curve ball.

I also did some other drills that I learned in yesterday’s lesson. I will probably add one more day of this type of workout - the goal is not to overthrow my arm but to focus on improving the mechanics of my curve ball.

General Warmup - dynamic

3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute at > 130 feet

Final Throw was 170 feet. Arm strength seems to be improving - when I started Long Toss program in early August - could not consistently throw the ball 120 feet & hit the target. Do that pretty easily know. My pitching coach says fastball velocity has improved - this might be the result of the long-toss program. I will ask instructor if I should increase the distances or times in the workout.

Release point work

2 pitches from phase 4 - 4 seam fastball

Tempo was quick

Noticed during release point work that curve-ball had good bite - must be related to increased arm speed.

After long-toss - did 10 sprints up to 80 yds in length.

Dynamic Warmup

8 Pitches - Phase 4 (2 each of 2-seam, 4-seam, change-up, curve) 48 feet

4 - Pitches L-toss with step - Curve ball only - trying to work more over the top less rotation around body

8 Pitches - Phase 3 (2 each of 2-seam, 4-seam, change-up, curve) 52 feet

Fence Drill - 5 Curve balls

8 Pitches Phase 2 (2 each of 2-seam, 4-seam, change-up, curve) 54 Feet

20 Pitches - Mixing up 2-seam fastball, 4 seam fastball, changeup and curveball. Worked location inside and outside corners with fastballs. Tried to keep changeup down in middle portion of plate. Curve ball was better today - more 12-6 break

Fence Drill 5 Curve balls

20 Pitches - Same as above

Fence Drill 5 Curve Balls

Pitched to 3 fake batters - tried to hit spots count was 2-3 (1 out), 1-3 (2-out), and 2-3 (3rd Out). Most pitches were good except for the third strike to the third batter which would have probably been a hit since I left it higher in the strike zone than I wanted.

Conditioning

10 X 120 yard sprints with 15 pushups between each Sprint (could only do 10 pushups for each repitition after the fifth sprint) for a total of 125 pushups. Goal was not to rest between any exercise

Been out of town for the weekend - church retreat so haven’t been able to workout since last thursday. 10/15/07 had some school projects to do & my throwing partner wasn’t available so just did a modified workout consisting of pushups, squats, med ball work, etc. Did these as trisets - did incline, decline, and flat pushups.

No Long-toss today -

But did run (not jog) 2.8 miles

3x10 pushups
3x25 situps
3x15 lunges

Have church tonight and school project tomorrow evening - so workouts this week have been & will be abbreviated. Hopefully Saturday will do some flat ground throwing and have a practice bull pen on Sunday - The “rest” will be beneficial & help me in the long run.

2-pitches of each 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up, & curve ball - phase 4 - 45 feet

2-pitches of each 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up, & curve ball - phase 3 - 52 feet

2-pitches of each 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up, & curve ball - phase 2 - 54 feet

2-pitches of each 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up, & curve ball - phase 1 - 60 feet

3 “innings” of sixteen pitches each inning - trying to hit locations with fastballs & change up & trying to continue working on mechanics of curve ball. - 4 pitches each of 2-seam fastball - (outside to RHB), 4 seam fastball (inside to RHB), change (down & middle of plate), and curve ball (ending up near catchers right ankle.

Worked on grip for change up trying to take some velocity off the pitch. Seemed to work

Did some fence drills to continue to improve curve ball mechanics - overall curveball was much better than it has been in the past. Improvement.

Sister had soccer game this afternoon away from town so I took a football with me and threw football while I watcher her play.

General Warmup - dynamic

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute - moving from 120 to feet to final throw of 200 feet

Release point work

Tempo was quick -

Continued improvement - very happy with results. Ball seems to have pop on it out to 120’.

Raining today so…

Core/Chest/Legs

Performed as Trisets (1 set of chest exercise followed by 1 set of core exercise followed by 1 set of leg exercise) - did 3 repetitions of each triset/biset

3 X Triset 1

20 Flatground pushups
25 - 8lb medicine ball rotations - in a half squat stance - high tempo
10 lunges holding 25 lb weight

3 X Triset 2

15 Incline pushups
20 wood chopping with 8 lb medicine ball
20 air squat explosions

3 X Triset 3

10 Decline pushups
25 Crunches on Stability ball
10 one legged squats

3 X Triset 4

10 deadlifts - holding 35 lb weight
25 V-crunches
25 shoulder tubing exercises - inward

Rain all day yesterday and today. Was supposed to throw but couldn’t find a place to throw. So instead of throwing did a quick - but hard work out -

did 8 intervals of 20 second each with 10 second rest in between -

8 intervals of (20 seconds each) pushups w/ 10 second rest between each interval - did about 125 pushups - went to failure

8 intervals of sit-ups (20/10) again - about 160 sit-ups on a stability ball

8 intervals of sissy squats - (20/10) - about 160 reps

Ran 1.0 mile as fast as I could -

Showered and went to church.

General Warmup - dynamic

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute - moving from 120 to feet to final throw of 180 feet

Release point work

Tempo was quick -

Continued improvement - very happy with results. Ball seems to have pop on it out to 120’.

Hopefully today I’ll be able to flat ground throw.

Busy weekend -

Squeezed a long-toss session in -

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute - moving from 120 to feet to final throw of 200 feet

Release point work

Tempo was quick -

Continued improvement - very happy with results. Ball seems to have pop on it out to 120’. Maximum throw was about 180 feet on a line

General warmup

8 pitches phase 4 - 2 each of 2-seam fb, 4 seam fb, curve ball, and change up. - 50 feet

8 pitches phase 3 - 2 each of 2-seam fb, 4 seam fb, curve ball, and change up. - 52 feet

8 pitches phase 2 - 2 each of 2-seam fb, 4 seam fb, curve ball, and change up. - 56 feet

8 pitches phase 1 - 2 each of 2-seam fb, 4 seam fb, curve ball, and change up. - 58 feet

4 - 16 pitch innings - trying to hit spots with fb and change-up. Continue to work on curve ball.

1st & 2nd innings weren’t that good - release point was off -
3rd & 4th innings were very good - hit within one glove of spot. Used my legs more - ball had good movement - change up was breaking down - even curve ball had a 12-6 break

Pitched one inning game situation. First batter 2-3 (1 out), 2nd Batter 1-3 two out, 3rd batter 2-3 three out (14 pitches total) - missed some locations and left ball more out over middle of the plate then I wanted. Threw 2 curve balls both had 12-6 break.

Sister had soccer game today - so I took a ball & glove with me and threw with my fathter Threw a modified long toss working on grips for my change up and fb. Went out to about 90 feet on this threw probably 25 to 30 throws after warming up. Later - I threw with another guy - probably another 15 to 20 throws with maximum distance of about 200 feet. I did crow hop with this, but really tried to use my lower half more. The tempo of this effort was slower than regular long-toss effort.

Worked out today -

did my typical 4 phase 8 pitch mechanic warmup then pitched a simulated game for four innings. Really focused on hitting spots. First inning was fine - fast balls, change-ups and curve-ball all went fine. 2nd inning wasn’t so good - walked three batters. Adjusted in the third inning and started to use lower half more & worked w/ release point. The third & fourth innings went fine. I need to remember this so I can use this to make corrections in a game.

Good news I didn’t pull my arm across my body on any pitches and I felt comfortable throwing my curveball. I did throw one or two away but compared to where I was two weeks ago this is a big improvement. They had good 12-6 break and it appeared (according to my catcher) to be a late, sharp break not a looping curve ball.

I still need to work on driving through my target and extending with my arm so I get better extentsion away from my body.

In all I probably threw around 60-70 pitches with the majority coming in the second inning.