Release point work

2 Pitches from phase 4 - 2-seam fastball
2 Pitches from phase 4 - Change up
2 Pitches from phase 4 - curve ball
2 pitches from phase 4 - 4 seam fastball

Tempo was quick -

Objective -

1. Focused on staying closed - not letting front side fly-open
  2. and using lower half to generate some power.

After long toss did some short wind sprints and helped sister with soccer.

Core/Chest/Legs

Performed as Trisets (1 set of chest exercise followed by 1 set of core exercise followed by 1 set of leg exercise) - did 3 repetitions of each triset/biset

3 X Triset 1

20 Flatground pushups
25 - 8lb medicine ball rotations - in a half squat stance - high tempo
10 lunges holding 25 lb weight

3 X Triset 2

15 Incline pushups
20 wood chopping with 8 lb medicine ball
20 air squat explosions

3 X Triset 3

10 Decline pushups
25 Crunches on Stability ball
10 one legged squats

3 X Triset 4

10 deadlifts - holding 35 lb weight
25 V-crunches
25 shoulder tubing exercises - inward

3 X Biset 1

25 lateral/oblique “tilts” holding 25 lb weight
25 shoulder tubing exercises -

Ran 1.8 miles - 2 times around my block

Total workout time ~55 minutes

Opportunity to play golf - rarely comes along but it did today. So walked 9 holes carrying my father’s golf bag - Roughly 3500 yards???. Shot a 50 from the white tees. After this went to sister’s soccer practice & did long toss.

General Dynamic Warmup

L-Toss without rotation
L-Toss with rotation

Long Toss Routine

4-Minutes moving back from 45 feet to 90 feet
3-Minutes throwing at 90 feet
2 Minutes throwing at 120 feet
1 Minute throwing at ~130 feet

Release point work - Phase 4

2 - 2 seam fastballs
2 - curveballs
2 - changeups
2 - 4 seam fastballs

Continued to work on staying closed & using legs to derive power, worried that long toss might make throwing motion longer.

Uptempo effort - worked up a good sweat. Arm sore when done - muscle fatique - doesn’t hurt like an arm injury would. - Break it down to build it up.

Substituted long toss into program today (it is usually a Saturday workout) because next scheduled workout is Saturday and planned throwing from mound on Sunday - did not want to throw from the mound on the day immediately following a long toss effort. Saturday will be flatground throwing - a short bullpen with focus on hitting spots with 3 pitches and working on curveball.

Threw from the mound - Pitching lesson

Worked on 2 & 4 seam fastball, curveball, and changeup.

Phase 4 through Phase 1.

Fastballs had good movement.

4 seam had movement, 2 seam broke down.

Continued to work on staying closed and driving straight towards the target.

Plans for the week work on getting arm over glove during curveball, making the 12-6 break more consistent and other pitches will also be more consistent.

Went to sister’s soccer game - threw football during the game - did not want to throw baseball since I worked so hard from the mound yesterday during my lesson. After I got home ran and did wall ball drills

5x100 yard sprints and did
5x15 wall ball toss using an 8 lb medicine ball - throwing the ball 10 ft up and against the wall - starting from a full squat position. After each toss set ran the 100 yard sprint.

I could feel it in my legs when I was done.

Dynamic warmup

General throwing

Perform:

L-Toss w/out rotation
L-Toss w rotation

Phase 4 to 45 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Phase 3 to 52 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Phase 2 to 55 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Phase 1 to 58 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Flat Ground Pitching from 60’6"

Throw two 17 pitch innings (34 total pitches) - usually throw 3 or 4 innings (either 51 or 68 pitches) in this workout but it started raining too hard to continue after second inning.

An inning consisted of

4 two seam fastballs - locating pitch inside to right handed batter
4 changeups - locating pitch down in the middle of the plate
4 curve balls - working on getting over the top of the glove as opposed to opening front shoulder too soon. Goal was to have more of a 12 to 6 break as opposed to a flatter break
5 - four seam fastballs located outside to a right handed batter

Should’ve also have run - but raining too hard to run outside

Observation:

Did better with curve ball - really concentrated on staying closed and trying to release my curve ball with the same motion as my fastball. Ball broke more in 12-6 direction. Some were short - but appeared to have the proper rotation - this I believe is better than having the wrong rotation. Will need to work on release point and continue to work on proper throwing mechanics. Ball was wet at times which made it slippery and difficult to grip.

Pulled some (not many 2 or 3) fastballs - throwing across my body. Really need to concentrate on coming towards the target with everything from my lead foot, knee, hip, elbow, and shoulder. Movement on 4 seam was good - long-toss appears to be paying off velocity & movement has increased (according too catcher).

Change up - some were good - broke down - some were not - thrown too high up in strike zone. Need to become more consistent with this pitch.

General Warmup - dynamic

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

4 Minutes moving from 45’ to 90 feet
3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute at 130 feet

Release point work

Tempo was quick - but jammed thumb on glove hand was painful whenever ball was thrown back to me.

Objective -

1. Focused on staying closed - not letting front side fly-open
  2. and using lower half to generate some power.

After long toss did 10 X 50 yard wind sprints

Before Long Toss did chest/core workout - Bisets - did not do legs because did not want to tire legs out before long toss

3x15 flat ground pushups
3x25 Rotations w/ 8 lb Medicine Ball

3x15 decline pushups
3x30 wood chopper with 8 lb Medicine Ball

3x15 Incline pushups
3x25 V-crunches

3x25 stability ball crunches

Ran 2 miles for time!

Time = 13:45

Dynamic warmup

General throwing

Perform:

L-Toss w/out rotation
L-Toss w rotation

Phase 4 to 45 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Phase 3 to 52 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Phase 2 to 55 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Phase 1 to 58 feet

3 - 2 seam fastballs
3 - Change ups
3 - Curve balls
3 - four seam fast balls

Flat Ground Pitching from 60’6"

Throw three 16 pitch innings (34 total pitches) and one 12 pitch inning - in this workout for a total of 60 pitches.

An inning consisted of

4 two seam fastballs - locating pitch inside to right handed batter
4 changeups - locating pitch down in the middle of the plate
4 curve balls - working on getting over the top of the glove as opposed to opening front shoulder too soon. Goal was to have more of a 12 to 6 break as opposed to a flatter break
4 - four seam fastballs located outside to a right handed batter

The twelve pitch inning consisted of

3 - 2 seam; 3-curveball; and 6-changeups

Threw from the mound. In general fast ball was good and live - with good movement. Was able to locate the fastball on the outside corner

I thought my fastball had more velocity and movement than it did last time I threw from the mound.
Continue to work on the arm slot and wrist placement on the curveball
Work on having the same arm slot on curveball and fastball
Need to have more of a change in velocity on changeup

Goals for the week
Mechanics between curveball and fastball become consistent with each other.
Continue long toss and flat ground pitching.

Ran 1 mile for time in gym class: time = 6:27

Trisets

3x15 flat ground pushups
3x10 lunges holding 25lbs in each hand
3x25 rotations with 8 lb medicine ball

3x15 incline pushups
3x30 wood chops with 8 lb medicine ball
3x10 one-legged squats w/each leg

3x15 decline pushups
3x25 crunches on stability ball
3x20 squats with explosion

3x25 v-setups
band work for shoulder

Also worked on trying to be consistent with early fastball/curveball motion. When I throw a curveball I tend to want to “cock” my wrist almost immediately after taking the ball out of my glove. I worked on trying not to choke the ball but instead keeping my wrist/hand in-line with the rest of my arm.

Did shuttle run in gym class

After dinner did Long-Toss Routine

General Warmup - dynamic

Dynamic Warmup

General Throwing

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute at 130 feet - maximum distance was about 165 feet for two throws -

Arm was tired but not sore

Release point work

Worked with sister on soccer for thirty minutes - required short sprints and shuttle work.

2 mile run for time = 12:44

100 situps

Flat Ground Throwing with emphasis on curve ball -

L-Toss w/out rotation
L-Toss w/ rotation

Four phases throwing each (curve, 2- seam, 4-seam, and change-up) pitch 3 times.

Worked on curve ball - since I was opening up too early on my curveball - placed a screen to my throwing arm about halfway between “mound” and plate. If I opened up too early my release point would be too far to the right and the ball would hit the screen. This forced me to stay closed. The first couple of attempts did hit the screen - but after I started to think about what I was doing the curve started to have more of a 12-6 break. I also threw some fastballs and change-ups. For the most part these pitches were pretty good. I didn’t keep count of the number of pitches I threw - but I worked constantly for about 30 minutes.

9/22/07 - Sister had a soccer tournament this weekend so I threw a modified long toss. It was difficult to find an area with enough room to do the complete long toss program. I worked out to about 100’ feet and worked back into about 60’. I also worked on all my pitching grips. I threw for about a half hour.

9/23/07 - Still at soccer tournament - threw football for about a half hour. - Will flat ground throw on Monday 9/24/07.

General Warmup

Phase 4 - 12 pitches (3 each of curveball, 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up) - 48 feet

Phase 3 - 12 pitches (3 each of curveball, 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up) - 52 feet

Phase 2 - 12 pitches (3 each of curveball, 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up) - 54 feet

Phase 1 - 12 pitches (3 each of curveball, 2-seam fastball, 4-seam fastball, change-up) - 54 feet

Pitching 3 innings of 12 pitch innings (60’6") - Worked on hitting inside and outside corners and keeping changeup low. Velocity was good on fastball. Curveball was good at times but not as consistent as I would like it. Continue to work on this.

Pitched one inning of game situation - pitched to 4 batters - threw 18 pitches.

Ran 10 x 100 yard sprints at the end.

After dinner did Long-Toss Routine

General Warmup - dynamic

Dynamic Warmup

General Throwing

L-Toss w/out Rotation
L-Toss w Rotation

3 Minutes at 90 feet
2 Minutes at 120 feet
1 Minute at 130 feet - maximum distance was about 155 feet for two throws -

Arm was tired and sore.

Release point work

Have been throwing this routine since 25 July will take a break from throwing for three or four days. Will try to schedule a lesson on Sunday.

Wednesday is a running/weight day.

Ran 2 miles - 12:45

Pushups 3x20

Worked on agility drills - 25 minutes

Workout shortened due to church

Arm was unusually tired after Tuesday’s throwing effort so I did not throw on either Today or Yesterday. Today’s workout was a high intensity workout - that involved -

Sprinting 120 yards and doing 15 pushups immediately after the sprint. I wanted to do this for 10 repetitions but had to reduce the number of pushups to 10 after the fourth rep. I completed this workout in 12:01 minutes - almost puking in the process - a tough workout. My arms were tired from the push-ups and my legs stiffened up after the sprints. I tried to minimize my rest period between each repetition - it was impossible to go from push-up to sprint back to pushup without a little rest (especially during the later repetitions). I know this doesn’t seem like a long duration workout - but I was gassed after it and probably couldn’t have done any more if I would have tried.

In total it was

10 x 120 yard sprints - running as hard as I could
4 x 15 pushups or 6 x 10 pushups - I think I did a total of 120 pushups - doing them as fast as I could.

Threw long-toss to 90’ then threw a short flat-ground bull pen. Was concerned that arm was tired so was being very careful didn’t want to get hurt.

Worked on curve ball. Alternated between curve ball & fast ball - objective was to have the same motion and arm speed with the two pitches - the only thing different mechanically would be the grip. Fastball had good movement - curve ball is getting better.