JV pitcher how hard?

How hard should a 16 year old Jv pitcher be throwing???

I would like to know so I could set a goal.

first off it kinda depends on the size of the school 5a, 4a, etc, the larger schools could have guys throwing any were from mid 70s to low 80s it just kinda depends, as a jv pitcher my sophmore year I was mid to upper 70s, alot of guys I saw were low 60s to mid 70s, generally the low 80s guys were from larger schools or a varsity pitcher just getting some work in. but anywhere from low to mid 70s is good, but that is just me. hope this helps

thank you so much I’m going to set a goal for 80 mph by next season. I have been told I’ve been throwing around 70 to 74 toppng. So 80 would be really good Right now I throw harder then most average pitchers.

Well I’m going into my softmore year but I’m already on Varsity, so I kind of fit into this thread lol. My freshman year, in the one game I did pitch on JV before getting called up I was throwing about 74-78 consistently, and I’m expecting my softmore year to sit around 80-84. A good goal for you RIstar, would be throwing around 75 with good command, because JV hitters are going to roll over and die if you can throw 75 low and away, and mix in good offspeed. Anything more than that is just extra, and you’ll need to be at atleast 80 if you want to be a fastball thrower at the varsity level, 80 with good control.

Mid to upper 70’s would be good. I know you heard this before and fstbllthrwr just said it, but command and offspeed pitches are key. If I remember correctly, you said you throw a splitter and a curve also. Mix 'em up!

Wow! That’s very good velocity! mid-70s mph is above average for a 16 yo pitcher. You want to be in the mid-80s as a high school senior to get serious looks by college coaches, upper-80s and above to get serious looks by pro scouts.

Steven if I throw high 70’s and top out at 80 at age 16 is that above average??

FSTBALL,
Interesting how things differ with area. Our JV team had 1 15yo freshman throwing 80-82, 2 15yo sophmores throwing 78-80 and the two best pitchers were 15yo sophmores who sat out the first half of the season with injuries. One threw 79-82 throwing with max effort and the other threw 78-81 without max effort and had good movement and command.

I expect a couple of them to stay on JV and be throwing 82-85+ on JV as juniors. Same coach kept a kid on JV as a junior who was throwing mid to high 80s. I asked someone who had been there and he said the coach just didn’t recognize the talent. He also would have displaced one of the coach’s favorites as a starter.

Wow! That’s very good velocity! mid-70s mph is above average for a 16 yo pitcher. You want to be in the mid-80s as a high school senior to get serious looks by college coaches, upper-80s and above to get serious looks by pro scouts.[/quote]

Yea, to be honest I’ve never played with or against anyone my age who has the same velocity as I do, I’ve always been consistently 3-5mph faster than the next guy. Right now I’m sitting at around 79-82 in fallball with the best armstrength I’ve ever had. I’m hoping to be throwing mid-high 80’s by maybe my Junior or Senior year, and I hope to get maybe a grant or partial scholarship. What were you throwing in highschool Steven?

How big are you?

I’m 5’9 and 142 is 70-73 or 74 ok for me size and age?

[quote=“RIstar”]How big are you?

I’m 5’9 and 142 is 70-73 or 74 ok for me size and age?[/quote]

5’11, about 155 I think, big lifter and very muscular.

If I’m barely 15, 6’0 and 200 lbs, and I throw 85 already as a sophomore, do you think I could hit 90 as a junior from using Jaeger bands and using a pitcher specific workout? Or maybe even 90 by the time the season starts? Because Ive never used the bands before and I usually just did bench press and deadlifts.