Just got gunned

Hey guys,

My pitching coached gunned me on thursday. It was all on flat ground, and he had me do step-behind throws, windup, and stretch.
I topped at 77 on step-behinds, 75 in the windup, and 72 in the stretch.

So, I have two questions. First, would i be able to produce a couple more mph from a mound? Also, I am a high school sophomore, and I was just wondering where I stand right now when it comes to velocity? I’ll be doing an intensive velocity program over the summer that my pitching coach runs and he thinks I can at least get it up to 81 ish in 4 months.

Thanks

isnt velocity supose to increase from flatground to mound? i got clocked at 90 on flatground but went to mound and mechanics kinda changed from the slope(hadent been goin off mound to much since acl surgery) did your coach say anything like that to you?

what are step behinds? jw
are they as simple as they sound?

[quote=“TravisBaseball17”]what are step behinds? jw
are they as simple as they sound?[/quote]

Step behinds are basically like a crow hop starting with a step from behind with your back leg.

Well he has me do most of my work from flat ground because it’s less stress on the arm and helps me keep better mechanics, which is what the focus is on right now.

I thought it was the other way around SP1B. Since you are throwing at a downward angle, you arm should mave less resistence when you pitch. shrug That was my thinking anyways. You should be able to throw much harder on a mound though because of the slope. What do you guys think?

Well thats not a bad way of thinking of it, but according to Tom House in his many books, working on the mound puts a lot more stress on the arm. I’ll go back through and try to find exactly what he says, I think there was a percentage…

Specifically speaking, throwing off of a mound allows gravity to help accelerate the arm resulting in the decelerators having to work harder to decelerate the arm. Throwing off of flat ground requires more effort from the accelerators to accelerate the arm since gravity isn’t helping so the decelerators don’t have to work as hard.

So that means that we can potentially throw harder off the mound. But, since gravity is aiding our arm, we must use some other force to slow the arm down. For every action, there is an equal opposite reaction. So, that must be the reason why the rotator cuff as well as the back is so important to taking care of the arm. Because we need those muscles located there to work overtime (at least when we are on the mound). Interesting…

i got clocked on flatground then when i went to mound i didnt feel as balanced. figure u just gata learn the same balance points as you would on flatground because of slope but does anyone know if just the slope itself ads velocity??npa?

I often find that I throw harder off of flat ground than off a mound

but I dont know how