just a thought

Based on his pitching contributions what would we hear Babe Ruth talk about in 2007 relative to conditioning, arm, leg and hip action etc. at a jam-packed pitching clinic?

Probably not much. A lot of what we know about these things has been learned after his time.

back then guys were throwing sidearm without that much of a windup. most guys were fireing it all with the arm. he probably didnt even know his legs were part of his delivery but hey! he still was one of the best pitchers out there when he pitched.

"Probably not much"
I’m ducking and looking for lightning…but Roger…I disagree, remember the Bambino was a manager for a few seasons also, oh they had their methods back then, drop and flop was used throughout most of last century, up until really the 70’s/80’s usually a large step back, hands over head and high leg kick and all mo to the plate. I agree that our art is now more science but back then artistic and individual motions were the norm, and yes some threw sidearm, some were over the top. Remember first and foremost Babe was a pitcher first and one of the very best young arms of his era…heck I think he still has a couple of records. As a showman, he was beyond compare, he was a pitcher and we all know all pitchers think their method is the best…no I think we’d hear a whole bunch out of the Babe at a pitching clinic, but due to the science and nature of how it’s changed we’d more than likely have many folks walking away skoffing at what was said. Speaking of olden times ball I have two books that are magnificent looks at how baseball was looked at and played in bygone era’s, the first “Play for a Kingdom” is set at the end of the Civil War and is something I just couldn’t put down. The other “On any Sunday” was one of the very best books I’ve ever read, it dealt with old town ball in Iowa in the 20’s and 30’s…a great “mind of the game” book…And Well I’ll throw in that I’ve read 3 different biographies of the Babe and each was very informative and interesting…

Also “The Catcher was a Spy”, which is the story of Moe Berg was a different and interesting book from those old days…

JD,

You’re probably right about, well, everything. You sound much more well-versed in the old days of baseball than I am (I’m not).

I was thinking that back then they didn’t really know much about things like leg and hip action - at least not from a more scientific which is what I thought P’fessa was getting at by his reference to a “2007 clinic”. And, as for conditioning, all of the pictures of the Babe that I remember seeing show him as a somewhat portly fellow. Obviously he had strength where it counted but I’m thinking he ate more than his share of ballpark franks.

Any way, I’m sure he would have a lot to say about the topics P’fessa mentioned though it would probably be more “belief system based” than scientifically supported.

“he ate more than his share of ballpark franks.”

And washed em down with copious amounts of beer…

I think, in a way all methods of instruction are belief based…If you ain’t buyin what they’re sellin it don’t matter if Issac Newton OR Mike Marshall made the course. I think that right at this moment in time, our learning is so based on “science” that society has no use for it, unless it (Whatever method) uses jargon aimed to make the student believe unless it is based in heavy scientific research, well it is subject to criticism or just plain invalid, I also love to point out that we all used to believe that we got flies from rotten meat (You could get burned at the stake if you said other-wise, same for the world being round…Da Vinci almost became a soot stain due to that “unscientific” thought)…Someone used to use an old Mazzoni quote about making something as simple as throwing a ball a science experiment. I think that would be the Babes angle. Roger our “Ideal” athlete, person…whatever changes all the time, Babe was just fine as an athlete of his time, likely the peak, just like it was thought that fat/big women were beautiful just as the century turned from 18 to 1900. Heck, Mantle and Martin and Ford and Pepitone used to see just how wasted they could get all the time and were considered the finest examples of athletes in the 50’s.
We know better now…or so we think, if I live to see the mid-century mark it’ll be interesting to see just what is “Ideal” then.

I will also point out that the “new” cutting edge of pitching theory has started to address more stuff than just physical conditioning and mechanical purification…so the pendulum swings.
But thanks for accusing me of being right…I’ll have just a little more spring in the old step for the rest of the day :wink:

I would also hasten to add that in the era in which he was in his prime, drinking any beverage without alcohol in it could make you very dead…quickly. Drinking water in cities came from lead pipes and wasn’t “purified” as it is today so unless you wanted to date “Di”(erreha), you drank alcohol in some form. Heck Coke had coke in it.

He’d probably fool us. I saw an article about a clinic that Ted Williams did. He told different players different things, but he told one player to start swinging down on the ball. Not exactly what many of the gurus who have incorporated his concepts into their systems would expect to hear.

Ted also referred to the swing as a pull- push action. Thanks for the responses about the 2007 Babe Ruth clinic. Obviously he would be laughed at if the present audience heard things like “use a heavy bat. swing so hard that you spin around if you miss, sign autographs for kids only, hoist a few, talk baseball every minute you can, forget about stretching and lifting, use the double pump, wink at all the good lookers, hit the ball out of the park and take your time running”. Maybe he would be the first one to use Berra and Stengelese language.
On a serious note we read that he received some good baseball knowledge from some great teachers at the orphanage. Not only did he have great talent but he inspired my teachers who encouraged us to have fun, dress BIG and love what you do even on the bad days.
When parents ask me to refer them to camps etc I suggest jokingly “the same one that Babe Ruth attended”

I’m a firm believer in that one. All those adult “for profit” collectors need to get lost and let the kids have fun.

Gotta’ let them ballpark franks settle, you know! :stuck_out_tongue: