Just a hint

Just a small hint that i got told by my coach yesturday at training. He said instead of rolling you wrists as your about to hit the ball (like we all get told to do), face the back of your front hand towards the pitcher. This will give you more control higher bat speed and most importantly more power.

Once i did this i hit the ball to the fence 3 times in a row. I was suprised how effective it was.

I’m having some trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

I get what your saying, but you still will need to roll your wrist sometime otherwise you can’t follow threw all the way. Bower think of it as like a backhand slap lol( in yo face charlie murphy lol chapelle show) but yea a backhand slap while gripping a bat, you know so you lead with your hand. Am i wright booma are did I misinterperate what you said?

Ideally, you want your top hand palm facing straight up and your bottom hand palm facing straight down. Then once contact is made you keep your hands on that plane for another 6-8’’ of your swing before you change planes on the follow-through.

Chandlers got it. Its for bat angle, the bat head will be squared with ur hands, so the ball will cop the full force of the bat. When if you do wat Seffapotamus said your bat angle will be slightly behind the hands, making the ball slice.

It will only slice if you do not keep your bat on it’s plane for that additional 8 inches.

Are you saying that you should try to hit the ball with a horizontal swing? That the bat should be parallel to the ground when you load? Because that’s what it sounds like.

“said your bat angle will be slightly behind the hands, making the ball slice.”

I hate to say flatly that someone is wrong…but Bower man…God love ya…this is incorrect, hands should always lead the bat and you never should roll over until after bat strike and extension…This isn’t from me, it’s from the last catcher to hit .300 in the NL…that was .300 and 30 hrs leading the league in doubles. Rick Wilkens was a doubles machine before he hurt his neck. Believe me he changed a whole bunch of paradyms I had…Like I told O’Leary once…I don’t know much about this sport when stacked up against people who do it for a living… :shock:

I’m confused I never commented on this I just aid I had trouble understanding what he was trying to say?

Maby your thinking of Booma lol. Close to Bower.

But at least I know you love me. :wink: :smiley:

Yeah I would have commented if I understood what was going on. :shock:

Booma, Bower, Beyulah…heck, I must have been giddy cause I had something smart to say (Or so he thought… :roll: )…the rareness made my head spin…I was obviously delirious…
I did and was able to figure out that the op had to do with hitting :wink:

[quote=“jdfromfla”]“said your bat angle will be slightly behind the hands, making the ball slice.”

I hate to say flatly that someone is wrong…but Bower man…God love ya…this is incorrect, hands should always lead the bat and you never should roll over until after bat strike and extension…[/quote]

Allow me to Add on here, I have a few tips of my own:

1. THE ONLY TIME YOUR BAT EVER SQUARES WITH YOUR HANDS IS WHEN IT CONNECTS WITH THE BALL. You are pushing your hands out while rotating your chest, the end of the bat is pointing straight ahead and you keep it close to your body, THEN you square the bat. If you square the bat any sooner, your bat speed drops off dramatically.

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image3jn7.gif][img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1/image3jn7.th.gif[/img

1. A SWING DOES NOT GO A, B, C… IT GOES A to C. Shorter route to ball = quicker swing = more power.

http://imageshack.us][img]http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/9391/abcacpz8.png[/img

1. LINE UP YOUR KNUCKLES. Basic part of the swing, you simply cannot get a good swing without lining them up.

2. THE BAT DOES NOT TOUCH THE PALM OF YOUR UPPER HAND. Wrap your fingers around the handle and hold the bat in position with your thumb, I repeat, the bat does not touch your upper hand’s palm.

3. There’s a reason why Major Leaguers don’t do tennis slices when they’re at bat. Take a few slices, then take a few swings like above. Moving your arms completely horizontal is less natural and results in less power. Why? Stick your arms out straight… where are your elbows? That’s right, pointing down. Your elbows aren’t ball and socket joints, they have biceps and triceps to move them up and down, but no muscles to move them left and right (you have your shoulders and chest, but that’s not part of your arm).

Phew… shoulda started my own topic

I never mentioned anything about a parallel swing. You still sing down on the ball as J-Roc has explained. What im talking about is the bat angle compared to the hands not the ground.
This is magglio ordonez with his hands the was i ment.
http://www.backbackback.com/web%20images/magglio_ordonez.jpg

The back of the lead hand faces the pitcher and he doesnt have a parallel swing.

Yeah… that’s called not lining up the knuckles… :expressionless: I guess some people can do without it if Magglio can hit .351 like that

This goes back to what I said before. If you can hit the ball you can hit the ball. If your a good hitter practice hard, take swing after swing after swing then some of the little details won’t effect you.

Thats the way I was taught in Little League…40 years ago…

The proper position of the hands at contact is back of the bottom hand facing the direction of the pitch, palm side of the top hand doing the same.

Once contact is made, the hands follow through…for power hitters the angle is higher than for line drive and singles hitters, but basically toward the field you are hitting to…roll over…and then finish high. Clear as mud, I know…

There are two pictures on

that show what this looks like at contact.

Good luck and have fun!

do u mean lead with the knob of the bat booma