Junior College vs. 4 year school

As a sophomore in high school, I’m starting to hear about getting recruited. I just want to hear everyone’s opinions on what is better overall, between junior college and a university. I know it’s partially dependent on the player, but I just want to see what you guys have to say in regards to the three year commitment vs. no commitment, level of competition, etc.

Hey Carter,
There are just a ton of variables. When my son was trying to decide where to go play he had several different opportunities to very different schools. The first thing you need to look at in my opinion is the academics of the school…what is your major? How does the school fit with your academic plan. Also, the town the school is in and where you are going to be living makes a big difference. A lot of things to consider outside of baseball.
I would really try to speak to the pitching coach as you will be working a lot more with the PC than the head coach. Get a feel for his approach and personality. Seek out guys who have played for him in the past.
Also, if you go the JC route understand there is a wide variety of skill levels with JC ball. Some JCs would be as tough to make as D1 schools and yearly move guys into the draft. Some JCs are just looking for bodies to field a team.
Check out how many pitchers the school typically moves on to four year schools…
Just a few thoughts.

…The first thing you need to look at in my opinion is the academics of the school…what is your major? How does the school fit with your academic plan.

fearsomefour posted the best advice going. Any institution that you plan to attend after high school must tailor your ability to make a living and pull down a paycheck. You’re probability going to be doing your initial life’s work right out school (college), then you’ll probably change careers, maybe twice or three times during your life as your priorities change, along with the need for whatever it is you decide to do for a living. In today’s economy, as value and where that value is made changes, you’ve got to keep in step with that fact of life and plan ahead so as not to be caught in the prop wash of change.

Whatever it is that you plan on doing, don’t plan on waking up one morning at 28 years of age, looking yourself in a mirror and realize you’ve missed judged your place in life.

Best wishes to your career plans.

I would suggest checking out this site:

. I haven’t used the site myself but a representative spoke about the site at the last NPA Coaches Certification I attended and it sounded good.

thanks for post.