Jumping while pitching?

Tonight at a clinic that I watched. I saw the pitching coach teaching young pitchers to jump out on their front foot. Is this right? I believe they still had the ball in their hand while the jump took place.

Any thoughts?

i do that sometimes to get them focusing on getting an agressive weight shift. then you can throttle them back down when it’s too much.

can be good and bad.
Could lead to some bad habits later on.

I agree with Dusty.

when I say jump I mean both feet come off the ground and jumps forward.

[quote=“thunderdevil”]Tonight at a clinic that I watched. I saw the pitching coach teaching young pitchers to jump out on their front foot. Is this right? I believe they still had the ball in their hand while the jump took place.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

This is momentum pitching.

I think it’s based on a false premise, which is why very few pros actually do this.

Well if you’re lifting both feet off of the ground, then you have no base and if you land wrong it will put you off balance and in a very bad position to field the ball. There’s truth in sort of jumping towards the plate since, like Dusty said, it’s shifting weight. But don’t overexaggerate and literally jump as far as you can off of the plate and try to land on the toes of your foot. That’s an exercise that you do during practice, like Dusty mentioned, that helps you work on balance.

Ive tried this before throwing at my house and I threw harder but I had no control at all.