Juco

Hey every one,
I am looking for a college and a scholarship lol.

So far ive decided to go for a junior college, and somewhere that is popular like California or Texas but dont really mind.

My goal is to get signed, so a high standard is preffered or somewhere that i will get seen.

What is average juco pitcher fastball velocity?

does any one have any ideas or websites that i could go to which tell you about specific juco’s, or have been to a juco and would like to reccomend it?

Btw in the last 6months i have gained 11-12mph on my fastball and am still gaining, at the moment i top out at about 84mph. at about 70-80%accuracy.
and started pitching 8months ago (used to be a 3rd baseman)
My goal is to hit 90mph by the end of the year!, with 90%accuracy.

thanks heaps

Simenole State college in Oklahoma is a good juco

I played JUCO ball in Florida about 15 years ago. There are many good JUCO’s around the state. Manatee is a traditional power. Others that have done well recently are Pensacola and Miami-Dade. Gulf Coast, Tallahassee and Oakaloosa-Walton are all doing real well this year. Tough to go wrong with any of those schools. Good luck.

As far as our staff goes, we are a nationally ranked DII Junior College in the midwest that competes in a DI conference. Our top four starters are all above 88 mph consistently. Two are draft and follows. Our closer is 89-92. The big thing is that they all throw those speeds with good movement, not talking straight 4-seams.

The fifth starter is a soph. who throws sidearm 83-85 with incredible movement and change of speeds. He is getting ready to sign at a good DII school. The rest of the staff: two lefties throw 83-86, one righty at 87-89, the rest of the righties are mid-80’s type guys who are working at getting stronger bodies and on their pitchability.

I hope this helps with the ideal of juco baseball pitchers. Keep in mind that we are in the midwest so we will not get as many quality arms as in the south or west.

Thanks jmac, hitch and coach!

Coach, if you were choosing a pitcher what would really and i mean REALLY impress you when watching and selecting a pitcher?

As i said i top out around 84 but started throwin72-73mph 6months ago. i have been told by other players and coaches that i have great “Natural Talent” and could gain an easy 8mph through mechanics ans 4-5 through strength as i am still growing and developing (developed late). I am working hard at getting seen and getting a scholarship. i train with my team twice/week and by myself 4x/week weights and longtoss everyday, i also do endurance and plyo’s 3x/week.

And before you flame me about even thinking about hitting i have a 286 Avg and a 429 Slg, hitting…and we have to use wooden bats…so i can also hit.

Keeping in mind that i also am in my last year of high school i am working hard academically too!

Should i start writing to juco’s about scholarships now or when ive finished school?

What should i include in it to really impress the selecters?

thanks heaps

In looking at a pitcher for our program, I try to think about pitchability now and in the future. Will this kid be able to get outs at our level. Also, how much can he improve and what do I think his “ceiling” is in two years. Can I move him on to a four year school or professional baseball.

As far as pitching goes, I love to see guys with command of a second and possibly third pitch. Not just throwing it for strikes, but throwing something offspeed on a 3-1 count. That kind of confidence in the pitch. At the junior college level, we tend to get either guys who throw with high velocity and need to learn how to pitch, or guys who can pitch but need to throw a little harder to get interest from the big boys.

If the talent is there from a highschooler, then we want pitchers who are willing to work hard and put in the time it takes to get better. It sounds as if you have that part down.

I would start to contact coaches now and ask about availability on next years team. This will give them time to see you and ask the right people about you. If writing, tell them the important stuff but not too much. Stats are o.k. but keep in mind that if we have not seen who you played, those stats tend to not mean as much, such as “I did this against this team” or “I led my league in this”. Top velocity reading, average velo. reading, height, weight, 60yd times, strike to ball ratio(strike pctg.),walk to strikeout ratio, and groundball to flyball ratio are good if you have them. Include things like grade point average, rank in school, act or sat scores.

Hope this helps.

P.S. We played a team in St. Louis, Mo today whose catcher was also from Australia. I know it’s a big country but still a coincidence.

you have no idea how much that helps!

do you know of any good websites which have a list of juco’s which have baseball as a sport?

im finding this the hardest part

thanks heaps coach!

National Junior College Athletic Association

cardiology college?
is that the right address?

No, not cardiology college. You should be able to get to the site by clicking on the link that Mr. Ellis provided. If not, you can “google” njcaa. If you are still having problems, let us know.

haha dont worry Steve fixed it!

thanks for the help everyone!

I would like for you to know that you are making a great decision, in looking for a JUCO. As a developing pitcher, many of the best DI JUCOS in the country may overlook you for someone that is more polished. Also, keep in mind that you don’t need to choose the best JUCOs in the country, look into the schedules of the teams too. When I was in JUCO, we played some of the best teams in FL, which gave all of the players on my team an opportunity to be seen by some great colleges and scouts. I think the best exposure we received is when we played at Chipola JC (FL) and one of the guys on the other team was Adam Loewen. He was the 4th overall pick out of HS and moved onto pitch against team USA in the WBC and is now with the Orioles big league club.
One other thing that I think that you should look for is academics, do the schools that you are looking at provide you with an opportunity to move on to a division I university? Another thing that you should look into, what is the pitching coach’s philosophy? Does this philosophy fit you as a pitcher? Do you mesh with the other players? As a developing pitcher, I would strongly reccomend looking in the midwest. There are quite a few great JUCO baseball programs in Missouri, Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa. Another way to seek out those good programs is to look on the NJCAA website to see what teams have been a mainstay at the World Series. A few of the better JUCOs in the Midwest are Iowa Central, Grand Rapids (MI), Parkland (IL), Elgin (IL), South Suburban (IL), John A. Logan (IL), Forest Park (MO), SWIC (IL), and Olney Central (IL). These teams continually move players onto DI and great DII programs. I hope that some or all of these info will help you out in your search. I was once in the same position that you are in now and attending JUCO was the best decision that I ever made with my playing career.