Joshua Miller Pitching Analysis

Joshua is my son and he is a high school pitcher. His velocity is great but he is having a little struggle with his control. In his last game over the weekend, he said he was struggling with his finish and consistency of release point. We have noticed two things. One is him not landing flat footed on his front leg. The other is him not flexing his front leg but floating out over his knee. I am wondering if him not landing flat footed is contributing to him not flexing his leg and then him not flexing his front leg is leading to his inconsistent finish and release point.

We could really use some advice or drills to help him to flex that front leg. Also, any additional thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

I think you should work on leaving the glove out in front and not initiating shoulder turn by drawing the glove back. It seems you rotate your shoulders before your trunk has traveled far enough forward. You are not bracing properly so your knee keeps coming forward. With both of those issues, you are releasing early at your front foot instead of out beyond it. Early rotation is leading to early trunk flexion. You are finished before you get over your front leg so your knee is drifting forward.
You are good to equal and opposite then work on chest to glove instead of pulling glove to chest.

I’d be interested in a front view to check posture and alignment to see if there is anything there causing issues. Common misses down and away and up and in to righties?

I would like to understand better what exactly you are saying. Do you mean that he should try not to pull with his front arm? Any suggestion of how to stop doing this if he has done it for quite some time? Also, you say that he is rotating too early. So, he should try to stay closed longer, correct? Do you have a suggestion of how exactly to tell him to do this? Finally, I don’t quite understand the first part of your last statement…“you are good to equal and opposite…”. Thanks for your input.

“Equal and opposite” is a term coined about what your hands do after hand break. Tom House (I think) was the originator of the term. I’ll just link his book for a more in depth explanation.

Tom House