Jordan Walden mechanics

I was just wondering about peoples thoughts. What stands out to me is his intent to the plate and the way he rotates his hips.

Sometimes when he throws both his feet are off the ground. That’s insane!

Don’t like his lower body. Loses the coil in his back leg because of the “hop”.

Thats what i was wondering as well. He completely loses contact with the ground, but he’s in the all star game and the radar gun doesnt lie, Triple digits he must be doing something right.

The back leg has contributed all it can by that point, as evidenced by his otherworldly fastball velocities.

The back leg has contributed all it can by that point, as evidenced by his otherworldly fastball velocities.[/quote]

In terms of producing energy, yes. In terms of storing it, no.

He’s “bleeding” energy from the back leg/hip/lower back.

Compare the back leg actions of Price, Ryan, and Verlander. Watch the back knee fire forward.

I think that back knee firing is just a result of the front knee locking out because of the weight shift. Besides in getting back leg coil do you think he could throw any harder? Of course i could be wrong. Im just trying to get a general understanding of correct mechanics.

The back leg has contributed all it can by that point, as evidenced by his otherworldly fastball velocities.[/quote]

In terms of producing energy, yes. In terms of storing it, no.

He’s “bleeding” energy from the back leg/hip/lower back.

Compare the back leg actions of Price, Ryan, and Verlander. Watch the back knee fire forward.

[/quote]

There is no evidence that this phenomenon produces higher arm speeds / fastball velocities. The back knee firing forward is likely due to stride length and nothing else - Ryan/Price have longer relative strides than Walden/Verlander. I would bet that Verlander and Walden’s back knee is about the same if you had side-by-side video.

The back knee firing causes the front knee lockout, not the other way around. It fires as a result of tension/resistance/load in the back hip and lower back being released.

I don’t think he can throw any harder, but I think he can throw more efficient. But he doesn’t have to since he’s a reliever.

[quote=“kyleb”]
There is no evidence that this phenomenon produces higher arm speeds / fastball velocities. The back knee firing forward is likely due to stride length and nothing else - Ryan/Price have longer relative strides than Walden/Verlander. I would bet that Verlander and Walden’s back knee is about the same if you had side-by-side video.[/quote]

About the same with relation to the upper body? Or about the same without reference, simply total movement?

They have longer strides because they allow the back leg/hip to stretch more. Their knees fire farther and more “violently” because they have more stretch in that back leg/hip. They exhibit more hip flexion.

Also, I never said anything about producing higher velocities.

Relation to height.

Did you mean back knee angle in your previous post? Or do you mean how far the back knee travels in relation to height?

Did you mean back knee angle in your previous post? Or do you mean how far the back knee travels in relation to height?[/quote]

For the back knee, I meant the absolute distance it “fires.” I posit that the reason this happens is almost entirely due to stride length (% in relation to height since it would be unfair/misleading to compare absolute distances traveled between Nolan Ryan and a normal-sized human).

Walden reminds me of Shields with his arm action and lower body action. Except he gets off the ground while Shields stays closer to the ground. They both have that “stepover” move.

xv :bowdown:
We are unworthy…but man do we appreciate it… :greengrin: :bigtup: :buhbye:

xv is the guy who taught me how to do those types of video analysis projects over 3 years ago? I still use it today. Just an awesome resource.

He’s in our HOF!!
8)

We are a very lucky site. :nod: