John bagonzi

has anyone heard of this guy, i went to his site and he had a lot of good videos and tips

The problem I have with him is that if you look at his book you will see that he doesn’t understand where arm slot comes from. He thinks it comes the bend of the elbow rather than the tilt of the shoulders.

That in my mind calls into question all of his stuff.

I have a copy of his book and refer to it often. There usually one on the shelf at Borders books if you have one nearby. His strengthes are the mental side of pitching and the passion for curveball pitching. He believes in weighted ball training as well. Like Chris says mechanically not everything he suggests makes sense but for the serious pitcher he has great section on developing a pitching style with twelve common styles described and there strengthes and weaknesses. For mechanics Bill Thurstons book would be a good start.

I’ve watched his mechanics video clip. I thought it was funny when he interrupted his demonstration to explain to a bunch of young kids that his knee was wobbly because it was rebuilt with wire and stuff. I also thought it was funny when he talked about having eyeballs on his knee, hip, and shoulder.

But I otherwise found theinformation in that clip very outdated. For example, he teaches the balance point, he claims that you throw harder if you raise your hands above your head at the start of your delivery :roll:, and he teaches “reaching back”.

After watching that clip, I decided not to invest more time in him.

I like his crusty old new england man style… but that balance point stuff lost me too … coicidentally, it was Roger who enlightened me on getting the hips going early, to hell with the balance point.

It’s so weird that the balance point was tought for so long, even though it seems that pitchers have forever been getting momentum in their hips.

I have the box set DVD of the 86 world series, and all those guys were moving early, Gooden and Ojeda especially and yet all through the 80s when I was a young kid going to camps and stuff one constant thing you’d hear was the balance point. They’d say you should be able to eat dinner off your knee, or whatever…

One cool thing that Bagnozi said in one of those clips is he tells the kids that you can get some batters out just by having good posture and looking like you know exactly what you’re doing out there… it’s pretty true.

Tanner
Forget Bagonzi!! With your very good mechanics, he’ll ruin you.

Bagonzi’s weak on mechanics and strong on describing pitch types and grips.

does anyone have is web site so i can take a look not saying im goin to agree with all of it.

Now that’s funny. :lol: Accurate, too.

Like alot of pitching instructors not everything he writes will fit your style but I think he’s worth the investment in the book. I’ve got most pitching instruction books and I’ve read this one - “The Art of Pitching”. Its worth the read just to find something you can incorporate into your system and to eliminate ideas you choose not to use.

I agree with dm59. But there’s alot more than just mechanics in this book. You can tell by my signature I’m a Bob Feller fan. He said of this book, “The best book on pitching I have ever read.” Ok he didn’t say how many other books on pitching he’s ever read. :wink:

Bagonzi supplies a lot of good information, not everything is perfect. He comes from a great baseball background and has demonstrated success in teaching it to players from the youth through college levels. Like almost any pitching book you’ll have to pick and choose what works for you.

Although the balance point is somewhat of a myth, the ability to achieve the balance point is generally a good step along the development path and I see professional pitchers who don’t pause or slow at the balance point working on the balance point.

Bagonzi is also a genuinely good person who is interested in helping more than self aggrandizement, unlike most of these wannabe gurus.

Dangerous O’ Leary who has no baseball background and no record of teaching success is leery of Bagonzi. I consider that to be a strong endorsement in Bagonzi’s favor.

Actually, “Dangerous” is my middle name.

The best thing about him for me is that he brings you inside the mind of a guy who was a breaking ball pitcher.

I love his comparison of the curve and the slider. I think it is dead on. He is completely right about it is easier to get the slider called for strikes, and that many umpires will miss a call on a curve that drops sharpely-especially at the highschool level.

He is also very good at discribing various change up grips. I also like his styles of pitching.

He seems to indicate that you can throw an effective sinking fastball form over the top, something a vehemently disagree with unless you are talking about a splitter. Ian.

Bagonzi’s Book is great. Good stuff and you can learn alot from him. Like CADAD he is looking to help kids as opposed to being a wanna be GURU. I purchased mine off amazon.com and read it from time to time. It is definitely a book where you can read over and over again.

Bagonzi’s “Yellow Hammer” is something me and the son have been working on. When it’s on it is a beautiful thing to watch.

Bagonzi, Nyman, House, Steven Ellis, etc. You can definitely learn from these guys.

:lol:
http://pitchingprofessor.com/

Actually, “Dangerous” is my middle name.[/quote]

Now that right there is funny, I don’t care who you are!

P.S. I love that movie! :lol: