Johan Santana

I have heard that he has great mechanics. Would he be one to copy or base my mechanics off of?

if you can do what he does, do it.

What do you mean by that?

If you can be one of the best pitchers ever, do it. 8)

I wasnt sure if he meant if you can throw 90 mph or if you pitch like him or im confused :lol:

There’s no question Santana’s effective, but he does some things that make me nervous.

I would copy someone who has been proven to be durable like…

• Maddux
  • Clemens
  • Glavine
  • Nolan Ryan

There’s no question Santana’s effective, but he does some things that make me nervous.

I would copy someone who has been proven to be durable like…

• Maddux
  • Clemens
  • Glavine
  • Nolan Ryan[/quote]
    This is what you are talking about isnt it?

[quote=“joba62”]This is what you are talking about isnt it?
[/quote]

That’s part of it.

There are a lot of similarities between Liriano and Santana and I’m not comfortable that the differences are significant.

O ok I see

santana is 5’10" to 5’11" and throws lights out with a change up. if you can copy his motion and get some results do it, otherwise keep looking. saw the guy cut kc to ribbons one night throwing nothing but 90-92 fastballs, change up at 78 and about 6 breaking pitches for a show pitch. the hardest pitches he threw at 94 were hit off the wall for doubles, then he settled back in and got movement and ground balls, change ups for strike outs. if you can do that you better get after it.

sometimes instead of thinking about mph you might want to consider what you can do to get late movement. if you can’t throw high 80’s you can still get people out. would you rather throw 86-88 straight and get hit, or 83 to 84 with movement and swing and miss. easy question for me.

[quote=“dusty delso”]santana is 5’10" to 5’11" and throws lights out with a change up. if you can copy his motion and get some results do it, otherwise keep looking. saw the guy cut kc to ribbons one night throwing nothing but 90-92 fastballs, change up at 78 and about 6 breaking pitches for a show pitch. the hardest pitches he threw at 94 were hit off the wall for doubles, then he settled back in and got movement and ground balls, change ups for strike outs. if you can do that you better get after it.

sometimes instead of thinking about mph you might want to consider what you can do to get late movement. if you can’t throw high 80’s you can still get people out. would you rather throw 86-88 straight and get hit, or 83 to 84 with movement and swing and miss. easy question for me.[/quote]
So do where would be a good place to start?