Joel Zumaya training

There is an article/interview with Joel saying that Yoga, long toss, and arm band work are responsible for him picking up 5+ mph on his fast ball. At one point, it seems like he says he throws long toss every day. he indicated that he does the Yoga every other day. Does anyone know exactly what his program entails?

Go to http://www.jaegersports.com
He follows the Jaeger long-toss program along with doing the yoga and the J-bands.

Even thought I am a fan of Zumaya I dont know much about his training method but I would say a lot of QUALITY long toss is one way of helping with improving your velocity.

My 15yo has been working with Alan for a lot longer than Zumaya. How come he isn’t over 100 mph yet? :wink:

I know that this quote was made in sarcasm but the bottom line is that Zumaya has been blessed with awesome genetics. When he was born, God touched his shoulder and said, “You’re going to be able to throw the baseball very very very hard.”

Also, does Alan travel at all to do clinics or is he just solely rooted in SoCal? I’ve been fortunate enough to work out with Tom House several times and would love to hear what Alan is all about also. I have his book, the DVD and the J-bands, but sometimes it’s best to hear everything straight from the horse’s mouth.

One thing to keep in mind about Zumaya is that his hip/shoulder separation is tremendous; top 10 percent…

Don’t focus on what his arm does and how strong it is (because his arm action is terrible). Focus on how he throws the ball with his entire body.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

Don’t focus on what his arm does and how strong it is (because his arm action is terrible). Focus on how he throws the ball with his entire body.[/quote]

Sorry, you don’t throw 104+ MPH with terrible arm action. I’d say he’s using his arm(along with the rest of his body) about as efficiently as humanly possible.

[quote=“bamajeff”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

Don’t focus on what his arm does and how strong it is (because his arm action is terrible). Focus on how he throws the ball with his entire body.[/quote]

Sorry, you don’t throw 104+ MPH with terrible arm action. I’d say he’s using his arm(along with the rest of his body) about as efficiently as humanly possible.[/quote]

Yes you do, just not for long (especially if moved into the starting rotation).

I see Zumaya as the next Billy Wagner.

He was born blessed with velocity.

Alan and Jim do clinics. They don’t always advertise them that widely as they usually rely on the people who have invited them to run the clinic to bring in the audience. See their website.

The comment was made in fun, not to be sarcastic. It will be interesting to see how he does at this year’s camp after having to take a year off due to injury. He’s gained about 5" and 40 lbs. since the last time he was there. He’s had to focus on bullpens and really hasn’t been able to throw for distance so it’ll be interesting to see how long he gets while he’s there. Typically his best results don’t come until about 3 or 4 weeks after the camp as we continue the long toss though. Given how hard he’s throwing in games I’m guessing he’ll be out at about 270 or 280’ by then.

I think Yoga is fine for baseball, especially the mental approach, but yoga is far from perfect.

In some cases it actually is bad creating extreme flexibility where one actually needs stability.

For instance, I’m not sure what the position is called, but it is basically a deep back extensions. The spine was made for stability, not flexibility, there are also a few leg positions that take stability from the knee and ankle in favor of flexibility, which I do not like.
To much flexibility where stability is needed will often result in injury or a loss of power.

I really always looked at arm band work as prehab for shoulder longetivity and never anything that would really gain velocity.

Long toss is the only potential velocity boost that I really see from what he did.

No doubt Zumaya has great genetics as well.

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“bamajeff”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

Sorry, you don’t throw 104+ MPH with terrible arm action. I’d say he’s using his arm(along with the rest of his body) about as efficiently as humanly possible.[/quote]

I see Zumaya as the next Billy Wagner.[/quote]Chris, I might have to agree with you

[quote=“tannerlorenz”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“bamajeff”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

I see Zumaya as the next Billy Wagner.[/quote]Chris, I might have to agree with you[/quote]

With all due respect I’m unsure what’s so bad about being the next Billy Wagner, 12th pick overall and 11 years in the big leagues is better than most…

[quote=“centerfield2150”][quote=“tannerlorenz”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”][quote=“bamajeff”][quote=“Chris O’Leary”]

I see Zumaya as the next Billy Wagner.[/quote]Chris, I might have to agree with you[/quote]

With all due respect I’m unsure what’s so bad about being the next Billy Wagner, 12th pick overall and 11 years in the big leagues is better than most…[/quote]Wagner has had many arm injuries over the past

I’m 14 and don’t know too much about pitching but it makes more sence to me that if you want to improve your arm that pitching will do it. Even if you do it daily few pitches but enough that you get a goood workout wouldn’t that be the best workout for your arm? Like pitching in the offseason as much as possible without injuring yourself wouldn’t that make you a lot stronger than like lifting or bands longtoss or whatever else they say works?

Bower,
Long toss done properly, throwing on an arc, allows one to gradually work up to their full distance in a very controlled manner. It is safer for that reason. It doesn’t replace pitching, it is just a safer way to build arm strength.

First, as Tanner said Wagner has had a series of injuries and has lost several complete seasons. IMO, those injuries were largely unnecessary and a product of his poor mechanics.

Second, starters generally make the big bucks.

Chris,

What kind of drills can you do to get the kind of hip shoulder separation similar to Zumaya? I have been told twice that I don’t have very good hip rotation and when I tried to fix it myself it was at the expense of my mechanics. Any suggestions would be helpful.

The amount of separation you get is a function of your flexibility, your mechanics, and your timing. Most likely, you can improve these things to some degree. But there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to achieve the amount of separation Zumaya or any other particular pitcher is able to achieve. Flexibility could probably be the limiting factor.

Most people will never be able to do what Zumaya does.

Here’s a drill that I have my guys use to help them reach their potential…