Jamie moyer fastball mph

he throws very slow for a major leaguer
he got lit up last night

my fastball breaks less than his
does that neccessarily mean i throw harder than him

No, if you throw 70-75 you don’t throw harder than Moyer.

i dont know how hard i throw

i just guessed

you cant see the break in my fastball

No matter how slow he is he’s still in the 80s.

Er, well 80 at least lol.

what are you talking about kelvin? Have you been sipping on grandpas ole cough medicine?

you can see the break in his fastball
it looses velocity before it get to the plate

wow
dudes on JV dont even throw that slow

[quote=“kelvinp”]

wow
dudes on JV dont even throw that slow[/quote]

So everyone on your JV team throws in the 90s!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

[quote]kelvinp wrote:

Quote:
No matter how slow he is he’s still in the 80s.

wow
dudes on JV dont even throw that slow

So everyone on your JV team throws in the 90s!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

[/quote]

sorry
it might look different in the batters box
last year everybody we played agaisnt could throw straight fastballs

A fastball doesn’t break, it moves. Moyer throws slow on purpose to get great movement (I believe, could just get ya with the junk), not saying he could throw 90 but probably faster then he does now. Just cause you can see his fastball “move” and you can’t see yours “move” doesn’t mean you throw harder then him. Have you ever heard of a “straight fastball” :roll: I know a guy who throws “Moyer speed” but his fastball is straight so he gets hammered. Just cause you have less movement then him doesn’t mean you throw hard then him. GET OFF THE PILLS MAN!!!

i’ll stop poppin Zyrtec
lol

i thought he just threw that slow

well why doesnt he make it tail/run or cut
it just goes straight down

Get ground outs. He’s not a Maddux type guy he’s more of a Glavine type. Maddux was movement/control while Glavine is a mix speeds/off speed/control

i have seen moyer top out at 86 before in a game.
He throws the slower fastball so he can utilize the movement to get hitters out. If you watched the nlcs when he was getting hit his fastball was up in the zone where it can get ripped.

"i dont know how hard i throw

i just guessed"

------That explains a lot. I’ve gunned pitchers in competition from many different age and ability ranges. Just two examples of ranges I’m familiar with:

Typical velocity range for D-III Junior College pitchers: High 70’s to mid-80’s.

Typical velocity range for JV High School pitchers: High 60’s to low-70’s.

Those are bell-shaped curves–I would venture to say that rather few JV High School pitchers throw as high as 75, and most D-III JUCO pitchers do not throw as high as 85.

Over on High School Baseball Web once upon a time, a very knowledgeable and savvy coach suggested that, from his experience, when they are simply estimating what they do, most pitchers (and their parents) tend to add about 10 mph to their actual velocity.

There are various reasons to dislike radar guns, I suppose, but I suspect that one of the big reasons is: They don’t lie about velocity.

Jaime Moyer throws his change-up anywhere from 72-78 mph, his fastball has historically topped out at 86. He rarely throws that fastball. In fact, I’ve been to games he started in Seattle where he didn’t throw even one fastball over 6+ innings.

Moyer is a speed-change pitcher. He relies on his slow/slower/bugsbunny-swing-three-times-at-the-same-pitch repertoire. He throws a lot of stuff off of the plate with great late movement. But if that movement isn’t there, he gets hammered. At one point he led the league in homers against (don’t know how he ended the year).

Never my favorite pitcher but always one of my favorite people, Jaime Moyer is a standout among professional athletes. He gives to the community like few others. I wish him luck.

Hose

i throw just a fast a s three dudes on my jv team last year
they hit 80 consistantly(only one was gunned)
i throw just as fast as them
one dude on varsity maxed out a 94mph but hits upper 80’s consistantly

where can i get "gunned"
or buy a radar gun

re: "where can i get “gunned”

—Ummmmm, why don’t you ask the alleged dude on your alleged JV team who was allegedly gunned at 80? Presumably, there was an allegedly functional radar gun involved…

By the way, you should update the claims on your by-line. You now officially throw 80 mph consistently because, like you said: “i throw just a fast a s three dudes on my jv team last year they hit 80 consistantly”

Why limit your claims to 70 - 75 mph, when you can obviously throw 80 mph consistently. Heck, you probably even touch 85 mph, kelvin, in your active imagination.

You are truly a legend in your own mind.

you can see the break in his fastball
it looses velocity before it get to the plate"

…and your point is? Man, all fastballs lose velocity on their way to the plate.

“Typical velocity range for JV High School pitchers: High 60’s to low-70’s.”

Thats a little too generalized. No one on any of my highschool teams ever threw in the 60’s, and i never faced one who threw that slow. Most of the guys i played with in little league threw alot harder than that.
My JV team had 3 guys throwing in the 80’s, I was topping out at 85, averaging 83-84.

he is the only dud in the majors that throws a slow breaking fastball
i thought his fastball was just very slow until i was told otherwise

[quote]—Ummmmm, why don’t you ask the alleged dude on your alleged JV team who was allegedly gunned at 80? Presumably, there was an allegedly functional radar gun involved…

.[/quote]

he said some scout did it at a fall ball game before school baseball started

[quote]By the way, you should update the claims on your by-line. You now officially throw 80 mph consistently because, like you said: “i throw just a fast a s three dudes on my jv team last year they hit 80 consistantly”

Why limit your claims to 70 - 75 mph, when you can obviously throw 80 mph consistently. Heck, you probably even touch 85 mph, kelvin, in your active imagination[/quote]

i didnt want to say until i was sure
i just put what i can get easily