Jake Peavy Mechanics

My idol:

he throws all arm. To everyone: never try to copy his mechs

Not all but I must admit he has a tendency to open his front shoulder up early.

And he has some of the most electric stuff in all of the MLB. Not saying you should copy his mechanics, he does put a lot of pressure on his arm, but so far hes been able to avoid any serious arm issues I believe. (I mean season ending surgery serious)

But also take into account he hasn’t been playing in the bigs along time yet. No saying he will get hurt but as he gets older he will be more prone to it and his velocity will decrease alot, unlike whole body throwers such as Nolan Ryan,Tim Lincecum,Scott Kazmir, Joba Chamberlain

its funny kaz, 2 of the pitchers you named that are “whole body throwers” have gotten hurt very early in careers with arm problems to. all this this guy throws all body or all arm is just bs.

as everybody previously said, that “flying open” is one mechanical flaw. however, im a fan of his high leg kick.

he has a real violent and quirky arm action. I don’t know who said it but Kazmir, Chamberlin, and Lincecum have pitched for years yet. Ryan on the other hand…

Peavy has a weird delivery, but it works for him. Thats what you have to find as a pitcher

[quote=“Priceless”]he has a real violent and quirky arm action. I don’t know who said it but Kazmir, Chamberlin, and Lincecum have pitched for years yet. Ryan on the other hand…

Peavy has a weird delivery, but it works for him. Thats what you have to find as a pitcher[/quote]

Ryan? Anyway, Lincecum’s mechanics are “weirder.” His stride is 127% of his body while the average pitcher’s stride is 87% (he’s 5’10", his stride is 7’1"). Hey, it’s whatever works for you.

And I certainly wouldnt say Peavy is all arm either. You simply dont throw 95 with just your arm. Hes quick and explosive, obviously he does fly open but if you google a picture of him, he looks to stride about 85% or so of his height with a lot of hip/shoulder seperation. Peavy isnt a big dude either, he uses more body than I think you give him Credit for. Hes not Lincecum, but who is?

^ That is 100% incorrect. I believe there was a guy (last name Brownie?) who was drafted in the 1st round out Rutgers. Threw 98 mph heat…one problem…all arm. His velocity has decreased alot in the last 2-3 years. He now throws 84-85 and has no idea why. I believe he’s on the Nationals AA team now.

The one thing that makes me cringe everytime I see Peavy throw is his arm recoil… :shock: I don’t see how he’s lasted this long, he must have one helluva conditioning routine. I like Peavy as much as the next guy, but as others stated he does some things very well and some not so well.