Jaeger Pro Camp Article

Here’s an article about the guy CASon goes to and his pro camp. You may need to register. I didn’t have to though.

I take it guys like John Rocker and Kenny Rogers never invested in an Alan Jaeger Pro Camp.

The Jaeger approach to the mental game is much different than the traditional shall we say “blue collar” approach. I’m not sure I could relate but I am intrigued by the “Far Eastern Arts”. He’s got a nice portfolio of professionals under his counsel.

Don’t get fooled by the mental training emphasis from the article. They do a lot of running, stretching, isometrics, arm conditioning, long toss and bullpens in addition to the mental training and there’s nothing “mystical” about the mental training.

I stopped by the pro camp a couple years ago and they were watching one of the pitchers throw a pen. They picked up something he was doing to tip his pitches while we were there. The pitcher went from a good but nothing spectacular pitcher to the best pitcher in the minors over the next couple seasons and looks to have a pretty good shot at being in the starting rotation in the bigs this season.

CADad,

Do you know what exactly Hirsh was doing to tip his pitches? I know his stuff was a bit flatter that year, but he was pretty dominant last season.

Yep. Not going to say. It was pretty simple but not something I would have picked up in a million years.

Is Jaeger’s long toss program anything revolutionary or is it just normal long toss that encourages pitchers to air it out?

When I think about his approach towards the mental side of pitching, it makes me want to give it a shot. To come back to a moment of peace could erase everything bad that might have happened so far and help for a more calm mind set.

Palo,
Nothing revolutionary. The key to the long toss is throwing on an arc as you move out in distance. This ensures that you are only throwing hard enough to reach that distance. As a result your warm up is guaranteed to be gradual. The other part is then throwing on a line as you move back in while maintaining the same intensity you had at full distance to re-establish the release point.

Most of the concept of Jaeger’s long toss, arm circles and tubing exercises is based on prehabilitation. He’s taken the exercises that one would do to rehabilitate an arm and worked them into a program to condition the arm.

Throwing on an arc is especially important when rehabbing an arm. If you try to throw on a line you have no way to measure how hard you are throwing the ball unless you’ve got someone there with a radar gun, and it is easy to overthrow and reinjure the arm, but if you throw on an arc then your distance becomes the measurement of how hard you are throwing. That’s the whole concept behind an interval throwing program.

CADad

When throwing on an arc are you using the pitching mechanics or are crossover steps and “crow hops” allowed?

Last year’s #1 pitcher graduated with a loose shoulder and had to lay off throwing throughout the fall and winter of his freshman year in college. He always threw year round and lots of long toss. A pro scout told me his velocity actually decreased between his junior and senior year. How do you know when you are throwing too much if there is no chronic or recurring pain?

Living in SoCal is it common to throw year round or do you take a few months off as recommended by some (ASMI, etc.)?

Dino,
Crow hop is expected to take stress off the arm.

Lots of people throw year around. Some take time off. I don’t know what the “right” answer is. It is probably a good idea to take a few weeks off each year but then it is very important to work back into throwing very gradually and very carefully after the layoff.

CADad, thanks for the info.

I’ve personally found that my arm responds better to 90-120 ft. long toss, throwing on a line. I used to really stretch it out from 250-300 ft, but I found that was counterproductive for me. Just another example that everyone is different.