I've decided

to redo my entire motion/mechanics based on this article-
http://www.pitching.com/pitching_mechanics.php
. It seems to have good points, and has some things that I don’t do. I have already posted 1 movie, later on today, I will take another video with these mechanics put into my motion. If there are any comments on whether this is a good article or bad article, please say, and if there is a better place, please post.

no comments…sugestions…tips…haha

Tanner
Be very careful of that description of mechanics. It’s several years old and doesn’t reflect what he’s teaching these days. For example, the section entitled “Added Power - Drive The Back Knee Forward And Inward”. He’s come out very strongly against this teaching for the last 2 or 3 years. That’s how far behing that page is. Either buy his DVD’s (many out there say to stay away from him) or try another, like SETPRO (my recommendation) or Tom House, Ron Wolforth, Steven Ellis, etc.

Ok, I just read the article and I have two main concerns. First, he seems to be describing what he thinks is the perfect delivery down to a very detailed level. If the elite pitchers all had perfect deliveries, they’d look like clones. But they don’t - they all look different. The have certain things in common but differ in other things. That tells me that those other things are not as important and can differ from pitcher to pitcher. Second, I feel a number of points Mills makes in the article are wrong. I’d recommend finding another guru to follow. I’m particular to Tom House.

[quote=“Tanner Lorenz”]to redo my entire motion/mechanics based on this article-
http://www.pitching.com/pitching_mechanics.php
. It seems to have good points, and has some things that I don’t do. I have already posted 1 movie, later on today, I will take another video with these mechanics put into my motion. If there are any comments on whether this is a good article or bad article, please say, and if there is a better place, please post.[/quote]

The problem I have with this article is that is pretty much ignores the real source of power in any pitch; the carefully sequenced rotation of the hips, torso, and shoulders.

To generate significant power using the body (and reduce the load on the arm), you have to delay when the front hip opens until the last possible second and then, once the glove-side foot lands, delay when the shoulders start to turn. This opening up of the hips while the shoulders stay closed stretches the muscles of the torso which then allows them to powerfully pull the shoulders around.

While I have many problems with what Tom House teaches, I think he generally gets this right when he talks about Late Torso Rotation.

I don’t think this is a bad cue because it helps to maximize the ability of the hips to turn.

Go to SETPRO, i went on there a while ago and it said that Dick Mills Always changes his pithcing techniques and mechanics, and seems to copy setpro alot, just read some articles about dick mills on setpro!

thanx for the advice, is this the only thing u disagree with dick mills in his teachings, cuz i tried everything but the leg thing, and it felt pretty good, much better than before

[quote=“el3ctro”]Go to SETPRO, i went on there a while ago and it said that Dick Mills Always changes his pithcing techniques and mechanics, and seems to copy setpro alot, just read some articles about dick mills on setpro![/quote]Let me tell you this. Although I publicly advise that SETPRO is the best (my opinion) place for pitching/throwing mechanics information, they have a real hate on for Mills and will say whatever to discredit him. When they say that Mills is always changing his techniques, he would counter that it’s progress because of new information. Over the past couple of years, he’s run into Brent Rushall and Angel Borelli, both of whom he says have had an impact on how he looks at this stuff. The SETPRO crowd will naturally say he’s copying them. That’s what competitors do.

I don’t know what’s true but, If you want good information, go to SETPRO. You just have to either enjoy the bashing of Mills and others or you put up with and ignore it because the info there is that good, which I believe it is.

I don’t think this is a bad cue because it helps to maximize the ability of the hips to turn.[/quote]It’s a horrible cue because it actually inhibits one of the “driving forces” for hip rotation, that being the back leg extending. Also, I can’t find too many pros who do it. Rivera is the closest I have video of and he doesn’t really bring it forward and in. It just never really extends. Clemens, Ryan, Brown, Wagner, Beckett, etc. etc. all extend that back leg. Part of this is to have a longer distance to develop momentum. The other reason for extension is to fuel hip rotation into landing.