I've always said, ya know

I’ve always said …

Ya know, people will never know how stupid you are until you open your mouth.

Ya know, you were born slow, not stupid - act like it.

Ya know, static electricity is nature’s way of letting know what happens when
you rub something the wrong way.

Ya know, when you hurt someone’s feelings, it’s like putting your spikes on
the wrong feet. You can still walk, but it just doesn’t feel right.

Ya know, ( and this always works) stand at the plate without a bat, then watch
a pitch come in, then take the bat in your hands and then swing with at the next
pitch - 100% of the time (if it’s a strike) you’ll hit that pitch, guaranteed.

Ya know, take the mound with a two baseballs in your glove hand (without your
glove on) and a baseball in your pitching hand. Either from the wind up or the
stretch, pitch your first pitch. Guaranteed, you’ll hit your backstop dead on - 100%
of the time.

Coach Baker,
I agree greatly with the idea of watching a pitch with no bat. Really seeing the ball can act as a reset for a guy that is struggling making good contact.
I had a basketball coach in high school that would have us run new plays without a basketball until we got the play down…the ball was a distraction to learning how to move in rhythm with one another.

I was asked to put one of my pitchers, who tossed nothing but breaking balls & junk, in for a BP session. Our batting coach had a man in our lineup that couldn’t hit spit on the fluff and junk. He had the player stand in the box and watch my guy toss for about twenty minutes, breaking down those twenty minutes in two minutes intervals. It was a warm, muggy mid-morning session, and at first I thought it to be a total waste of time. But, he bet me a round of frosties that his guy could light anyone of my guys up that afternoon. You’re on!

The BP session came and went. Later that afternoon I sent four of my best up against this guy. My junk man wanted a piece of this guy, and bad. I seems that they didn’t get along all that well to begin with.

The afternoon session came and went. I learned two things that day that I’ll never forget. First, this kind of practice got results big time and it greatly enhanced our entire lineup. Second, I had to dig deep into my reserves for a coach who could down a round of Schlitz like you wouldn’t believe.

Why this works for a batter I really don’t know. All I know it works.

Coach Bob Morgan at Indiana University always stresses the batter to be in the mindset of Yes, Yes, Yes to No. You are definitely swinging at the pitch until you decide you are not. Do not wait to recognize a strike and decide to swing. The only decision, he says, is NOT to swing. Otherwise, hack away with your three best swings every time up. Check swings are not allowed at Indiana University. I’ve loved that outlook from the time I first heard it.

I also combine a pitching inside drill with a batter decision drill. I put the batter behind a screen placed at the front of the batter’s box. His job is to identify and react to pitches without any threat of being hit by them. The pitcher is trying to hit locations in a mock at bat–including pitching in on the hands with confidence. He knows he can’t hurt anyone while he’s developing this skill because a bad pitch will hit the screen and not the batter. The batter gains confidence in his ability to turn away from or avoid those up and in pitches so they become less of a mind freak for them in the game.

Coach Paul,
I really like that routine. Makes sense and serves both sides of the pitcher/batter learning curve.

Really great post!

That batter was not nearly as stupid as one would believe. Standing up there at the plate with no bat in his hand during the morning session he had an unparalleled opportunity to observe that pitcher, really get a good read on him, and in the afternoon session he was able to pick a pitch he could hit, and he hit it. Too bad the so-called “junk man” didn’t have a fastball…