It Takes a Stranger to Get My Kid to Talk

[quote=“Coach Baker”]IT TAKES A STRANGER TO GET MY KID TO TALK—
A neighbor of mine had moved to another town and I hadn’t seen him for a couple of years- along with two rakes, a garden hose nozzle, lawn spreader, and a few other assorted sundries. In any event, one afternoon I got a call asking if I could possibly help his oldest son. It seems that he was having all kinds of trouble with the set (stretch) position. When I pressed him for the details, all I got was a long pause and a –“it’s kind of hard to explain”.
Soooooo,… one Sunday afternoon I got myself comfortable in a lawn chair, in a not too conspicuous spot and watched the youngster go to work. And a fine job he did – right up until he had runners on the bag(s).
From that moment on, the ump sounded like a yard chicken – balk-balk-balk-balk!
Needless to say the kid was pulled off the bump and sat on the bench totally besides himself.
After the game I asked the field umpire what was the infraction? Being that I couldn’t get a good view from where I was sitting. With his hand over his mouth – trying desperately to hold back a giggle, he said and
I quote…. “he gots the hic-ups…bad.”
The hic-ups!!!
“Yep, the hic-ups”, the ump said. “ He gets them so bad that he moves everything”.
In all my years of coaching I’ve never experienced such a condition. However, my sympathy was with the young man because he was very talented – even prospect material.
After talking with the youngster, it seems that for one reason or another at this stage in his life, he got a very bad case of anxiety, and his hic-ups were in response to that anxiety. But only when competing in sports. How-when-why, this all came about, I never found out.
In any event, early professional help did the trick and his father was so grateful that he couldn’t stop thanking me – and saying —“I got-ta find this out from a stranger“. After that came the …” if there’s anything, anything at all I can do for you…” I shrugged it off as a learning experience, but then came to my senses and said … “oh yea, there is — two rakes, a garden hose nozzle, lawn spreader, ahhhhh, and a new Buick”. ( What da-think, a little over the top with the Buick thing?.)[/quote]

Well if it were me, I’d say the Buick thing is do-able. You know how hard it is to find a really good lawn spreader!

Well if it were me, I’d say the Buick thing is do-able. You know how hard it is to find a really good lawn spreader!

I printed this post of yours and passed around to a few of the coaches
that I meet with for breakfast on Tuesdays. The dinner that we meet at
has a small copy machine – so it made the rounds. Great post!