Is this good for your arm?

I wouldn’t think so his arm is bent in like 4 different directions.

[quote=“futureKazmir”]I wouldn’t think so his arm is bent in like 4 different directions.

[/quote]

What his arm is doing is fairly normal.

The real issue is that it shows that he’s probably got a timing problem. His forearm should be closer to vertical at this moment.

Both elbows appear to be bent about the same amount as are both wrists. Looks like pretty good opposite and equal to me.

Opposite and equal may be a good cue, but it’s not enough when it comes to judging mechanics.

Mark Prior is very opposite and equal but is still a mess.

there is balance in the arms

I interpret your comment to mean you think there are other things wrong with him besides the usual thing you complain about - that being the inverted “W” and the associated timing issue. Assuming this is correct, what else do you think is wrong with Prior?

I interpret your comment to mean you think there are other things wrong with him besides the usual thing you complain about - that being the inverted “W” and the associated timing issue. Assuming this is correct, what else do you think is wrong with Prior?[/quote]

His inability to dodge things like balls and people.

wait, i’m confused.

Wasn’t Prior once said to be the most flawless pitcher?

Spencer,
If the baseball thing doesn’t work out, you’ve always got a career in comedy to fall back on. :goofball:

[quote=“MaineBall”]wait, i’m confused.
Wasn’t Prior once said to be the most flawless pitcher?[/quote]

Tom House once claimed that Prior had perfect mechanics. He no longer makes that claim but he continues to pay the price for having said that.

Here is my current thinking on Mark Prior…

http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics.html

In addition to, and partly due to, the Inverted W Mark Prior also has problems with hyperabduction and a major timing problem.

I also have another piece in progress that compares Prior to Maddux and Ryan and points out the differences in their mechanics.

People can say what they want about Mark Prior’s bad luck. His mechanics are unique (even unprecedented) in many ways, and I think those differences do a better job of explaining his fate than do bad luck or “blame the victim” tactics like saying he didn’t stick to his conditioning program.

[quote=“Roger”][quote=“MaineBall”]wait, i’m confused.
Wasn’t Prior once said to be the most flawless pitcher?[/quote]

Tom House once claimed that Prior had perfect mechanics. He no longer makes that claim but he continues to pay the price for having said that.[/quote]

People never should have taken those comments about Mark Prior as seriously as they did. That is because they were made by Tom House, who had a gigantic conflict of interest because he was the person who taught Mark Prior his pitching mechanics.

I don’t think House has completely retracted these comments, or at least his followers haven’t.

You still hear a lot of “wait til next year” things being said about Mark Prior by House boosters like Will Carroll and Carlos Gomez.

I don’t see Mark Prior amounting to much in the long term (or even the short term) until and unless he rebuilds his mechanics from the ground up.

[quote]You still hear a lot of “wait til next year” things being said about Mark Prior by House boosters like Will Carroll and Carlos Gomez.
[/quote]

Carlos Gomez is definitely not a “House Booster.” He is a Nyman guy who has briefly mentioned some of House’s ideas. That said, Prior is extremely linear, cutting off his rotation through the throw and that is definitely not something that Gomez or Nyman would advocate. Not sure where you got the idea that Gomez is a House guy.[/b][/code]

I can’t speak to “the followers” but I can say I’ve personally heard House say on more than one occasion that there are no perfect mechanics. I’ve seen House face to face once or twice a year for the last 3-4 years.

House’s comments weren’t that bad in context. 95% of what Prior does is EXCELLENT mechanics. His separation of hips and shoulders and dynamic balance is/was Maddux-esque. Your assertion that Prior’s mechanics are about “the worst you have ever seen” is a bit of an exaggeration.

I’ve seen Prior recently and he is working hard to correct his hyperabduction/timing problems. I personally think his top velocity is gone and he’s going to throw with pain (like alot of pitchers do) but I don’t necessarily think he is done long term.