• DB rows and Lateral Raises: 3-4 supersets, 8-12 reps
• DB Shrugs: 3-4 sets, 8-15 reps
• Hammer Curls: 3-4 sets, 8-15 reps
Tuesday: Dynamic Effort- Lower Body
• Vertical or Broad Jumps: 5-8 sets, 1-3 jumps
• Steps-Ups: 2-3 sets, 8-10 reps
• Romanian Deadlift: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
• Spread Eagle Sit-ups w/ DB: 4 sets, 10-15 reps
• Ground-based mobility drills (5-15 minutes) - Sample mobility drills include: roll-overs into V-sits, fire hydrant circles, mountain climbers, groiners, etc.
• Frequency drills (2-3 minutes) –These drills should only last 5-10 seconds, and I recommend 2-3 sets for each. (Example: low pogo jumps, wideouts, ankling, etc.)
• Speed Training- 10 yard starts (8 sprints, 1 min rest between), Shuttle Drill (5-6 reps, 1-2 min rest between), 10 sprints (10 sprints, 1 min rest between)
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: Repetition- Upper Body
• Pushup Variations: 4 sets, 12-15 reps
• Seated DB Power Cleans and Rear Delt Flyes: 3 Supersets, 8- 12 reps
• DB Lateral Raises: 4 sets, 8-12 reps
• DB Shrugs and DB Curls: 3 Supersets, 8-10 reps
• Plate Pinches: 2-3 sets, 2-3 reps
• Sprinter Sit-ups- 3 sets, 20 reps
Friday: Max Effort- Lower Body
• DB Squats: 3-5 reps max
• Walking Lunges: 3 sets, 6-12 reps
• Romanian Deadlift: 3 sets, 8-12 reps
• Ab Circuit(Sprinter sit-ups, V-ups, toe touches, Hip Thrusts) : 2-3 sets, 10-20 reps

Saturday and Sunday- Off

Got it from www.defrancostraining.com, The Skinny Bastard Part 3

I will still throw everyday and long toss three times a week.

In your opinion is this is a good workout for a baseball pitcher/shortstop and football player. If it isn’t, does anyone no of any good routines? Thanks.

P.S. Are there any excercises or throwing programs that I should add to this workout, thanks.

The template you listed is actually part of DeFranco’s off-season program. If you are planning on using it during the current baseball season, you might end up overtrained and a bit sore.

He has an inseason template on pages 15 and 16 of the WS4SB 3 article - http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf
The volume is low, but it is effective for maintaining strength throughout the competitive season without taking away from your sport specific activities, like practices and games.

If you were talking about using this routine for the off-season, then yes I believe it is one of the best around. For a two sport athlete, there are a lot of demands that you need to meet - strength, size, speed, power - and Joe addresses each of the attributes in a way that allows the athlete to stay near his peak performance level throughout the training.

One thing I would caution is to avoid doing the same exercises every week. Joe gives several exercise options for each day, so you want to try and work different ways to always keep the muscles guessing. Remember that you want to train to be a better athlete, not to get better in a certain lift. So if you do the barbell floor press one week, try the incline barbell press the next week, the weighted chinups the next and so on. If there are exercises you want to avoid for pitching reasons, like overhead pressing or heavy benching, then you can make substitutions based on the options that Joe lays out.

[quote=“kc86”]The template you listed is actually part of DeFranco’s off-season program. If you are planning on using it during the current baseball season, you might end up overtrained and a bit sore.

He has an inseason template on pages 15 and 16 of the WS4SB 3 article - http://www.elitefts.com/ws4sb/WS4SB.pdf
The volume is low, but it is effective for maintaining strength throughout the competitive season without taking away from your sport specific activities, like practices and games.

If you were talking about using this routine for the off-season, then yes I believe it is one of the best around. For a two sport athlete, there are a lot of demands that you need to meet - strength, size, speed, power - and Joe addresses each of the attributes in a way that allows the athlete to stay near his peak performance level throughout the training.

One thing I would caution is to avoid doing the same exercises every week. Joe gives several exercise options for each day, so you want to try and work different ways to always keep the muscles guessing. Remember that you want to train to be a better athlete, not to get better in a certain lift. So if you do the barbell floor press one week, try the incline barbell press the next week, the weighted chinups the next and so on. If there are exercises you want to avoid for pitching reasons, like overhead pressing or heavy benching, then you can make substitutions based on the options that Joe lays out.[/quote]

Yeah, I am training in-season for baseball, but off-season for football. So I am trying to gain some mass, but I would really like to increase my velo.

I had a question, maybe instead of doing the lateral rasies should I do front delt raises, I am pretty sure they help with throwing a baseball and I think they would help with velo, what do you think?

The only problem with switching the excercises, I don’t beloong to a gym, so I workout at home. And I only have dumb bells (5 pds. to 30 pds.), a bar bell and a bench. In the near future I will be joining a gym, but for now I will have to make use of what I have.

Your high school doesnt have a weightroom that you can use?

I’m not in high school yet, I am in the 8th grade. Right now I don’t know what school I will be going to yet. But, what ever high school I choose, they all have a weight room.

I wish I was that dedicated and knowlegable about training in the 8th grade… jeez.

Good on ya man.

Well in that case I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Do what you can with the equipment you have and try not to go too heavy right now. When you start freshmen football they should set you guys up with a real basic lifting program to get started.

And I agree with northpaw. You are miles ahead of the competition already, keep with it.