Is the black part of a strikezone?

How should an umpire call pitches over the plate? Is the black considered part of the plate therefore making that part of the strikezone? I’ve had umpires taht call a strike anywhere between battersbox lines, umpires that had to have the ball inside the black to be a strike, and ones that fall inbetween. What are thoughts on this, mainly on getting or not getting calls on the black.

Doesn’t really matter. You need to figure out what the umpire’s zone is. The sooner you figure it out and adapt to it, the better.

And I would add, hope the ump keeps the same strike zone for both teams, every hitter, every inning. There have been way too many games already this year where the strike zone starts to shrink as soon as one team gets a lead. Talk about frustration lol! It’s hard for hitters and pitchers when the ump is inconsistent. Shrug

As a state certified umpire I will tell you that the black is very definately a strike, now the other side of the coin I’ll give you a short story to illustrate how it “really” is; Part of my certification process was to attend a bunch of clinics and at one of them I had a discussion with a Minor League professional umpire, we were talking plate mechanics and finally I asked him to define “his” strike zone (As a coach with 20 years on me I know that all umps have their own zone). He said that it was an unfair question, that a strike was a strike. So I would say this too you…umps want outs, they are in charge of managing the game to get to resolution, the best you or me or our kids can hope for is consistancy fairness and activity and to never let the umpire be in control of how we play. You will get good ones and unfortunately you’ll get bad ones, hopefully the balance will be in your favor, if not, it’s up to the player to overcome, not blame.

[quote=" it’s up to the player to overcome, not blame.[/quote]

Amen.

The black is not part of the strike zone although a lot of umpires will call it. The plate is 17" wide by rule. The black is past that 17".

This is not correct.

The rules state that a ball is a strike when any portion of the ball passes through the strike zone. Given that the diamater of a ball is roughly 2 1/4 inches, the strike zone is roughly 2+17+2 inches (or 21) inches wide.

Therefore, the black is part of the strike zone.

Per the definition section of the rules…

A STRIKE is a legal pitch when so called by the umpire, which –
(a) Is struck at by the batter and is missed;
(b) Is not struck at, if any part of the ball passes through any part of the strike zone;
© Is fouled by the batter when he has less than two strikes;
(d) Is bunted foul;
(e) Touches the batter as he strikes at it;
(f) Touches the batter in flight in the strike zone; or
(g) Becomes a foul tip.

The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the knee cap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

Chris,
Do you put out statements like that just to prove you don’t know what you are talking about? If the strike zone extended to the black then any part of the ball could pass over any part of the black and be a strike but that isn’t the case. Any part of the ball can pass over the 17" strike zone and be a strike. Duh!