Is my Workout plan good?

I just wanted to know if my workout plan is good, I feel like it is and so do others:

In the Fall

Mon, Wed, and Fri:
5:30 a.m.- 40 minute run
12:30- 30 minuite long toss
4:00- Cross Country Practices

Tues, Thrus
Same as Mon but w/o Long toss

Saturday:
Pitching lesson w/ Ryan Falcon

I also play in a Fall Ball league

Winter

Monday-Friday

5:30- 20 minute run
6:00-Reps w/ dumbells (and/or resistance bands when I get new ones)

Saturday
7:00- 20 minute run
12:00- hour workout session (Bench, reps, etc.)
7:00 p.m. 20 minute run

Spring

Monday-Fri
5:30- 20-30 minute run
12:30- 10 minute long toss (on Mon. Wen. and Fri.)
5:30-8:10- Baseball Practice

Saturday
6:00- 10-20 minute run
Pitching lesson w/ Ryan Falcon

Summer

Occasional runs, not really planed out
One 3 mile moutian biking trip a week
Ocassional swimming workouts
Ocassional throwing and pitching

You have quite a bit of long distance running. I don’t know whether or not your trying to lose/gain weight but if your trying to do the latter this is not a good workout program.

However, if your trying to lose some weight I would recommend you do some sprints. Baseball is a fast-twitch movement, whether it be hitting, pitching, or fielding. So sprinting just reinforces this since you moving as fast as you can.

Idk if you do this in you workout but spend time with your core and legs. I found this to be helpful to add speed onto your pitches, but it only works with good mechanics. And I agree- long distance running is good (also you need to if your in CC) but baseball you need speed. I would try doing 60 yd dashes and 90 ft sprints.

Whether a workout plan is “good” or not depends on your goal. What is it?
I saw in another thread you stated that you need to gain 20lbs…is that still the goal?

From reading your post above you only weight train 3-4 months a year?
Also vague on what kind of weight training you do…

Also, as noted by other posters in this thread, there is ALOT of running…hope that is in line with your goal…

Would like to help but need more detail…

if you are trying to gain weight, as I have already stated to you in the past, distance running is atrocious. Not sure why you started this thread if you have already decided that your program is good.

AccelerateGuy: In an earlier thread my coaches want me pitching in the mid 70’s to low 80’s next year, and a few people said that I needed to gain weight because I am so tall and skinny. I do run Cross-Country and I am ranked in the top 100 in the state and was on Varsity my Freshman year. I do want to play college and pro baseball, but it is hard to give up Cross country sence I am so good at it.

LankyLefty: I never said once that I decided this workout program was good, if I did why would I post asking if it was good? As I said above it is pretty hard to give up Cross Counntry (and I also read your post about running Cross Country in another thread)

I’ll look it over and post a new workout schedule and I would really like some specific feedback on what on the new one I can add or change.

This is the imporvised one, please give specific feedback on what I can add and get get rid of.

Fall

Monday-Friday
5:30 a.m- Reps w/ dumbells (15-20 minutes)
4:00- Cross Country Practice (Might stop after my Sophmore year)
7:00- Pitching and Feilding Drills(10-20 minutes)

Saturday
6:00 am-Resistance Bands(20-25 minutes) and Baserunning Drills(30 minutes)
1:00- Pitching lesson w/ Ryan Falcon(1 hour)

I am also playing in a Fall Ball League

Sunday
(Wondering what I should do on Sundays)

Winter

Monday-Friday
5:30a.m- Reps(Monday, Wed, Fri for 20-25 minutes), or 20 minute run(Tues and Thurs)
6:00- Resistance Bands(20-30 minutes)

Saturday-Sunday
Throwing occasionally
(I am currently talking to someone about going to a gym, butb no specific times have been discussed)

Spring

Monday-Friday
5:30am Reps(20 minutes) or Resitance Bands (20 minutes)
5:30-8:30- Baseball Practice

Saturday
5:30am- Baserunning Drills(30 minutes)
6:15am-Reps or resitance bands (10-15 minutes)
1:00- Pitching Lesson w/ Ryan Falcon(1 hour)
7:00- Pitching Drills

Summer

Summer is not ususally planned out, I:

Occasionally Throw
Ocassionally do about 1 hour of swimming exercises
Occasionally run

Please give me some feedback on what I can add or change about it

Why is your workout only running? You should you were trying to gain weight so this is the antithesis of that goal.

If your trying to gain weight you need to be lifting weights, and stop long distance running. Try to work out your legs, upper body, core, and forearms.

[quote=“Austin#34”]AccelerateGuy: In an earlier thread my coaches want me pitching in the mid 70’s to low 80’s next year, and a few people said that I needed to gain weight because I am so tall and skinny. I do run Cross-Country and I am ranked in the top 100 in the state and was on Varsity my Freshman year. I do want to play college and pro baseball, but it is hard to give up Cross country sence I am so good at it.
[/quote]

Austin#34

I admire your desire to participate in multiple sports (we train many athletes who do this) and if its something you REALLY want to do I am not going to discourage that…

However, to be honest, you have a pretty big challenge ahead of you with combining these two particular sports considering the energy system development differences…

At least consider this: you need to work a more serious weight training program year-round in your plan. It can be modified over the course of the year but you need to lift. Period.

Cannot tell from you post what you are doing now but might be able to suggest some things with more detailed info regarding the weight training.

Will look forward to your response.

A few things:

First off, I enjoy running alot, and I feel like I’m making helping me with pitching difficult for a lot of people (mostly LankyLefty) becasue of my intrest in long distance running. I am still trying to modify my training program to have a decent amount of running.

Also I am wondering if I should run Cross-Country one more year whem I am 100% sure that I have the potiental to play college ball. As I said, it is a VERY hard decision because I am very good at XC and enjoy the stress a long run in the wood relives.

Thridly, I was looking around and found hand weight that you run with and a vest of weights (if you know what I’m talking about) that people run with, would it be benificial to run with those?

Fourthly, I want to gain muscle mass, and I would love to be a better pitcher, but I am having trouble finding what to do (besides weight lifting) to gain muscle mass, any advice for that?

Finally, I agian apologize if I am making this hard for anyone to help me because of my love for both baseball, and long distance running.

[quote=“AccelerateGuy”][quote=“Austin#34”]AccelerateGuy: In an earlier thread my coaches want me pitching in the mid 70’s to low 80’s next year, and a few people said that I needed to gain weight because I am so tall and skinny. I do run Cross-Country and I am ranked in the top 100 in the state and was on Varsity my Freshman year. I do want to play college and pro baseball, but it is hard to give up Cross country sence I am so good at it.
[/quote]

Austin#34

I admire your desire to participate in multiple sports (we train many athletes who do this) and if its something you REALLY want to do I am not going to discourage that…

However, to be honest, you have a pretty big challenge ahead of you with combining these two particular sports considering the energy system development differences…

At least consider this: you need to work a more serious weight training program year-round in your plan. It can be modified over the course of the year but you need to lift. Period.

Cannot tell from you post what you are doing now but might be able to suggest some things with more detailed info regarding the weight training.

Will look forward to your response.[/quote]

A couple questions,

Those people you have trained to play mutliple sports

Did they eventually have to stop playing those sports?
And if they did, around what year in High school?

And basically here is what I do now with weights

-Reps w/ dumbells (Multiple different reps for Shoulders and Biceps)
-I am getting new resitance bands that have to be nailed to the wall and I work out my Shoulers and Biceps
-I am talking to a former D1 college baseball player about working out with him during the Fall and Winter

A couple more questions( I am thinking these as I write)

-I know running helps w/ Cardio, and endurance, does it also help with leg muscles, would running wityh one of these vests of weights help strengthen leg muscles (my legs are pretty big already, thats actually where all my muscle basically is)

-I am having trouble finding other ways to work out, I don’t have a lot of money to get all this exercise equipment, so what can I do to condition myself without the fancy equipment?

You are 5’9" 140 lbs. The best workout you can do is in the kitchen.

[quote]Those people you have trained to play mutliple sports
Did they eventually have to stop playing those sports?
And if they did, around what year in High school?[/quote]

Generally speaking, most kids (in our experience) after their freshman or sophomore year will start to gravitate toward the sport they are good at, enjoy the most, or gives them the best chance for scholarship (hopefully all three of those reasons)

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of distance running for baseball (like many of the respected coaches on this board)… and definitely not a fan of running with the vest on as this leads to even more pounding on your joints.
We do use weight vests extensively but only in sprints and other high intensity metabolic training movements: sled pushes/pulls, etc.

Lack of funds is always a challenge for young guys… here’s the deal: somehow/some way you need to get yourself into a weight room. You already mentioned training with a former D1 player. That would be a good start. What about your high school gym? Any access? A cheap local gym? Maybe you can do some kind of work for them in exchange for a membership?

If you are serious about becoming a professional baseball player or getting into a good school you will do whatever it takes to get to the next level even if it means getting creative…

To piggyback on Kyle’s comment above: if I were you all I would focus on (in addition to your playing skills) is lifting and eating (alot!). Get bigger and get stronger! Hope this helps…

You said you wanted to know if this was a good workout for baseball pitchers who are trying to gain weight. Peoples responses don’t take into consideration you love for cross country.

Creative, hmm… I remember an e-mail I got from Eric Cressey, he suggested that during comercial breaks when I’m watching TV do some sort of exercise (Push-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc.)

Would that seem like a good idea?

Also, on my personal pitching log I LankyLefty mentioned something about gaining weight. I have an extremly high metabalisim, and even when I don’t run I still don’t gain weight, an I eat alot. I actually work at a fitness center during the summer but even with memebership rates it might still be expensive. But I’ll have to talk to the D1 pitcher.

[quote=“Austin#34”]Creative, hmm… I remember an e-mail I got from Eric Cressey, he suggested that during comercial breaks when I’m watching TV do some sort of exercise (Push-ups, sit-ups, squats, etc.)

Would that seem like a good idea?

Also, on my personal pitching log I LankyLefty mentioned something about gaining weight. I have an extremly high metabalisim, and even when I don’t run I still don’t gain weight, an I eat alot. I actually work at a fitness center during the summer but even with memebership rates it might still be expensive. But I’ll have to talk to the D1 pitcher.[/quote]

in response to why you can’t gain weight…one of my articles.

http://danblewett.com/2009/12/tracking-your-nutrition/

Thanks, that really explains and helps alot

I looked over all the posts on this thread andlooked at many different websites to see what would be a good workout plan. I made a few phone calls to so here is the 3rd draft of the workout plan

Fall

Monday-Friday
5:30 am- Reps with dumbells(15-20 minutes)*
4:00 Cross Counrty Practice (Still contreversal of whether I’ll stop or not)
7:00- Pitching and Feilding Drills (10-20 minutes)

Saturday
6:00 am- Resistance Bands and/or Baserunning Drills(20-60 minutes)
1:00- Pitching lesson w/ Ryan Falcon

Sunday
Gym Workout (Weight lifting)

I also play in a Fall Baseball League

*Working on different muscles each day

Winter

Monday-Friday
5:30a.m- Reps(Monday, Wed, Fri for 20-25 minutes), or 20 minute run(Tues and Thurs)
6:00- Resistance Bands(20-30 minutes)

Saturday
Gym Workout(Weight Lifting) or Indoor batting practice

Sunday
Break Day

Spring

Monday-Friday
5:30am Reps(20 minutes) or Resitance Bands (20 minutes)
5:30-8:30- Baseball Practice

Saturday
5:30am- Baserunning Drills(30 minutes)
6:15am-Reps or resitance bands (10-15 minutes)
1:00- Pitching Lesson w/ Ryan Falcon(1 hour)
7:00- Pitching Drills

Sunday
Break Day

Summer

Summer is not ususally planned out, I:

Occasionally Throw
Ocassionally do about 1 hour of swimming exercises
I do play other sports, but for the sake of getting out and doing something(I work at a tenis camp so I play tenis for “giggles” every now and then.)

I am also looking for a Gym to workout at every Tuesday and Thursday in the early and late fall, winter, early summer, and late summer.

Does this look good?

I am also going to start doing exercises on commercial breaks when I watch TV.

Please give me your feedbeack on this, thanks.

You need to lift more then once a week.

I havent really gone into detail with this guy who is working out iwth me and havent really looked extensivly for gyms anywhere either, and I also have to take into consideration that I work 4 hours Monday-Friday after school.