Is long distance running bad for pitchers?

I used to do it occasionally and enjoyed it. I them heard that it’s bad for pitchers and stopped. Doing some long distance running tests for my school reminded me how I enjoyed running. However, my priority is pitching. Is this okay to do? *
note* I guess I can rewrite this as: if I run will I not be affected at all, or will I have negative effects?

It serves no purpose for pitchers unless someone is out of shape badly.
Your body learns to perform how it trains. Distance running is training your body to move slowly for long periods…doesnt have positive carry over to an activity (pitching) that is explosive and is about moving very quickly for a very short period of time.

I’ve always thought that getting a mix of distance and sprints only helps athletes. While the distance running may not precisely help for pitching, it can be beneficial as part of a total conditioning regimen. I’ve found that distance running helps clear my head and puts me in a positive mindset. It may not add velocity to your fastball, but having a clear head, being positive, and focused has benefit for pitching.

It’s sort of like tee work for hitters. If there is nothing wrong with your swing, the tee work does nothing to make you a better hitter because the skills used in smacking a ball off a tee do not translate to hitting a pitched ball. Some people still hit from a tee as part of their routine for many of the same reasons–it won’t hurt you, and if you enjoy it, get some mental benefit from it, and can spare the time, go for it.

Thanks. I’ve heard it causes a decrease in lower body strength. Your thoughts?

The cardio vascular benefits of distance running a many fold and documented. As far as it teaching your body to move slowly is ridiculous statement, with no evidence to support. it. I can run 26 miles slow, or I can kick your butt at a 60 yard dash and im 45. BTW i incorporate speed work into my distance running including doing max farleks covering both the 1/4 mile and the 1/2 mile in 1.40 seconds and 3:30 respectively. So stop it with the “training your body to move slowly bull”. There is absolutely no evidence to support the statements here that you should not run distance and pitch. The better shape you are in, and the more stamina you can produce, the better overall athlete you will be. See you at the next 10K

conditioning has its place in any sport and long distance running is great. but you are training the slow twitch muscle fibers. muscles that can help you endure long stretches of strenuous activity. you must also run sprints to train your body for short, high intensity activities. as a pitcher I think we need a combo of both but you must find the right time for each. in the 30 minutes following a game or bullpen I like to run a couple poles to flush my body of lactic acid and increase my core body temp to relax all the tight muscles in my shoulder. then the next day I would go for a long distance run and heavy lift my legs. everyday after practice though, running about 10, 90 foot sprints at max effort and running through some agility ladders and hurdle jumps will condition you more specifically for quick, high intensity situations of a baseball game.

hope this helps:)

Right,
You are training for distance and speed, which is great. Most guys don’t do that. They just jog for distance. There is obviously some general benefit, but, it is not maximizing training time.
You say you train for distance and for speed, running sprints and 1/4 and 1/2 mile distances and run marathons. Those are two different activities. Some jogging for conditioning is fine, but, to run a lot at distance just takes too much training time.
If a guy wants to run a couple of miles once a week or so I have no problem with that. Running 8 or 10 miles a couple times a week is just a big waste of training time for guys who need to be explosive.
Some jogging, sprints, rowing, heavy bag work, swimming (gasp)…all these things can be used to get some conditioning work in.
I have also run a couple of marathons (although not well, I am not much of a runner) and you know training for distance and training for a 1/4 mile are approached in totally different ways. There is a reason.

Very well said. If all you do is run mile after mile after mile, it won’t benefit you. Obviously. But a mix is great advice.

There have been studied it removes hip mobility. It also teaches slow twitch muscle fibers instead of fast twitch.