Is it worth it?

I have a question for all you guys on here.

I’m a currently a senior. I have all but committed to playing at the University of Mount Union, which is a division 3 school. I thought I have pretty much set up my plans for next year, but I’m having second doubts about them.

I have contacted many other schools through recruiting questionnaires and I have emailed the University of Akron a couple of times. But as of now they haven’t shown any interest in me.

I have already been accepted to Mount Union and am all but set up to go there in the fall.

At this point, with one season of high school and travel left. Is it worth it to contact other schools and seek interest at a higher level?

Should I just try and improve myself as much as I can before I go to Mount?

I’m really leaning towards going there because it’s a great school and it has my major. It isn’t too far from home but far enough at the time.

Are there any schools in the state of Ohio that you would suggest that i contact?

My current idea for my course of action is to continue to try and improve my pitching and overall baseball ability as much as I possibly can. And then go to Mount Union and hopefully play a lot there. After i graduate from there, see if I’m throwing fast enough to go to a pro tryout and see what happens from there.

Let me know what you guys think! Thanks!

P.S. I’m really tired so I may have a quarter million typos. if something is extremely badly butchered, I will gladly fix it. Thanks in advance!

If you want to go to Akron, why not go there? Did I miss something?

Your ability needs to be at a certain level regardless of what your competition is.

I want to play baseball at the college level. I can do that at Mount Union for sure.

As of now, if I went to Akron I would have to try and walk on.

It’s never too late I signed relatively late to the first school I went to, I attended a PG Unsigned seniors showcase AFTER my senior year of HS and didn’t sign with that first school till October. I attended my first semester in January and the rest was history.

Being a pitcher is great because Colleges are always looking for arms.

Schools in Ohio;

Urbana University
Sinclair Community College
Tiffin
Findlay
Xavier
Rio Grande
Baldwin Wallace
Cuyagoha Community College
Walsh
Malone
Cedarville
Mt. Vernon
Shawnee State
Ohio Wesleyan
University of Miami

There’s even more.

Have you talked to the Coaches at Mount Union, do they know your going there? Have you talked to them about where you fit in there plan for the program? Do you feel comfortable with their program that you feel that you’ll achieve your goals there?

Have you checked the teams Mount Union has to face? If they face any big name colleges and you pitch great against them, you could possibly transfer to a D2 or even D1 College the next year. That is, if you want to go somewhere else. I’d imagine your chances of making it to Akron would be much after that than it would be now.

I can’t give you any information about Colleges in Ohio because I live in the south but I thought I’d share that because my College faces Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, etc and I go to a D3 College. Unfortunately I didn’t try out because I hurt my arm but I definitely plan on trying out next year.

Just remember too once you attend classes your eligibility clock starts ticking so if you go to Mount U and are unhappy or don’t play well and do decide to transfer depending where you transfer you might have to sit out a whole year, or some of your credits might not carry over, in which case you’ve wasted time and a big chunk of money as well.

It all comes down to the right fit for you academically and baseball wise. If your having second chances do some more looking and talk to other programs and see how you feel after talking to them and comparing to what you’ve been told or promised by the Coaches at Mount U, and remember once you’re on campus promises can change, it happens more then people think.

I mean -

I was under the impression you want to go to Akron, much more than any other.

If you are not getting assistance or persuasion to go somewhere other than Akron…Then go to Akron.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]Just remember too once you attend classes your eligibility clock starts ticking so if you go to Mount U and are unhappy or don’t play well and do decide to transfer depending where you transfer you might have to sit out a whole year, or some of your credits might not carry over, in which case you’ve wasted time and a big chunk of money as well.

It all comes down to the right fit for you academically and baseball wise. If your having second chances do some more looking and talk to other programs and see how you feel after talking to them and comparing to what you’ve been told or promised by the Coaches at Mount U, and remember once you’re on campus promises can change, it happens more then people think.[/quote]

About your first paragraph, yeah but I think you don’t have to sit a year if you didn’t play for a D1 or D2 College and it’s your first time transferring. So that’s why I brought it up. I didn’t want to go to the College I am at right now so I kept the transferring idea in the back of my head. I later learned that my parents didn’t want me to go to a bigger College solely on the fact that all the Colleges except the one I go to are like 2+ hours away.

I don’t want to jack this thread but why did you go to that College if you didn’t want to go there?

I think I will keep the transferring idea in mind.

I have talked with all the coaches. Or nearly all of them. I have talked with the head coach, hitting, and pitching coach. They know of my intention of going there. I have seen them play in the fall in an inter squad game and their top pitcher threw in the mid 80’s. So I have the ability to be one of the top pitchers in there program right away.

I think transferring will be my best bet to get to a higher level school. I think I year at the college level working on my mechanics will help me get to where I want to be, if I can’t get there during the summer.

I don’t want to start as late as October, But if I gained interest sometime in the summer then I would be open to going to a better school.

I would go to Akron, but that would require me walking on and at very best I would be backup to the backups. I want to play.

Thanks for all your responses!

Two other schools besides Mount Union have showed interest in me as a player.

Tiffin and Groove City( in PA)

Although Tiffin is a D-2 school, that don’t have my degree and don’t have a good education degree programs. They only have two degrees in education and they are through another college.

Groove City also doesn’t have my degree, is D-3, and is a couple of hours away.

Mount Union is really the only school that has everything and has shown an interest.

Just in case any of your are wondering, I plan on getting a degree in special education. I want to teach mild to moderate and teach at the high school level, so that I can coach baseball.

thanks again for your feedback!

I like the transferring idea. How does one go about that when they at one school already?

Because, like I said, all the other Colleges were quite far away. Parents didn’t want me living in dorms either. I don’t want to not go to College.

[quote=“jimster”]
I like the transferring idea. How does one go about that when they at one school already?[/quote]

I’m not sure, you could go to the office and ask for a transfer application.

No matter where you go, if you are good enough, a scout will find you. I can promise you that.

There aren’t any D-III pitchers throwing 95 with 15 strikeouts per game that aren’t being found.

School is not about the quality of the baseball program.

Well I’m not at the school yet. haha. I’m still a senior.

I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get there and if it happens. Kyleb is right though.

I think my previous goal to try and become the best pitcher as I can when I’m at Mount Union.

The thing that I think limits a lot of smaller school pitchers is that they become complacent. Like the kid at Mount right now that throws in the mid 80’s

I think I will be able to improve to my maximum potential even if I go to a smaller school because until I’m throwing 90+, there’s always something that I can do better.

I think going to a d-3 school will give me more freedom to do more of my own workouts, but mostly before the falls starts.

Yes, that last part is definitely true. There’s a lot of trainwreck D-I schools out there (trust me, I have kids in them) and JUCOs.

Not every place is like Vanderbilt where Derek Johnson (pitching coach) is a genius and has actually researched stuff like PITCHf/x, SETPRO, Marshall’s stuff, ASMI’s lab, etc. Most of them have former pros or college guys as the coaches who know almost nothing about training or coaching the mechanics of throwing the ball.

We have a shot putter who will be nationally competitive this year at our facility. He’s had interest and offers from big SEC schools and Pac-12 schools, but his uncle (a very well-known coach) and I are asking him to consider alternatives where he’ll have more freedom over how he trains - and ultimately more freedom over his life.

Just something to think about.

Unless there are extenuating circumstances you will have to sit a year if you transfer “upwards” or within NCAA divisions. Meaning D3 to D2, or D3 to D3 (unless you go the JUCO route between transferring, but even then you have to leave the JUCO with a degree or “working towards a degree” before you can play).

But with that said, why would you EVER go to a school with the thought of transferring just in case it doesn’t work out (you also have to have the school release you BEFORE you can even talk to another school)?

My advice is to go where you are wanted and have the best chance at playing. If your not sure…then WAIT before you sign.

Contact the schools you are interested in. Get in front of them so they can see you play, then you will have a better idea of where you stand.

And don’t just assume a D3 school or JUCO, or any other college level program is a cakewalk. There is a HUGE difference between HS & college ball. Just as there is between college & pro ball.

I didn’t assume it was a cakewalk.

I never assume anything is going to be given to me. I watched them play and I have watched Akron/Kent State play.

Mount Union’s level is no where near that level.

In my dad’s words, Mount Union is slightly above travel ball.

I’m not trying to knock Mount Union, but I have a much better chance of getting immediate playing time because my skill level is much closer to their’s right now. And if I improve during the spring/summer/and during the workouts there, then I will have a even better chance of playing a lot.

You have to decide what you want to get out of college baseball. Is it a chance to play or a chance to go pro? Playing time will be easier to find at the D3 level, but if you improve to 90+ with control and a good off-speed pitch, you will find playing time anywhere.
One thing to consider is many D3’s don’t have near the same training facilities as D1’s, so maximizing yourself is harder at D3’s (although not impossible).

Sounds to me you’re either not giving yourself enough credit for your ability or the other side of the equation is you’re not ready to move onto the College level.

Never go to a school with the thought in your mind that you can always transfer. 101’s advice is fantastic.

If you’re seriously thinking about transfering then you might as well go the JUCO route were you’re only there for 2 years and you’re getting a scholly to pay for you’re schooling. And going JUCO means its only Freshman and Sophmores and you get plenty of playing time if you’re good enough. And you won’t have to sit a year when you transfer, plus if you happen to get to the point where scouts notice you and are getting serious they can draft you outta the JUCO rather then having to wait 3 years to get drafted. A lot can change within that year. I’ve seen it happen kid gets drafted outta HS goes to a 4 year school and now isn’t even getting sniffed at.

If Baseball is your life there’s tons of these sorts of factors that have to go into your decision of where you go to school. If Baseball is just something that you want to do while at school while you’re getting your degree then why not get a scholly to pay for your education???

Just some thoughts…

I’m getting a 8000 a year scholarship for Mount Union.

I’m not going to look to transfer, but I’m going to leave that option open.

I don’t want to go there and look to transfer and I also don’t want to go a JUCO school. I want a good education and a degree from a good school.

I’m basically just saying if I go to Mount and Akron calls me and is like hey want to come play here, we’ll give you a scholarship. Then I would consider it, but I will most likely attend Mount for my entire 4 years.

Well actually less than 4. I got some college credit from my classes this year.