Is it time to call it quits?

As much as I love playing, and this being my last year of legion ball anyways I’m feeling like it may be time already to just be done.

Since this new coaching staff has taken over the team has actually gotten better but none of it has to do with the coaching, it’s that more people are playing now that hadn’t played in years past.

This coaching staff is not bringing this team to its full potential and in fact since te start of the year I think we’ve gotten worse. Here’s why.

After starting 4-0 in division play we lost one game of a DH to the worst team in our division by 14 runs. The reason being is that the team we played has improved since their coaches have principle and make their players practice.

Our team has digressed, the athletic kids never show to practice but are still given all the time on the field as they proceed to show their lack of baseball ability and knowledge. Stupid baserunning mistakes, backwards Ks, errors in the field and tons of misalignment issues cost us outs and runs every game. While the players who are on the bench (including myself half of the time) know what they are doing, actually know how to lay a bunt down, etc. are stuck pulling their hair out knowing they can do a better job.

If I were sitting simply because coach values running speed over knowledge of the game I would be upset but not as upset as I am over the fact that these guys only show up to games if it’s convenient for them and are never at practice.

Not to mention the coach keeping stats steals stats from me intentionally and pads others stats intentionally. A kid who had a 5 game stretch without even putting the ball in play is somehow hitting .500 while I have 3 doubles and 6 rbis missing from my stat sheet and are below .300

I hit it and it’s an error even though it hit the fence, a teammate hits it right through the shortstops legs and it’s a hit. My era is inflated because after doing the math he does my era for 9 innings and everyone else for 7 innings.

When I start at 1st or 3rd base I’m usually batting 8th or 9th in spite of being one of the most experienced hitters on the team. It’s turned into a favorites game, the only 3 people who are regularly at practice get benched while everyone who’s never there plays.

Head coach preaches commitment and never makes it to his own “mandatory” practices.

They intentionally try to keep me from suceeding sometimes. We had a scrimmage with a younger team, at first coach says stats count for that game, he sticks me on the mound, I pitch a perfect 5 (6 inning game) and all of the sudden my own teammates are sent to the other team to try and break it up (mind you it left me 2 fielders short as well). Then I go 3-3 as well and stats don’t count after all.

It just feels like I’m being set up to fail and I’m about ready to just call it quits, any opinions?

Even playing on a team that seems to be digressing, you should still play. Be a leader on and off the field. Bring the team together some time and tell them what is on your mind. Let them know that they are not only cheating themselves, but the whole team. Try to make an impact on some of the more talented, but not so devoted players. Anyone who takes it upon themself to be a leader can be one. Even a rookie player. If you see someone not working hard, or not hustling, get on their ass about it. Dont make a bg scene or anything, and dont draw attention. Just try to get through to the that they arent helping the team when they slack.

Let me tell you a quick story of why you should’nt quit…

My varsity team is terrible, the last time we went to the post-season was in 2006, and the past 3 yerars the teams record has been 3-21, 4-20, and 4-19.

My coaches, are complete idiots, now people could dis agree saying “ohh but there your coaches and they know everything–” Now I don’t agree with their methods of coaching, and I know there are alot better drills to do than what they’re doing. But that is no reason to give up. If you plan on doing anything in the future with baseball than you’ll need to work hard to go out a show yourself to colleges (if ou want to do that), and from reading about you, I don’t think you play left bench :wink:

So keep hanging in there, and if the coaches do something you disagree with, just suck it up and do it. Because in real life, you’ll meet people who you’ll think are the stupidest people in the world, maybe a boss, a co-worker, etc. But you’ll just have to…suck it up.

Good Luck
Have Fun
and Strike 'Em Out!

My opinion is this…
Ain’t no &*@#$% out there gonna keep me from doing or participating in the thing I love.
Just as there ain’t no hypocrite going to keep me from knowing God (Many people stay away from religion because of hypocrites you see…“oh look those christians they do “bad things””…so I won’t have a relationship with God… :shock: )…who wins there?
Pustulio old boy…you are a good man with a good heart. Why would you let someone stop you from playing baseball?
Look my friend…if the current situation is something you can’t take anymore…it’s understandable, you guys under that old coach had a special thing…you won’t ever get that “feeling” quite the same way. You have to put that in it’s place though and move on. You’ve graduated now so…the world is your oyster…How about you follow in your old coaches shoes…(as a suggestion which will help you discover that any current unpleasentness is only temporary in the scheme of things)
…you know what the love of the game and building a team around it means…baseball is never over, you may be distracted for a time but baseball is timeless…never take no as the last answer and believe, it will flat amaze you.
Stop feeling sorry for yourself and look to have fun…no one can stop you from having fun unless you let them…

Agree with JD 100%.

It’s not clear to if me you’re saying that your opportunities to play ball are dwindling but if they are then consider coaching. When I was young I couldn’t understand why someone would coach when they could play instead. But I was naive. I can honestly say that coaching young kids - teaching them the game as well as life lessons in a positive environment - can be very rewarding. I have no doubt you would set a good example for young kids to look up to.

One Saturday morning I was watching Ed Lopat conduct a workshop for a bunch of high school pitchers—he would do this from time to time—and I noticed that he was spending a good deal of time with one kid who seemed to be having some serious issues with his pitching. This kid, a high-school junior, had a coach best described as “a child’s garden of misinformation” who had been feeding him all the wrong stuff; as a result the kid was being forced to throw over the top wnen that was not his natural delivery, he didn’t even know where his release point was, he was not being allowed to throw any breaking stuff, blah blah blah, and he was seriously considering giving up on the game. Lopat went right after that. He got the kid into a relaxed state and set him straight on a number of things, and at one point he made a sudden motion with his hand as if squashing a bug and said “And this is what you do with a mosquito.” I had to chuckle at that as I envisioned a know-nothing “coach” being squashed like a mosquito.
Lopat then told me that he was thinking about writing a book called “How Not To Coach”! I wish he had; there are so many books about coaching but not one that addresses how not to do it. Think about that a minute and ask yourself that question: how would you go about writing a book, or :baseballpitcher: conducting a seminar or a workshop, about how not to coach?— because you’ve had to live with a perfect example. You say that this is your last season of legion ball—all right, next time you’re allowed to pitch a game, get out there and knuckleball the batters to kingdom come and back, and if the coaches don’t like it, they can call you “k’nocknissel” (a Yiddish term meaning “nutcracker”. And you can tell them where they can go, and leave them behind and get with a good team with a good work ethic and a manager who knows his elbow from third base. Maybe even a semipro team—there are lots of good ones around. BUT DON’T GIVE UP!

Listen just because you dont play on a varsity team and theres favorites doesnt mean anything. I got 2 friends including my own brother who havent played a varisty game in there lifes do to favoritism. They just signed to play baseball at a D2 school all three of them. Nobody can tell you what your potential is, only you can can determine what you want to do and how you can go ! My coach always tell me pick your future before it picks you…

^ You misunderstood what was being said. It’s legion ball, only one team, I usually play but with the new coaching staff I do sit sometimes in fact getting pulled for a pinch runner too early cost us a conference game yesterday as the other 1B proceeded to make 3 errors in an inning, sometimes I don’t play but it’s mostly the fact that they are turning the program in the wrong direction by playing people that never come to practice over people that are always there (occassionally it’s me but that’s not always the case).

Just to give you an idea of the favoritism last year under our old coach I was either the 2nd or 3rd hitter in the lineup without question and now I bat 9th every game.

Anyways though, thanks to everyone for your comments I really appreciate the input. I’m going to tough the year out, we only have about a month left and I’m still having fun when I’m playing and I’ve got club baseball ahead of me at U. of Wyoming.

Good for you.
At least you will be able to go on in your life
knowing that you gave the best effort that you could
and didn’t give up.

Pustulio, you said something about batting ninth every game, and this reminded me of a story Ed Lopat told me once. He shared with me an incident from his private life which illustrates the situation to a T. One day his son came home from school angry and frustrated, and when asked what the matter was he said that they had had an intramural game that morning. THe teacher had made up the llineups, and the first batter in those lineups BATTED FIRST EVERY INNING. And Johnny was batting seventh. Yup, you guessed it, he never got to bat.
Another example of how not to coach.
So tough out that last month of legion ball and look forward to the University of Wyoming . 8)