Is it the jitters?

My son threw 2 innings last night and I thought did pretty good. The problem I see is that he throws at least 10 MPH slower in a game situation than he does practicing. He is not afraid of hitting a batter or anything but he looks to me like he is short arming. Would you guys think it is nerves causing this. He has pitched very little and is a sophomore. His accuracy is there just not his speed. What advice could I give him before a game other than telling him to relax a little??

In a game scenario as appose to a practice session, your son is probably
focused more – thus, trying to throw strikes.

That’s a good thing.

As he gets a little older, matched with experience, his coaching will
involve bearing down - but still retain the strike as an important part
of his overall pitch.

Excellent observation.

Coach B.

Let him get the experience he needs, also he’s a sophomore, any advice should be coming from his HS coaches now. Allow others to do the coaching, a good HS coach would prefer a parent supporter vs a parent coach especially as he gets into the Varsity level. Allowing others to do the coaching also get through way quicker than from Dad…just try it and enjoy supporting whatever your kid does, you did your job, you set him up to make the team…and he did it.

buwhite I agree completely that his coaches should be coaching him the cold hard facts are that they are not. Basketball coach is also baseball coach and he does not like it. You discussed arm trouble with me a few days ago. I made them give him a week off and he threw 2 innings with no pain at all. The next day I got to the field 45 minutes early and had to help get the field ready. When it was done the kids had 12 minutes to change and warm up and my son did not get to play due to arm pain from what I would believe to be lack of stretching. He had no pain until after trying to throw and warm up after stretching for maybe 3 minutes. I am very unsatisfied with how the coaches are handling things. They started the same kid yesterday as the day before because another pitcher was late for practice. I heard him tell them he was hurting and could not throw and they made him anyway. After he walked the first 5 they pulled him but I bet he is hurting today. They have no baseball sense at all. For example one out runner on third and a fly to the outfield they send him halfway instead of tagging up. I have seen this at least aa dozen times. And for the record I did try to explain to the coaches not warming up is wrong and told my son in front of them if they were not capable of making everyone do it then he was to do it by himself from here on out.

cellman,

It appears that you’re basing your judgment on a perception rather than a reality, and then making giant leaps and assumptions from it. Do yourself a favor. If you really believe your perceptions are correct, get a gun and prove it, trying very hard to not let him know what you’re doing.

I suspect you’ll find him throwing with a lower velocity in games, but that’s not unusual at all. But I seriously doubt you’re gonna see a 10MPH differential on the same pitch. I.e, 70mph 4 seamer in practice and 60MPH 4 seamer in games. That’s a huge difference, and one that would likely screw up his mechanics.

Bottom line is, he’s very young and very inexperienced. If you’re truly worried about him being put in harm’s way, take him off the team. There’s no shame in wanting to protect your family, and in fact it’s the most important job a parent has.

cellman,

Somehow, it seems to me that your second post should have been your
first post. I’ve read and re-read your first posting and I came away with
the impression that your boy was just young, maybe a little nervous during
game time – hence your concern with his performance. Ok – makes sense.
In addition, a lot of dads have questions that you stated in your first posting,
and it’s only natural to wonder. I sincerely wish you the best with your boy
and your experiences with him and the game as he grows older.

As far as addressing the issues stated in your second posting – please read
Scorekeepers remarks carefully. Those are comments based on solid reasoning,
he’s giving you solid advice that’s both practical and reasonable,
for the sake of your son. For the sake of your son.

I do not coach youth baseball, nor am I involved in the amateur game at all. I do
recognized reasonable advice when I see it. Scorekeeper has done all the work in
that regard for you. You couldn’t be in better hands.

Coach B.

My first post was a sincere question. I think he gets nervous and his mechanics do change in a game situation, he appears to short arm a bit. My second post is due to explaining the importance of stretching and getting loose and then they are giving 12 minutes to change clothes and get ready to play. I am concerned that the coach will end up ruining his arm if I can not get this through to him and make him understand. Making a kid throw a full game one day and making him throw again the next with the kid telling him he is hurt just further proves it to me. (was not my son) He did have my son throw live arm one practice with him telling him he was hurting. I guess the advice I need is how to talk to the coach without completely making him mad and taking it out on my son.

At 3:15 the other team was stretching and throwing already. Our team was raking and spraying the field and putting down foul lines. At 3:48 the coach told them they had 12 minutes to change and get ready. The game started at 4:00. He made a kid pitch that I personally heard tell the coach that he was hurting too bad. Am I wrong to be bothered by this???

No one’s doubting your sincerity. Heck, those of us who’ve had children go through it, have all had much the same experience at one time or another.

Look in the parent’s handout, and find out how to go about scheduling an appointment with the coach. Even if he’s a new coach, you won’t be the 1st parent he’s had to talk to, and by using his instructions for making an appointment, you’ll be sending the message that you’re a reasonable person.

When you meet, be as cordial as possible. Remember, he puts his drawers on one leg at a time, just like you do, and unless he’s a total fool, he’s not any more comfortable than you are. No raising your voice, and no accusations! Just tell him your concerns, and listen to his explanations. When the meeting’s over, think about what went on, discuss it with the wife or a friend, make a decision, discuss that decision with your son, and between you come up with a plan of action.

Its just part of growing up for him, and another decision making process for you, not life and death.

Good luck!