Is fast knee swing necessary for pitching and how to aim?

I just started on Baseball Pitching . And , my knee swing is slow , so i would like to ask all of you if fast knee swing is necessary while pitching , if needed , how do i increase the speed of my knee swing ?
And , how do i aim better , for pitching . I mean sometimes or most of the time , the pitch that i throw , is very higher than the target i set for . So , how do i aim better for pitching , help please .
Thanks (:

First of all, welcome to the Fellowship of the Bump.
Now. A knee swing is not always desirable; in fact it can throw a pitcher’s control way off. This is what happened to the Yankees’ A.J. Burnett last year; his knee was swinging all over the place, and so were the resultant holes all over the front of the mound, and he was wild. What pitching coach Larry Rothschild did was change this aspect of Burnett’s delivery—instead of a karate kick, as he called it, he just lifted his knee, so that he was pitching directly to the plate all the time, whether from the full windup or the stretch. It has made a tremendous difference for Burnett, and you might want to try this. It can only help.
Second of all, you want to increase your velocity. Let me tell you about something I used to do in my playing days, beginning from the time when I was a little snip just getting into pitching. I would get a catcher, and we would go to a playing field that wasn’t being used at the time, and I would take the mound while he set up behind the plate with a mitt and a mask. We would play a little game we called “ball and strike”, the purpose of which was to sharpen my control. The catcher would position his mitt in various places—high, low, inside, outside, every which way but standing on his head! :lol: , and I would concentrate on getting the ball smack-dab into the pocket of the mitt. I would throw all my stuff at various speeds, including with the crossfire (I was an incurable sidearmer), and what a sweet satisfaction I would get whenever I heard that resounding “thwack” as the ball hit the pocket. (By the way, you should throw through the mitt rather than just at it.) I was by no means a fireballer, but I could and did increase my velocity to some extent—perhaps it will be greater for you.
And, as you get more comfortable and more proficient at this, you should have someone stand in the batter’s box on either side so you can zero in on the strike zone. Also—check your release point. If you release the ball too soon the pitch will likely come in there low, whereas if you let it go too late the pitch will come in there high. You might have an experienced pitcher, maybe even a pro, check you out on this, and if need be you can make some adjustment so you don’t throw over the catcher’s head all the time!
Any more questions, I—and a lot of other knowledgeable folks on this website—will be glad to help in any way we can. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

Thanks for the tips there , but the problem is , im an singaporean so there isnt anyone who plays baseball there … :frowning:
But thanks though , i guess i will jus practice my pitching using paper balls at home , and tennis balls outside . (:
And for the knee swinging part , lifting my knee up to the mid point of my body , instead of swinging it is much better . Thanks ! (;
And , what grips should i learn to use , since i am a begginer , should i jus throw it or do tricks like curveball or fastball ?
Thanks anyways (:

Ouch! No one plays baseball in Singapore? Someone should organize a team or two.
About grips: The fast ball and the curve are not trick pitches—they are basic to any pitcher’s repertoire. There is a section on this website called PITCHING GRIPS which you might try to access, and it will show you the grips for a lot of different pitches. And start with the fast ball, because that’s what almost everyone (except finesse pitchers like me) will use. You could ask Steven Ellis, who runs this site, to E-mail you a copy of this, and you can begin there. Contact him at this E-mail address:
info@the completepitcher.com
—and tell him what you’re looking for.
And if you have even so much as a brick wall, you can mark off a strike zone, get a bucket of baseball and practice throwing to that wall from a distance of 60 feet, 6 inches. That’s a start. Keep me posted. :slight_smile:

Oh . ok , thanks for the tips (:
But , in school today during p.e , i went on to workout myself . But the problem is , this is how i pitch ,
I stand with my two feet together on the right side ( as i was right hander )
then i moved my left leg ( i think is the rocker step leg ) behind side to side but behind my right foot . And , my right foot moved forward and my front shoulder was facing the target . Then i moved my both hands and elbow ( pointing the target ) and my hand with the ball above my back shoulder , then i just raised up my right knee to the mid point of my body , then i land on my right foot which was initially raised to the mid point of my body , i land on my toes then my heel , and i throw the ball while my left foot is coming up . And , after the ball bounced back from the wall then i put my left foot down .
Is my pitching style correct ?
Or , could you tell me how to pitch , or how others professional baseball pitchers pitch ?

Hold on there! What are you doing, practicing twisting yourself into an animated pretzel? You’re righthanded, and yet you’re doing some things the way a southpaw will do them, and the end result is nothing happens. Okay, time for Lesson One. The windup.
Or perhaps you might find it more comfortable to pitch from the stretch. A lot of major league pitchers are doing that nowadays. So let’s start with that. :slight_smile: All right. You stand on the mound, with your pivot foot—that’s your right foot—on or just in front of and touching the rubber. Ne4xt, you bring both hands, the glove hand and the one with the ball, up over your head—or maybe just chest-high—and then down to your belly-button. Belt-high. Now, this is important—be sure you stay bolt upright, don’t tilt your head or anything like that because you need to keep focused on the target—home plate. Now, as you lift your LEFT leg, take the hand with the ball out of the glove and swing the arm backwards, then stride forward with that same left leg and plant it firmly, square to the plate. Whip that throwing arm around, making sure that it and the glove are in balance with each other, and throw the darn ball. Your right leg should then swing around and come to rest square to the plate as you follow through. And that, basically, is how you would throw from the stretch.
If it looks like a recipe for baking a cake, in a sense it is. Only what you’re baking is a good basic windup and delivery. What I want you to do is practice that intensively and really get comfortable with it. Oh, I know, it takes time—most good things do—but it will be well worth it. And if you can find some videos of some major league pitchers doing this, get hold of them and study them. That can only help. Keep me informed. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

So , do you mean ,
if the mound is infront , i stand with my right foot together with my left foot ( side to side ) and my body , meaning my body with my chest facing the target … Then , i bring my hand , glove hand and ball hand up over my head and down to my belly button , focusing on that target using my head , i will raise my left knee and take the ball out of my glove , and i will swing my arm ( the arm that is holding the ball ) backwards and step forward with my left knee raised up initially and plant it firmly on the ground , and once my throwing hand are the same length as my glove hand , i will throw the ball , and right leg will swing backwards ( follow through ) and land on my right leg finally . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AWjsCQWadA

I know i sucks anyway ;(

No, it doesn’t suck. You’re getting the idea. I could see from the video, unclear as it is, that you’ve been working from the full windup, and it doesn’t look bad at all. What you need to do is, when you deliver the pitch, be sure to follow through and don’t stop your motion short, otherwise your pitches will be consistently high—and you don’t want that, now do you? So just keep at it—and if you could see it your way to get hold of someone who can catch for you, you could get some feedback from him, and you could also work on getting the ball into the pocket of the catcher’s mitt. Anyhow, you’re on the right track—just keep working at it, and eventually you’ll have a smooth delivery you can call your own. Again—keep me posted. :slight_smile:

But my left leg appear to be behind , but from the videos i see in the mlb league pitchers for the right handed , their left leg appear infront ?

Right. I think you had the videotape turned around, or backwards, or whatever. If you’re a righthanded pitcher—and I’m assuming you are—it’s the left leg that comes up and then plants square to the plate, and your right leg follows suit as you deliver the pitch. Sorry about the mixup. 8)

So you mean , my chest shouldnt be facing the target , but my front shoulder should , then when i do my wind up meaning raising my left knee … From the front view , it appear like my left knee is behind my right leg , then i follow through , and throw ?
But , Carlos Zambrano is a right handed pitcher too , but if raising left knee , his left knee appears to be infront , but mine behind …
Im very confused @.@

Hiro, good to have you on this forum, I hope that you can get all the info you need to stay motivated on this site.

Anyway, looks like you are having a little problem understanding the movement of the windup, here is a video of my son throwing from the windup, the last pitch is from the stretch.

Thanks, buwhite, for the backup. This kid is indeed confused, which might be understandable because they don’t play baseball in Singapore! I wish I had a video camera so I could take a few pictures of how I used to wind up, but I don’t—so you can help me out here. Between the two of us we should get him up and throwing. :slight_smile:

@ Zita Carno -
Im really confused @.@
So if we throw from a front camera view point , should my front shoulder face the target ? And my left knee should be infront or behind ?
@ buwhite -
Seeing your son stretch pitch , im same confusion , because his left leg appears infront ?
Sorry if im making you all troublesome or annoying :frowning:
Im real confused @.@

Hiro, honestly you aren’t troublesome or annoying, as long as you are really trying to learn then questions are always good.

As you see from my son on the first pitch of the video,

1. he begins facing the target, with both feet pointing at home plate.

2. his rock step is extremely small but is an exchange of weight to his left foot

3. turning his right foot to be parallel with the rubber

4. placing his weight onto the right foot

5. lifting his left foot and at the same time turning his body of that his left shoulder is facing home and his body is facing 90 degrees to the right.

6. Step towards your target, which will be where your left shoulder is facing and throw similar to how you are right now.

My question is, once you have learned to throw, where will you use it? Is your plan to play somewhere or is this totally on desire to learn to play baseball?

…and yes, his left leg does end up in the front…

Im 13 years old going 14 now , and i plan to learn throwing , then practice more untill i can smoothly do it like your son . Then , maybe learn the rules of the games , and start finding coaches or any team or hobby for baseball in singapore (:
Is this correct ?[/youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVfL_f3CiyE

Exactly, Hiro. How else does one learn other than by asking questions? You’re on the right track, and remember, we’re here to answer them, to advise and help in whatever way we can. After all, one has to start somewhere. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: 8)

Yay ! Okay , i will work hard . Thanks

Good job, keep that up for a few days. Do you have a glove and a baseball?