Is cut on four seam a bad thing?

My four seam fastball has always have some cut to it and have been told by coaches that it needs to be straight. Is having some slight cut a bad thing or is it possible to learn to control it? In games, I have been able to get plenty of ground outs and swings on it but at the cost of control of it at times because it breaks away from the point on the plate I want to hit. I am not sure if I should be very concerned or just learn to live with it and work to use it to my advantage. I have a pic below of the grip to see if there is any possible reason behind it. Thanks

Short answer, if it’s not your intent to be throwing a cutter than yes, it’s a bad thing. Couple reasons for cutting 4seam. 1: coming around the ball with your hand. 2: pointer finger pressure and not pronating through middle finger 3. Holding ball slightly turned in hand so seams slightly diagonal. 4 hooking your wrist. Not having wrist in line with forearm at release.

Im starting to think that it might me holding it just slightly offset of the four seam grip. Plus some combination of mechanical stuff may be why.

You might try to focus on staying more on top of the ball with your grip at the release point. Made a big difference for me.

EK22,

We actually teach to throw the 4 seam cutter. why not? It only takes understanding of why a slightly forwards “axis presentation” works to create slight movement then all it takes to throw a Slider is a little more axis presentation and the best thing is they are both forearm pronated for health.

Coaches that do not understand these principles will always be stuck in their original thinking and never improve beyond that.