Is a slow wind up bad

well is it :?:

Dan Haren and Doug Davis on the Diamondbacks both have slow deliveries. In fact, they both pause at the balance point. But they are both very successful. On the other hand, many of the top pitchers (e.g. Randy Johnson, Nolan Ryan, etc.) start forward early (before peak of knee lift) and use faster tempo to build more momentum.

As you can see, there is no one way to do it. However, it is my opinion that a faster tempo is preferable when learning because it leads to better use of the body and it tends to fix timing problems. I teach a faster tempo.

The only way Doug Davis qualifies as being successful is that he made it to Majors. It would be a crime to compare him to someone who is actually a decent pitcher at the ML level.

Doesn’t he have cancer?

I believe he had some kind of lymphoma this season and recovered. All the more power to him, but that doesn’t mean he’s really good. I wouldn’t emulate his delivery either.

Davis had thyroid cancer and had his thyroid removed. Last I heard, he is considered cancer-free.

Being successful only by having made it to the show is nothing to sneeze at. But, since I live in Phoenix and watch the D-backs all the time, I can honestly say he has pitched some great games this season (even though he didn’t get the wins thanks to no offense and some bullpen’ers that can’t get it done :x ).

Yeah, I’m not trying to take away from the fact that he made the Majors and is having quite a good season.

I’m a big stats guy though, so I believe his last few years have been pretty mediocre… and I really dislike his delivery… and then I looked at his walk and strikeout rates and almost threw up.

I’ve heard he’s a nice guy though.

Id have to agree that having a faster tempo can help you use your whole body more. Hence the smaller pitchers oswalt, lincecum, ryan, sherrill

It bothers me when someone tries to say anyone in the MLB isn’t good when it is the most elite group of baseball players on the planet. Its especially disheartening since getting drafted and playing affiliated ball is quite the feat in itself. My two cents

Well, if it bothers you, maybe you should read the rest of the thread, where I say that he is good for making it to the majors, but not a good major league player.

Just a general statement: he’s in the Major Leagues, but that doesn’t mean you would want to emulate his delivery.

Whatever delivery that keeps you healthy and doesn’t hurt your arm is one of the best deliveries for you. You can live without velocity and still make it to the Majors as a precision pitcher. The most important pitch is a strike after all. But if you can nail those corners anytime, anywhere you want, hitters will be pressed to try and at least get a .180 batting average on you. I once heard one of the announcers at a Diamondbacks game say that the reason Haren does pause is so that he can look down and make sure that he isn’t doing anything like leading to early so that way he can have his arm and legs in the right motion at the right time.

The one problem with a slow windup is when you have a runner on first base, especially if that runner is fast— if you don’t watch out he’s likely to steal your shoes! Look at someone like Jose Contreras of the Chicago White Sox—they can run on him. So a good idea would be to practice holding runners on and pickoff moves. 8)