Is 47 mph fast for a 7 year old?

My 4 year old hit 28 with a lego across the room the other day, is that good?

1 Like

28 is greatfor a 4 year old especially with a lego. Square edges will cause an unusual amount of drag and also affect rotational forces.

Great job kid. :lol:

With a lego, wow you really can’t grip that very well either, way to go.

Overkill.

Plus, I doubt a 7 year old really throws 47. Internet claims of outrageous youth pitching velocity are the stuff of legend.

I’m hoping bigdaddy76lael comes back and clarifies things. Until then this thread reminds me of a poem by Shel Silverstein called “Tell Me”:

Tell me I’m clever,
Tell me I’m kind,
Tell me I’m talented,
Tell me I’m cute,
Tell me I’m sensitive,
Graceful and wise,
Tell me I’m perfect—
But tell me the truth.

Overkill.

Plus, I doubt a 7 year old really throws 47. Internet claims of outrageous youth pitching velocity are the stuff of legend.[/quote]

I can believe an 8 year old (just turning) throws 47. Adding 5 MPH (picked out of the air, no science behind it) per year equates to 67 at 12 (just turning). Add one more year and it’s 72 at 13.

Add character to a young boy with this type of natural talent and when he grows up he’ll be a leader of men.

My son at 8 yrs old was clocked once at 51mph. Don’t know what his average speed was, but I would guess upper 40’s. I only had him clocked a couple of times. He is now 10 and I would guess he is around 60mph or so. I really don’t care what a gun would say, just his command of the FB matters

A “rule of thumb” I read once is Age x 5 = Fast / Age x 6 = Gas.

A look at the Little League World Series supports this rule. The hardest throwers there each summer range from 65 to 75 mph. Usually these kids are 12-almost-13, some already turned 13. Taking 13 and applying this “rule of thumb,” we get:

13 x 5 = 65
13 x 6 = 78

That is right in line with what we see at the LLWS (65-75).

The problem is that at 7, this rule says 7 x 5 = 35 or 7 x 6 = 42. “47” is way off the chart for a 7 year old, and that’s why I take it with a grain of salt.

PS. When in need of a laugh go to YouTube and watch the velocity claims of youth pitchers.

[quote=“south paw”]
The problem is that at 7, this rule says 7 x 5 = 35 or 7 x 6 = 42. “47” is way off the chart for a 7 year old, and that’s why I take it with a grain of salt.

PS. When in need of a laugh go to YouTube and watch the velocity claims of youth pitchers.[/quote]

Unless he hit puberty at 8, I assumed he’s still throwing the same at early 8 as he was at 7.

Also, if summer = August, the son would be 6.67 years old. 6.67 x 7 = 46.7 MPH. That’s within tolerance of 6 MPH/Year = gas.

[quote=“West2East”]Unless he hit puberty at 8, I assumed he’s still throwing the same at early 8 as he was at 7.

I’ve seen noticeable increases in velocity from 7 to 8.

Also, if summer = August, the son would be 6.67 years old. 6.67 x 7 = 46.7 MPH. That’s within tolerance of 6 MPH/Year = gas.

The problem is that the “6 x Age” formula is already way high. It’s 96 mph at 16; 102 mph at 17. Your proposed “7 x Age” is beyond those speeds - 112 mph at 16 and 119 mph at 17. That’s unheard of. Absent a video I don’t buy that a true 7 year old throws 47.[/quote]

There are so many things wrong with an 80-4 score at any level and to start, bringing it up here.