Is 47 mph fast for a 7 year old?

My son was clocked at 47 mph this summer! He just turned 8 on Dec. 19th! I was wondering how that stacks up to other kids his age, who have a gun for an arm. He has great form and is only allowed to throw 30-35 pitches at a time, maybe 3 days a week! We do rubber band work daily and I am careful not to over work his arm. After this Winter, I’m slowly building his arm back up. He knows that he’s not allowed to throw as hard as he can for at least another month or two. That’ll give him a full three months to strengthen his arm back up before he lets it go again! So, in no way am I over working him or abusing his arm. Also, he’s the one who always wants to practice and gets mad when I want to stop. He’s basically obsessive compulsive when it comes to baseball and knows more about the MLB and it’s history than most adults! Also, he gets private lessons, weekly, from a Major Leaguer and the top prospect in the State of Washington. So he is doing everything properly. :smiley:

I am sure some of us are going to have a hard time responding due to a couple of things:

1. Seems like you are really worried about how fast your kid throws, he’s 7 this is definately the last thing you should be worried about

2. He’s basically obsessive compulsive when it comes to baseball, make sure that it’s not you, I don’t know a 7 year old that knows about band work…especially not doing it daily

3. So he is doing everything properly. This is an awfully bold comment, guess we really can’t help at all.

SO all you are really interested in is if your son is ahead of, on track for…or behind the curve for a 7 year old right.

For starters, it was the MLB player who gave him the rubber bands and a basic daily work out to do! Also my son is the one who requested private lessons! All I’m trying to do is nurture his god given ability and love for the game by giving him the best opportunity to succeed! Furthermore, I’m not really concerned how fast my son can throw the ball as long as he can throw strikes and learns how to pitch properly. Although over a period of time, it’s a nice way to check his arm strength development! Throwing hard isn’t what’s important to me. Proper mechanics, learning how to pitch properly(when to throw split fingered fastball, change up…), making his delivery the same regardless of what pitch he throws and most importantly learning control! But when he’s constantly throwing strikes and making the catchers mitt snap out loudly, it naturally makes one wonder how hard he’d throwing. Trust me when I say baseball not my favorite sport and would rather him play football! I’m only into baseball because he is so much. Also I’m not asking for pitching advise, I’m just wondering how throwing a 47mph fastball compares to other kids his same age!

Totally disagree…at 7 my son will only focus on trying to throw it hard. He will learn to throw “strikes” at a later date. At 47 mph your kid is at the upper level for kids that age. If I were you, I wouldn’t invest in a pitching coach but a radar gun. Save the money for later. Allow the gun to be the coach. Give him a large area to throw to if you want to focus on pitching. Throwing should be his primary objective at that age. If you make his goal to throw it hard and more importantly encourage him and let him know it is OK to throw it hard, his development will superscede any other kid his age taking lessons.

I bought him a radar gun for his eight Birthday! He loves it and it’ll be fun to have when we go to baseball games, rather it be high school game, Little League game or anything in between! Who isn’t curious how hard the pitchers throwing?!!

A lot of people including me are going to pass on commenting much here. Many of your statements use the exclamation point……

[quote]My son was clocked at 47 mph this summer! He just turned 8 on Dec. 19th!

He has great form and is only allowed to throw 30-35 pitches at a time, maybe 3 days a week!

He’s basically obsessive compulsive when it comes to baseball and knows more about the MLB and it’s history than most adults![/quote]

This shows that you have strong emotion about the statements and will strongly defend each of them.

I will answer your question though with my opinion, “Your son is doing fine.”

It’s very exciting to share the best game in the world with your son. More importantly, your son is very lucky to have a dad that is in his life; many kids just don’t have that gift. At the high school level (starting in 9th or 10th grade), the “pace” of training for those kids that have the passion to get to the next level is very intense. It involves proper diet, proper weight training, a throwing program, a hitting program, etc. In addition, hard work in the classroom and properly preparing for SATs and ACTs. Even two years of this gets very “dull” for a kid that wants to advance. They begin to feel like they are focused on one target at the expense of everything else. That can be tough for a kid. In my humble opinion, let your kid have fun, don’t worry about or ever mention velocity. Let him play rec ball and bring up baseball only when he does. In addition, let him play recreational baseball with his friends until he hits high school. If he still has the passion and drive at that point, then get him into a high profile program and hold on for the “recruiting” ride!! That ride will exhaust you more than everything else combined!!

Best of luck, dad.

Dino…your comments are dead on as usual…I too should tell bigdaddy76lael that his son is doing fine speed wise. Good luck.

Seems like the kid is ding well. I think the best advice to give at this age is get enough rest, make sure the mechanics are very good, and focus on a fastball and eventually a change piece. But he is eight, when I was 8 I played about four different sports, so don’t let baseball rule life this young.

He plays everything and is usually the best on his team/league at everything. Today was actually his last day of basketball and last game!! They won 80-4!! lol He enjoys playing basketball, football and golf too (although, I don’t let him play golf during baseball season because it kills his swing) Basically, anything with a ball except soccer! But out of all those, he just loves baseball so much more. Even when he’s playing other sports, he still only talks baseball and wants to always play and practice! I just want to nurture that love, will and ability!

Dino[size=18][/size]

I over use the exclamation mark! It’s been a habit and you’re reading way to much into the usage of it! Seeing as kids are being clocked, I was only wondering if 47mph was good or not! I haven’t even used his new radar gun on him yet. I’m saving it for games and when he feeling like uncorking a heater, once his arm is built back up from the off season. So don’t think I’m obsessed with MPH, when my son just happened to get his clocked last Summer! Speed doesn’t mean crap and can be detrimental if he doesn’t have the proper form and useless if you can’t throw a strike!

Are you here just to boast about your son? It seems with all of the info you are giving about your son (ie private instruction by former Major Leaguer and top Washington prep prospect, saying he has a “gun” for an arm, already saying he is doing everything properly, saying he is usually the best on his team in every sport).
A lot of people on this site have sons who have accomplished a lot in baseball, but they don’t feel the need to brag about it. They might acknowledge their success, but they don’t feel the need to fish for a compliment.

Perhaps it’s better said that your overuse of the exclamation “mark” expresses your obvious enthusiasm. My apology.

I don’t have anything pertinent to add to the question of whether or not 47 mph is below, at or above average for a 7 turned 8 year old. My own son wasn’t “clocked” until he went to a Perfectgame Underclasss NE Regional when he was a sophomore in high school.

By that time he was mature enough not to try to overthrow just to see a number on the gun. I didn’t want a gun to tell me if he was throwing hard or not anyway. I could hear the strings buzzing from behind the backstop and when hitters were swinging and missing, I guessed it was hard enough. But that’s just me, I’d used a handheld radar before and there wasn’t anything interesting about it in my mind.

Radar guns are like alot of other things…the real good ones are real expensive. Since the only thing the machine is telling you is a number, you’ll want to buy the most accurate gun made. Don’t get cheap here. Spend the thousand dollars that a good one costs. These things are very durable and you should get ten years use out of it. Keep a logbook with dates and times, the weather, some personal notes and perhaps video tape each outing. All of this should help nurture that love, will and ability.

Just a warning though, people will think you are obsessed. I know… hard to believe!

47 is great for a 8, you ought to be proud.

That said he’s not going to be throwing 110 as an adult, or 105, or even 100 more than likely. There’s a limit to how hard a adult male can throw a ball. Some kids just get there quicker than others.

Good luck, and when the kids starts to top out, weather that be 14, 16, or 18, and it doesn’t meet your expectations, please try to refrain from making his life miserable.

47 is really good for 8 years old. I think it’s great that he gets private lessons and has such drive at such a young age.

Also congrats on your son being, “usually the best on his team/league” at everything.

Now a word of advice. The day is gonna come when he peaks and/or is no longer the top dog. When that day comes you’re going to need to be prepared to accept it a help him work through the disappointment, and it can’t be overshadowed by your own disappointment and/or obsession.

Finally, You really stop him from playing golf for fear of “killing his swing”?
Sorry, but the kid is 8 he isn’t playing for the Yankees.

I don’t want to get into this discussion but I’ve got some questions:

What gun are we talking about that registered your son at that speed?

How many pitches?

Was that just the highest number that came up?

What distance from the plate?

Game or pen session?

Wales, I think you just did. :slight_smile:

Yeah I know… What can I say its snowing outside and there’s not much to do on a Sunday anyway :lol:

[quote=“Turn 22”]47 is really good for 8 years old. I think it’s great that he gets private lessons and has such drive at such a young age.

Also congrats on your son being, “usually the best on his team/league” at everything.

Now a word of advice. [/quote]

Wow! 80-4 in a youth basketball game. And proud of it,too. Wonder how the boys and their parents on the other team feel.

Dave Serrano, coach at CS Fullerton, states he looks for “arm quickness, not velocity. Aptitudes and intangibles to be successful. . . A pitcher’s character. I watch his presence and body language as well as his interaction with his teammates. How does the player treat the guy who is lowest on the depth chart? What is his level of respect for his teachers? Any pitcher who is on the mound showing up a teammate or showing negative body language will be crossed off my list - regardless of how talented he may be…” (Practice Perfect Baseball, ABCA, pg. 68, emphasis mine.)

I coached my son at this level in both sports, baseball and basketball. Actually, not baseball, as he didn’t play at 7 and 8 because he threw to hard for his age group. Anyway, back to basketball. At 7 and 8, he was heads better than his peers, and he played up. Instead of letting him make every basket, he was just physically more mature, I put him at point guard with these restrictions: Pass the ball, rebound and play defense. Everyone was to be a part of the scoring, and it didn’t matter whether we won or lost (not at 7 and 8), but it was more important that everyone of these young kids enjoyed the game. Many games he would only score 2 or 4 points, but would have 20 boards and 10 assists, and was a one-man defensive stopper. The kids had fun and learned the game. Two of the boys on the team were twins and both were equally child prodigies - one in piano and the other in math. Neither knew what a basketball was. Yet, I saw my son give the ball on numerous occasions to one of the twins on a fast break, only to have the kid turn it over and my son hustle back on defense to stop the other team. And he kept passing the ball to these twins until they each scored at least one basket that year. That day when the twins made a basket was the happiest of my son’s early life. I’m not even sure my son remembers much about playing basketball when he was 7 or 8, but the twins remember the day when they scored a basket.

Another story of two young 9 year old’s at the schoolyard with their dad. One dad knew his son was exceptionally talented, and didn’t let any bit of child’s play interfere with his son’s track to the Majors. The other dad didn’t even let his son play organized baseball before 9. They met one day at the baseball field. The exceptionally talented kid was having practice as he always did, seven days a week, when he wasn’t playing a game, and he was on four different teams. The kid who didn’t play organized baseball asked if he could play catch with the other boy, because kids play catch. The 1st father replied that his son didn’t have time to mess around with other kids. Practice was too important. All his son did and thought about was baseball, and he was going pro and couldn’t be hindered. The 2nd father was stunned, so he grabbed his glove and played catch with his son. The 1st father had pitching lessons, and his exceptionally talented son threw well. The 2nd father also did pitching practice with his son, who threw harder and more accurate than the exceptionally talented son. Now a dual was on. Next was long throw. The 1st son threw the ball far for his age, and knew he was exceptionally talented. The 2nd son stepped back 50’ further and played long toss. Then it was hitting. The exceptionally talented kid hit the ball well, but not nearly as far as the other kid. On and on the dual went, and the exceptionally talented kid always came up second. They walked away that day missing an opportunity for a kid to play catch and have fun with another kid. My son and I went home and laughed about the kid who was in dad’s prison. Funny things happen over time. The exceptionally talented kid, who had only played on winning elite teams from birth to 13, missed the cut at 14. He was just too small to compete with the other boys who had their growth spurts before he did. He’s still exceptionally talented, but we played with him last fall and he and his dad were more humble.

Character matters. We have no say about who is physically talent, no more so than the twins’ father could say it was because of their great teaching and instructions that their son’s were prodigies in piano and math at the age of 10. But we do have a say in building character that respects even the least member on a team or class. And respect for others would never let a youth game get out of hand to humiliate another team.

Great stories West.

Mine was the kid that wasn’t very athletic at 8 to 12 years old. He was never asked to try out for the elite teams and was content to play with AA travel teams with his friends. Don’t get me wrong he worked hard to get better, stronger, faster. Through those years he was just awkward.

Funny thing happened when he was 12. He started to get more athletic. As a pitcher he was asked to play on several elite teams at 13 -14. He politely refused, staying with his friends, always remaining humble, and working hard to improve. He always remembered the bragging kids on the elite teams and how they treated players on lesser teams. (Before someone gets upset, not all kids on elite teams acted like this.)

He is now a 6’1" 180 lb., 15 year old freshman in HS. Made the varsity team and is the No.2 starter. This kid who maybe threw 47 at 9 -10, now has a 83-85 mph fastball, along with nice offspeed pitches.
A lot of the “elite” kids see him now and about soil their pants when they step into the box against him. Needless to say the bragging has stopped.

I guess the point is you never know what’s going to happen as kids grow and mature. My son is not perfect, nor would I make such a claim. However, as a father, with all he has accomplished thus far, the one I’m most proud of is the fact that he’s stayed humble. Confident but not cocky and continues to work hard to improve every day.

47 is really good at age 7, at that age i was throwin about 38. ( I found that out at our city fair :p). Gotta make sure that the kid is doing it cuz he wants too but not make him do it so much he will get burnt out Also really pay close attention to if he actually wants it. I know I wanted to do karate cuz i wanted to be a power ranger on TV, after three years i was bored of it even tho i won national championships. But if he really does like baseball he needs to keep going. Be the best at the end not just now.