Is 30 to old?

Here is the deal. I am now 30 years old and have not had a thing to do with baseball since high school. During high school i was an Ace. My freshman year my 4 seam fastball was on average 80mph. My 2 seam is what i threw the most because it had more movement on it then most high school curve balls and that was in the high 70s. Two weeks into my senior year i wrecked a dirk bike and totally destroyed my arm. Two months ago was the first time i touched a baseball since.

For some reason i woke up and have this insane urge to play again. I mean its at the front of my mind more then anything. I went down to the park and threw some balls and it felt really good. I went to a place here in town and threw about 60 pitches and i was shocked to see i can throw in the low 90s totally out of shape and my mechanics are a little rusty. Mostly because i have not stretched in years.

For the past two months i have been doing nothing but working out, strengthening my core, working on my flexibility, and stamina. I would say in about 6 months i will be in the best shape i have ever been in my life.

Due to my age and back ground i know the odds are like buying a one dollar lottery ticket and expecting to win millions but i just cant sleep knowing that i quit. So what should i do now? Should i wait around and look for some tryouts or should i start pushing emails with videos of myself pitching to ball clubs? I feel like i am already to old so waiting for days to go by is just killing my chances all that much more.

Here are my basic stats:

Height: 6’0"
Weight: 202lbs
Throws: Left

4S FB: 89-93
2S FB: 87-90
Slider: 84-85
Curve: Unknown
Nuckle: Unknown
Change: Unknown

I will update these stats in two months.

Too old? I should say not! There are what is called senior leagues, for players 30 and over, and if you are so desperate to get back into the game and resume pitching you can hook up with one of those leagues—they’re scattered all over the country, and no doubt there’s one near you. Get back into shape, relearn some of the fundamentals, get a couple of those pitches back into your repertoire, and go for it! There are a lot of former major leaguers who have gotten into some of these leagues, just for the sheer pleasure of once again playing the game, and you would certainly be welcome. :slight_smile: 8)

Not much luck finding a senior league. Wow i feel old just saying that. There are two that are some what close but still 3 and a half hour drive from where i live. I found a few broken links to teams around the Springfield Missouri area, which is where i live now. It seems my largest hurdle i face right now is finding a mound to practice on. Right now i am throwing in a field outside of town :oops:

Ask yourself…
what are your goals in baseball?
Is it just entertainment… just go for it!
You could even be 60 and still play baseball because you just like it.

If you want to be really competitive and get on a high level you should think twice. I don’t know you personally but it’s hard to keep up the physical effort needed to perform at high level. Those young guys around 20 are in their prime and adjustments can be made easier.

I don’t know that I agree with that. Can someone say Jim Morris?

If you are truly throwing in 90’s… and you’re a lefty… why not give it a shot.

If you’re confident your stuff is truly good and you’re in the “best shape of your life” …

• look for some tryouts for some MLB teams and/or some of their affiliate teams.
  • Try to contact and agent to throw a bullpen and possibly get some representation
  • tryout for an independent league team

There’s so many options if you really want to give it a shot. What do you have to lose?!? All you can do is not make a team and go back to bagging groceries :wink: j/k.

I don’t know your “life” situation… meaning if you have a family, etc… But if you’re a single guy with no responsibilities… wouldn’t you be willing to struggle along in ‘A’ ball just for the opportunity at a possible shot?

j

Actually i am pretty serious. I do understand that the chances of me going anywhere with baseball at my age is very very slim but i ask myself every day all day “Why, and is it worth it?” I always answer “Yes” because i love the game, its the only part of my life i have missed. I woke up at the age of 30 and realized i am to late to follow my dreams but i am not going to lay down and accept it is over :slight_smile: I have the ability and the skill.

Even if this does not go anywhere i would still have accomplished something. I got back into shape and i would know that i did what i could and would not be asking myself when i am 40 or 70 years old if i could have been somebody in baseball.

As far as my life situation goes, i do have two kids and i am a single father but i do have help if i need it. I am currently a quality assurance engineer at a security systems manufacturer, not a bagger :wink:

We were posting at same time… So see my post above.

j

My old buddy and college roommate is still playing pro ball in Canada and he’s 31 like me … he’s a righty, throwing upper 80’s (was a mid-90’s guy in college and when he was drafted by the Twins). Doing TUFFCUFF and LOVING life. He’s got a kid on the way and he’s realistic that it’s for love of the game, but he’s really having fun and is a dominant pitcher in his league.

Life’s too short. Get out there and keep playing!!!

I don’t know that I agree with that. Can someone say Jim Morris?

j[/quote]

Yeah, and like I said…
I don’t know him personally.

Above 30 their just aren’t much professional players left and those who stay are most of the time some killer players that are just sick.

When you really got the motivation, got the stuff you told us above, got the mentallity, haven’t got work/kids/wife or other obligations that can get in your way I’ll just say: “Do it!”.
But it’s gonna be harder then some 20-year old grasshopper.

And like jazzmik said: just attend at some try-outs, show them what you’ve got and don’t get dissapointed when they chose someone else but just keep looking somewhere else because with the motivatoin you’ll get a spot!

Try out! thats all i have to say. look at tim wakefield and Randy schilling…both 43 and still trucking away. granted they are two of the best pitchers to ever play the game, but schilling now throws from the high 80s to the low 90s, with location as his greatest weapon.

any progress?