Inverted W and Scap Loading

Hey Guys,

My piching coach wants me to get better scap loading. Are there any specific ways/drill/things i can do to really get my shoulders back and loaded, and maybe work on that inverted W that you see with Mark Prior and others?

Thanks!

[quote=“SP1B”]Hey Guys,

My piching coach wants me to get better scap loading. Are there any specific ways/drill/things i can do to really get my shoulders back and loaded, and maybe work on that inverted W that you see with Mark Prior and others?

Thanks![/quote]

lmao have you not read anything on this site? seriously, mark prior supposedly has the worst mechanics and the inverted W is VERY bad, it will cause many injuries, but you can scap load without inverting.

honestly i havnt been on here much, and tend to stay out of debates because of the RIStar era…
But I had just thought that as long as the Inverted W wasnt exaggerated or pronounced like Mark Prior, it wasn’t going to be too bad on the arm. But I suppose I was wrong :stuck_out_tongue: So does that mean the Inverted L is bad as well?

And how can I work on my scap loading, because that is one thing missing in my mechanics, and I don’t know how to work on it other thank just concentrating on it during my throws.

Sorry for my ignorance :?

there is no such thing as the “RIStar” era. It was more of the “RIStar” dark ages

[quote=“SP1B”]honestly i havnt been on here much, and tend to stay out of debates because of the RIStar era…
But I had just thought that as long as the Inverted W wasnt exaggerated or pronounced like Mark Prior, it wasn’t going to be too bad on the arm. But I suppose I was wrong :stuck_out_tongue: So does that mean the Inverted L is bad as well?

And how can I work on my scap loading, because that is one thing missing in my mechanics, and I don’t know how to work on it other thank just concentrating on it during my throws.

Sorry for my ignorance :?[/quote]

no prob buddy, the inverted L is also bad from what I understand, but you can do exercises for scap loading

like stand about 6 inches from a wall and put your butt on the wall, then arch your back and pull your shoulders back against the wall. hard to explain

or just lay face down on a table, bed, floor. etc, and pinch your shoulder blades together.

so what now? you dont throw a fastball? your hopeless.

i do throw a fastball just it more of a sinker its fast but drops like a sinker. just like jp howell’s

and you can locate all of those pitches for a strike in any count?

believe it or not but I have better control on my sinker and slider then my former 4-seam and 12-6 curve

I’m not sure any mechanical topic has gotten more legs than scap loading. Its a “result”, not something to be worked on. When the shoulders separate from the hips properly and the front shoulder opens the scaps load. It can’t be “worked on” and even if it could you don’t throw harder by loading your scaps. If you don’t exhibit scap loading you’re not getting separation, its typical of young pitchers. When the hips come so do the shoulders.

The problem with artificially loading your scaps is that it makes you lead with the elbows out of the glove and almost always gets you in a hyperabduction position.

You SHOULD strengthen the scap area for maintenance and health but velocity is not created or lost in the scaps.

First, let me say that scap loading and the “inverted W” are two separate issues. The title of this thread mentioned the “inverted W” but the actual question asked did not.

I generally agree with RBish11’s comments. Scap loading happens - it’s not something you try to do. However, I will say that how much you scap load could be limited by your lack of flexibility and backside strength.

One thing you can do is band/tubing work where you pinch your shoulder blades together as much as possible while doing the band/tubing exercises that work the back side. This will help stretch the front side while strengthening the back side. Strive to get your shoulder blades close enought together to hold a pencil between them. (You’ll probably have to work your way there.)

You can also pinch your shoulder blades together during other exercises such as arm circles, etc.

[quote=“Roger”]First, let me say that scap loading and the “inverted W” are two separate issues. The title of this thread mentioned the “inverted W” but the actual question asked did not.

I generally agree with RBish11’s comments. Scap loading happens - it’s not something you try to do. However, I will say that how much you scap load could be limited by your lack of flexibility and backside strength.

One thing you can do is band/tubing work where you pinch your shoulder blades together as much as possible while doing the band/tubing exercises that work the back side. This will help stretch the front side while strengthening the back side. Strive to get your shoulder blades close enought together to hold a pencil between them. (You’ll probably have to work your way there.)

You can also pinch your shoulder blades together during other exercises such as arm circles, etc.[/quote]

alright thanks! Sorry about the inverted W thing, I just saw Mark Prior and others did it and assumed it was good without really knowing much about it. But now I do :stuck_out_tongue:
Again, thanks for the help, I’ll be sure to incorporate that into my stretching and workouts.

LOL! I belong to that era/age. RIstar was my homie… :hijack:

do not pitch like mark prior… the inverted W is horrible, u’ll get hurt and have little sucess

First off what happened to RiStar I remember him but have not been on for a while.

I also agree but what’s the difference between inverted W and inverted L is it just that either your pitching arm side is over your shoulders (inverted W) or your pitching arm side forearm is hanging down vertically (inverted L). Also, would the best case scenario to throw from be a horizontal W like Maddux and Clemens?

He apparently didn’t hear what he wanted to hear so he left. Word on the street is that he went over to baseballfever.com and bad-mouthed the folks on this site - many of whom honestly tried to help him out. :dismay: