Inverted V is really a killer

Stephen Strasburg pitching mechanics

it’s so sad that Stephen Strasburg second time in the season did not make a start because in the fifth inning after straining the flexor tendon in his right forearm

inverted V is really a killer

Look at Joel Zumaya, Jake Peavy, now Stephen Strasburg in 2010,

who’s next?

What is the inverted V ?

Judging by the examples…it’s what multi-millionares do…Hyde must be anti-capitalist :? …Could be what CYA winners do…nah Zumaya hasn’t won one yet…maybe it’s what guys who sign contracts for more than 10 million do…thats it!!! Hyde thinks these guys make too much…You never hear him single out guys making league minimum as poor mechers…so it must be the ultra elite.
We should all condem those bad rich guys…we should force them to be poorer…they can give all their canola to NoBlama The Liar…I hear he needs money…

A 16 year old that is wiser and smarter than every single scout in the majors…as well as every GM and Owner…Australia is gonna have one smart PM when this kid qualifies age wise… :wink:
really Hyde I hope you send a letter to the Nationals and share that wisdom with them…I’m certain Strasburg will immediately change his mechs in the face of that wisdom.

i agree. not even the nationals pitching coach no’s it. your gonna make a great one

I have read a few of his past post, just wanted him to open the can of worms.
This would be an interesting study as to the # of inverted W or just half of the W for the back side V to the high elbow that I’m assuming he is a proponent of. As to how many big league pitchers who have played even made the bigs would count vs the ones that have not pitched this way. It would be interesting. We could call it the W vs V or the high elbow to the carrier length to the method. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hydejing”]Stephen Strasburg pitching mechanics

it’s so sad that Stephen Strasburg second time in the season did not make a start because in the fifth inning after straining the flexor tendon in his right forearm

inverted V is really a killer

Look at Joel Zumaya, Jake Peavy, now Stephen Strasburg in 2010,

who’s next?[/quote]

Wow you have listed 3 pitchers in the entire course of major league baseball history who have the similar arm actions. Let me see, one has had arm trouble yes. The other two let me see: Peavy has had a few elbow problems but nothing serious (strains mainly) and Strasburg has had 1 strain and one sore shoulder. Yeah you’ve really found the magic formula for baseball pitcher :roll:

A question that remains unanswered by Chris or his followers is how many pitchers have been injured after using non-inverted W, or M, mechanics. I’d be willing to guess that the number is enormous as compared to the inverted W.

Broken record time here. I’ve suggested over and over that this is, plain and simple, a nasty thing to ask your body to do. A very high risk activity. You’re taking the involved muscles and connective tissues to the extremes of what they can handle, regardless of the mechanics involved.

I also theorize, but admit to no statistical data supporting it, that along with over-use, velocity is a contributor to the magnitude of the injury risk. A well conditioned adult throwing slowly will have less injury risk than that same athlete throwing over 100 mph.

In a nutshell, throwing hard is tough on the tissues involved and pushing that to the extremes of what’s possible pushes you into the red zone farther and farther. I’d be curious to see what the stats would show if one were to track them.

An inverted VW can really be injurious…especially if you forget to buckle up.

Wouldn’t it be a ^M then?

That’s pretty close, buwhite…

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/galleries/1170049/0132431450085.jpg

How about an SAT question?

Automobile is to crash as pitching is to _____________.

a. 15 million dollars
b. 60’ 6"
c. hitting
d. arm injury

The answer is :
d. arm injury

This was a real SAT question, honest indian. :twisted:

quote]

Wow you have listed 3 pitchers in the entire course of major league baseball history who have the similar arm actions. Let me see, one has had arm trouble yes. The other two let me see: Peavy has had a few elbow problems but nothing serious (strains mainly) and Strasburg has had 1 strain and one sore shoulder. Yeah you’ve really found the magic formula for baseball pitcher :roll:[/quote]

well theres also carpenter, wainwright, prior, wood, reyes, ryan, zito, and ian kennedy. theres more, then pitchers like clemens, maddux, halladay, koufax, gibson, and nolan ryan who have a clean arm action, and ryan threw 100mph but had a long injury free career and he didnt make an inverted v or L.

[quote=“laflippin”]An inverted VW can really be injurious…especially if you forget to buckle up.[/quote] :rofl2:

Now ya’ll can believe it or don’t viewing public…but let ol jd tell you what happens if you endure the dreaded inverted VW syndrome as it happened to a teen aged jd back inna day in the interesting and intrigueing city of Radcliff Ky.
jd and his wild and crazy friends were gonna go down to the ol fishin hole for some swimmin and festivities…one of the mentioned buddies happened to be this girl whom owned a bug. We (jd, Jimmy and Pat) jump in this thing and off we go…jd and Pat in the back seat Jimmy in front ridin shotgun with his 250 lb frame. Well the way to the creek is down this gravel road and this girl was none too experienced…she fishtailed, we spun, hit a rock and flipped 3 or 4 times…Jimmy…not be seatbelted…catapulted right through the sun roof…20’ up and plopped down in the red Ky. clay…bleeding…jd was fine, Pat…broke his toe…the driver…scared and bruised but ok (No alcohol was involved here just inexperience)…I held his face and finger together until an ambulance arrived and hauled him off. So let that be a lesson to ya’ll. Inverted VW much worse on the face and finger and toe than elbow…I think… :?

[quote=“pitcherman95”]quote]

well theres also carpenter, wainwright, prior, wood, reyes, ryan, zito, and ian kennedy. theres more, then pitchers like clemens, maddux, halladay, koufax, gibson, and nolan ryan who have a clean arm action, and ryan threw 100mph but had a long injury free career and he didnt make an inverted v or L.[/quote]

Carpenter has won a Cy Young and has been healthy the pst 2 years. Wainwright has never been on the DL. Prior had other issues that likely lead to his arm problems. Wood has had an injury filled career. Ryan (if you are talking about Nolan) I thought he was supposedly one of the pitchers who had a good arm action? Zito has never been on the DL.

JD
I’ve been to radcliff Ky quite the place.
I once had a vw never had it inverted but did have a wheel fall off. So even a none inverted VW can cause the wheels to fall off …

Ryan did have good arm action, and the M mechanics Ryan is the model that Nyman uses for his DVDs. So the inverted VW will live another day once we get it back on 4 wheels (That poor dead horse)

I see people from or that have been there literally all over this country (No surprise when all of your friends were military brats who travelled the globe…many before they were out of diapers…my wife included)…it’s a hobby of mine to randomly happen into friends I haven’t seen or heard of for 30 or 40 yrs…always interesting (Amongst the wierdness was finding out that a guy who I used to play football with lives in the town I live in now…nbd if it’s Chicago your talkin bout or NY City…but Green Cove Springs?? we hang out occasionally and shake our heads about it) :wink:

I’ll say…the MOST dangerous VW moment that I ever had, was having a shock go out in backwoods Ga…you know…back when ol jd had long hair, a colored fella who was my best friend…and my beautiful innocent looking girlfriend/wife…oh yah you certainly don’t want to break down in that situation on a Friday night in Calhoun Ga. with all the boys just gettin off and coolin down (The gas station wouldn’t even rent me the tools to do it myself…until I told him we’d be sleeping in his parking lot then :shock:)…I’d much rather go inverted if you get my drift…strangely Jimmy would think just the opposite :lol:

[quote="Priceless]

Carpenter has won a Cy Young and has been healthy the pst 2 years. Wainwright has never been on the DL. Prior had other issues that likely lead to his arm problems. Wood has had an injury filled career. Ryan (if you are talking about Nolan) I thought he was supposedly one of the pitchers who had a good arm action? Zito has never been on the DL.[/quote]

maddux, halladay, clemens gibson, koufax, and ryan were the ones with a clean arm action. strasburg and ryan throw about the same velocity, but ryan had good mechanics and didnt get hurt.

[quote=“pitcherman95”]

maddux, halladay, clemens gibson, koufax, and ryan were the ones with a clean arm action. strasburg and ryan throw about the same velocity, but ryan had good mechanics and didnt get hurt.[/quote]

this is from O’Leary’s website:

Injured tendon in 1986. ␣ Elbow surgery (August 23, 1975). ␣ Injuries during 1978 season. ␣ Tendon “popped” in 1967.
Forced to take entire season off.

Yup it certainly seems that Ryan never got injured :roll: