Inventing a new pitch

does any body have any new pitches
or new ways of throwing an old pitch

i just wanna know if anything else is out there

the last was the gyroball and that is too complicated

suggestions please

actually yes i do its a change up and i can’t take the credit for it but my cousin pitcher for VMI D 1 baseball taught me take ur two middle fingers put them along the 2 seam lines take the outside ones and slide them down as far as possible but still maintaining looseness to the grip kinda put the outside fingers pointing down diagonal to the ground and that is the webbed change-up. as we call it.

Ever hear of the “slip” pitch?
There’s a story behind it, and it goes back to Paul Richards, a very good catcher who was renowned as a teacher of pitching. In 1939 he turned up in Atlanta as the playing manager of the AA Crackers. There was a pitcher on the team, an old-timer named Deacon Johnson—or was it Deacon Jones, or maybe Hosselplotz?—who threw a bewildering breaking pitch that for want of a better name he called a “slip” pitch, and the batters used to have fits trying to hit it. Richards wanted to know more about the pitch, because after all he had to catch it, but Johnson (or Jones, or Hosselplotz) was a selfish coot who wouldn’t even show it to his own manager! So Richards had to stand to one side and watch the guy and make notes, and when he was sure he had it down pat he decided that if he ever made it to the majors as a manager he would teach this pitch to whoever wanted to learn it.
Well, he did come up to the White Sox as manager in 1951, and he brought the pitch with him, and he taught it to a few guys, including Harry Dorish and Skinny Brown who had a fair degree of success with it when they could get it to work. But no one was talking, and the poor sportswriters couldn’t figure out what it was, although there was some speculation that it might be a variation of the palm ball—and so it seemed that this pitch would forever remain a mystery wrapped in a riddle inside an enigma.
Oh yeah? What nobody knew was that there was another pitcher who knew about the slip pitch. He had seen it thrown in games back in AA and had made a mental note for future reference. He came up to the White Sox in 1944, and in 1948 just before the start of spring training he was traded to the Yankees where he promptly established himself as a very, very good pitcher with a great team. In 1953 after the All-Star break, this pitcher, whose name was Ed Lopat, uncorked the pitch, and now the batters were screaming not only blue murder but also arson, armed robbery, first-degree burglary, grand larceny breaking pitch, and every other felony they could think of because they couldn’t hit it for sour apples!
When I asked Mr. Lopat about that pitch, what was all the mystery about it, he burst out laughing. When he finally stopped, he said he couldn’t understand what it was with those sportswriters coming on like that, trying to make something arcane out of such a simple pitch. And then he told me: “Get a knuckleball grip and throw the slider with it.” That’s what a “slip” pitch is—a slider thrown with a knuckleball grip (or a knuckleball thrown with the wrist action of the slider, take your pick). I had to agree that it was indeed a simple pitch—and I promptly added it to my arsenal. If you can throw a slider, you can pick this one up.
Incidentally, I have to disagree with you about the gyroball. It doesn’t exist—not under that name. It’s a variation of the screwball. :slight_smile: 8)

I wouldnt let your cousin take credit for it either, that is how the nastiest changeup in baseball is thrown right now. Edinson Volquez holds his changeup just like that, and so do I. Nasty, love it.

I was messing around and was experimenting with different grips and this was one of the ones that surprised me the most.

ya its an amazing pitch very good i really never knew who threw

can somebody post a clearer grip of the pitch

here ya go i uploaded this

[/url]

Yep that is the grip!

[quote=“loco123”]can somebody post a clearer grip of the pitch[/quote] lol that picture wasnt clear enough? could see all 5 fingers and exactly where the seems are in contrast…dont think it gets much clearer

alright, i have this pitch i’ve been throwing for some years, i believe it is the original palmball maybe i’m wrong, anyway it definetly works so it’s a pitch and it is not thrown with your average grip making it something different from what most people come up with being variations of curves or change ups.

take your ring finger and your thumb, grip the ball with those fingers like a forkball and get the index and middle finger just above the ball so your dont tip it to the batter by having both fingers hih in the air. now the idea here is to throw it exactly like a forkball but seeing oyu got it wedged so deep it really slow down the pitch and you can either get it to top spin quit a bit and get a real 12/6 break or you can try to reduce as much spin as possible to make it a pitch thrown with fastball arm action traveling VERY VERY slow. because of that, for a while i thought it might have been the slip pitch because its almost like a controled badly executed fastball. of course when you throw it the second way you dont want to over throw it because just like a eephus pitch this pitch can get predictable.

in my last season i ended up with a 2.42ERA 83 K in 63 innings pitched with only a fastball and that pitch throwing curves here and there.

oh and here’s an idea for a guy who wants to become famous in the bigs with a pitch of his own, the changeup that gets cutter mouvement instead of tailling out like everyone does. :wink:

I hold my changeup like that but my pinkee and pointer finger are only about half way down the ball. And my change does cut(don’t know why) not like a two seam fastball but like a cutter. It doesn’t break any more the 2 inches but it does break.

hmm i dunno, heres one. they call it a Shake ball. i saw it on youtube.
they say its pretty much a loosly griped spitter.

the slip pitch is a great pitch
it show be taught and used more
it is easy to throw

ideas

knuckle screwball
slip pitch with change or circle change grip
slip pitch with split grip
screwball with slip pitch grip

the slip pitch broke my finger nail
now it cant throw it no more
i used the tips of the nail
am i throwing it right

Kelvin—nobody said you had to use your fingernail. Most pitchers, when they throw a knuckler or any variation of it, will simply use their fingertips, and they can use two or three—it’s a matter of preference. I did it both ways when I threw it, and often when I used a three-finger grip I put a bit more pressure on that extra finger. The pitch would break a little differently each time, and I had a great time mixing up that stuff and watching the batters go ballistic trying to hit it. More snake jazz! :wink: :slight_smile: :baseballpitcher: